New Oakley PCB available - Looping ADSR & VCA

Moog, Synthesizers.com, MOTM, Modcan, Moon and others..... Go big!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

jfm3
Common Wiggler

Post by jfm3 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

Jeff loves to pipe up and complain about MOTM as much as possible.

Sorry you're so bitter Jeff. Must be rough.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:11 pm

synthetic wrote:Hey I like MOTM format too. But how many modules released in that format in the last three years, compared to MU, compared to Euro?
How many kinds of new apples have been created in the last three years compared to candybars? Apples are dead! My next purchase is going to be a candy bar! :razz: :lol:

synthetic
TASCAM Hero!

Post by synthetic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Shit, I'm sorry fanboiz. :waah:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:37 pm

synthetic wrote:Shit, I'm sorry fanboiz. :waah:
sokay, sweet synthetic, we still luvs ya! :hug: :loves: :lick:

Maybe you are just too caught up in the fast paced world of fierce corporate competition? :hihi: ("crap, Yamaha, Zoom and Marantz each came out with 4 new models of flash recorders this year! We had better come out with 5!" :goo: 8_) )

Out of curiousity I started trying to compile a list of all the new MOTM format modules released in the last three years but . . . I have more important things to be doing today :roll: :msnsmack: but while Synth Tech has only had one or two, Modcan has had 9. :party: Also there were a couple from STG and Cyndustries. I know there are a few I'm forgetting! And then getting into DIY land there were quite a few from Oakley and other designers etc. (for the new folks that aren't aware, check http://www.bridechamber.com/bridechambe ... dules.html )

Of course as you know, while I love the MOTM format I also love the MU format. I think part of the reason MU has taken of in recent years is because there was more of a void until recently. Until about 6 years ago Synthesizers.com was the only game in town, right? The COTK and Moon came on the scene about 5 or 6 years ago, only 2 or 3 years ago Mos-Lab and STG got going and within the last year (I think) MegaOhm and Grove Audio have sprung up.

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:54 am

wyrtti wrote:Does the new Looping VCA/ADSR work with the existing CV-ADSR board? Ie. could one already make a looping CV-ADSR/VCA, or does that need some changes in the CV board?
The existing four pot board - that's the one that adds the CV inputs and is fitted to the left hand side of the 2U VC-ADSR module - is completely compatible with the new VC-ADSR PCB.

You could rip the old VC-ADSR board out and replace it with the new issue and add the switch. Which is what I've done on my silver panelled module. However, the pots are smaller on the new board so you have to be careful with fitting a new board to an older panel to make sure the pots sit in the correct place.

Just to recap - the 2U VC-ADSR module is made from two PCBs, the four pot and the VC-ADSR. It is the VC-ADSR PCB - the more complex of the two PCBs - that has been upgraded.

Tony

wyrtti
Muffdiver's Helmet

Post by wyrtti » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 am

Thank you, Tony! This is wonderful news. :sb:
Eschew obfuscation!

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:19 am

tony im keen on building this w/ the vc pcb
does it have a lot of normalisation?

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 am

Luka wrote:does it have a lot of normalisation?
I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean to build it with banana sockets? In that case the only normalised connections to the jack sockets is ground which you could ignore in a banana version. There's also the gate input from the optional Oakley Buss to the gate socket, and a +5V reference for the VCA IN socket. Both of which you could ignore without any real loss of functionality.

To make the full 2U VC-ADSR you need both Four pot and VC-ADSR PCBs. There are two four way 0.1" interconnects that join the two boards together. The CVs that control the ADS & R parameters are added together with the ordinary ADS & R pot values.

Tony

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:30 am

yup you hit the nail on the head

i have a panel design ready to go for a dual envylope (loopable vc-adsr) and i was wondering if i used your pcbs instead that i would need to add any extra switches where you have normalisation set up in your jack switches

thanks for info

Noiseconformist
Common Wiggler

Re: New Oakley PCB available - Looping ADSR & VCA

Post by Noiseconformist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Synthbuilder wrote: More information:

http://www.oakleysound.com/adsr.htm
Tony
nice one (as I could see in Cambridge)

But I just realised that I'll gonna have a hard time mounting my special switch on it. No more space! :hmm:

Michael.
Last edited by Noiseconformist on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:More information:
http://www.oakleysound.com/adsr.htm
From page 6:
"The older style ceramic low-K capacitors are strange flat plates made from pot."

:hmm:

:rastanana:

And here is a minor typo on page 15:
"16mm Alpha pots are pretty touch little chaps" :eek:

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Ha! I also noticed that line about pot too.

I subsequently ate several of those caps, but didn't get a buzz at all.

:sadbanana:

Synthbuilder
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Synthbuilder » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:48 am

JohnLRice wrote:
"The older style ceramic low-K capacitors are strange flat plates made from pot."

:hmm:

:rastanana:

And here is a minor typo on page 15:
"16mm Alpha pots are pretty touch little chaps" :eek:
You had me searching there... this is in my generic project Builder's isn't Guide isn't it? I'll get the 'touch' bit sorted shortly. All considered one typo in any document that I've written is probably a record low. I'm sure they'll be more hiding in there somewhere.
idiotboy wrote: I subsequently ate several of those caps, but didn't get a buzz at all.
You have to smoke them not eat them... :rastanana: :hihi:

But pot is clay in this case...

Tony

SepticUnderground
Zombi Wiggler

Post by SepticUnderground » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:20 am

idiotboy wrote:Ha! I also noticed that line about pot too.

I subsequently ate several of those caps, but didn't get a buzz at all.

:sadbanana:
whahaha :D
http://soundcloud.com/septicstudio
FREE ALBUMS! http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Septic_Underground

Stopped with becoming the biggest 5U slut in the world

Return to “5U Format Modules”