MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advice needed on groove
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Advice needed on groove
alexander92
When I making a track, i start with the drums. Though often, the rest of the melody doesn't groove along with the other instruments, such as bass. I can get it right eventually, but I'm sure there is some kind of plugin which does this faster. Ableton does this by extracting groove, but I want to do it realtime.

I came across this page: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/plot_spectrum.html

I'm not sure, but I think it's Autocorrelation which I'm after. So basically taking the highest frequencies of the drums, or the dominant frequencies perhaps?, and applying it realtime to the rest of my instruments.

Would be awesome if you can recommend such a plugin.

Thanks
alexander92
Too partly answer my own question: the free reaplugs, there is one included which does audio to midi conversion real time. Quite fun to use as you get an immediate groove going, albeit it's one midi note the Reascript is spitting out...

And there is is sidechaining off course, but I don't really bother with it, and I think it does not serve the purpose of my original question.
The Grump
Ableton can extract it then apply it to another clip almost instantly. For audio, what you can try is to use the Beats warp, then go down into Preserve, set it for 16ths, and set it to one shot forward then apply the extracted groove. You don't have to Commit, it will just apply while playing.
Moskowitz
This is what I want too - enough with that pesky skill and making decisions myself let alone learning how to make the music I like. It would be much easier if a plug in would do it for me. Please send me a message if you find one.
poppinger
If I understand what you're asking for, I've heard of people abusing plugins designed for Automatic Dialogue Replacement like VocAlign for this kind of thing. It gives you tools to help match up the timing and cadence of a recording to a guide track. Vocalign itself might be too pricey if groove matching is the only thing you're using it for - it's $150 for the most basic version. But it may be worth seeing what else is out there for ADR plugins and programs.

Moskowitz wrote:
This is what I want too - enough with that pesky skill and making decisions myself let alone learning how to make the music I like. It would be much easier if a plug in would do it for me. Please send me a message if you find one.

Go be shitty on Gearslutz instead of here.
alexander92
poppinger
The Grump
Thanks for the tips
alexander92
Moskowitz wrote:

Hey man, I never made a decision in all the years I make music, let alone tried learning the music I want to make so badly. Please send me a message if you can help me out.
alexander92
poppinger wrote:
If I understand what you're asking for, I've heard of people abusing plugins designed for Automatic Dialogue Replacement like VocAlign for this kind of thing. It gives you tools to help match up the timing and cadence of a recording to a guide track. Vocalign itself might be too pricey if groove matching is the only thing you're using it for - it's $150 for the most basic version. But it may be worth seeing what else is out there for ADR plugins and programs.

Moskowitz wrote:

Go be shitty on Gearslutz instead of here.

I tried the standalone Vocalign trial. Though it's close, it doesn't really focus on transient detection.
Upon futher research, I've found this article on soundonsound https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/aligning-kick-bass-parts
In the article they talk about alligning ┬┤drumhits┬┤ with the bass. This feature has been around since cubase 4.5 . So I think there must be some kind of plugin.

Hopefully I made myself more clear. Btw: I will use this strictly for audio.

Thanks for your post.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1