MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plague Bearer - Not getting it at all - Sample patch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Plague Bearer - Not getting it at all - Sample patch?
RichyHo
Hi

I've had a single PB for a couple of months now and have yet to get it to do anything other than add mild distortion to the input signal. I asked Flight for a demo patch that I could hook up to see if it's my module that's broken or whether I'm just using it wrong. He suggested asking here.

He also told me that the PB works best with attenuated signals so I tried that, but it didn't make much difference to my ears. I've heard some fabulous demos of the module on SoundCloud - you know, the ones where it's making bare-butt-on-hot-vinyl squeaks and all sorts of other goodnesss, but I can't get anywhere near this. I've tried sweeping the Hi and Low inputs manually and with CVs, low gain, high gain etc etc confused

Forumcat #2 Sample patch guys? Please?! I so want to love my PB!

Thanks

[edit] Forgot to add I have tried out the patches mentioned in the manual to do noise generation etc and these seem to work OK - it's just the extreme effects that everyone goes on about I'm having trouble getting down.
itijik
Its all about feedback, for me. Take an output and send it to a high resonance filter. Then back to one of the PB's inputs. Just play around with that for a while and I am sure you will find something.
Remember a lot of the more crazy demos have more than one PB in them! This is why I started to pair it with other filters.
I have only had this one a little while, but I could tell it was a winner when I started playing more with feedback. I plan to get a second one soon!
Soy Sos
I dunno, here are a bunch of pretty basic demos I did back when
I first got them. If you can't get sounds anything like this, maybe
there's something wrong with yours. Flight has always been great
about taking care of his customers.
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10016
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10017
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10018
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10019
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10020
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10021
http://share.ovi.com/media/SoySos.public/SoySos.10022
rezzn8r
RichyHo wrote:

I've had a single PB for a couple of months now and have yet to get it to do anything other than add mild distortion to the input signal. I asked Flight for a demo patch that I could hook up to see if it's my module that's broken or whether I'm just using it wrong. He suggested asking here.

I like to use mine to get crazy overdriven guitar like tones. Push the Input Level near max and keep the gain lowish. High and Low to taste.
SlayerBadger!

RichyHo wrote:
you know, the ones where it's making bare-butt-on-hot-vinyl squeaks and all sorts of other goodnesss

this is usually the result of CV'ing the shit out of the high and low. what are you using as a modulation source for the PlagueBearer?
theabsent
Try something like
High 9 o'clock
Low 9
Gain 3 o'clock
Input 3

Then wiggle a bit to find a sweet pot.

I use it a lot with basic osc->lpf->pb setting.
Spanningtree
^^^^ Thanks, just tried this. Works great.

The OSC->PB->LPF sounds really good too.
I also tried OSC->PB->PB->LPF.
You start to get some interesting harmonics (screaming) while adjusting the high/low on the PB and the freq. on the LPF (q set to about 3-4:00pm). The PB is a module I am always learning something about.
dude
if it makes you feel any better, you aren't the first person to not gel with the PB. and not for lack of trying.
flight
dude wrote:
if it makes you feel any better, you aren't the first person to not gel with the PB. and not for lack of trying.
I agree!
This is the drawback to most of my products - they require a lot of patience and experimentation. The only other choice was to include extra pots, switches and jacks (not to mention the extra supporting circuitry) on each one, which would push the price (and size) way beyond what I want to charge.
negativspace
I was having some trouble with my PB the other night, too. It was definitely changing the sound and the CV inputs were having an effect, but... it just wasn't right. Still, I liked the patch I came up with so I stuck with it for a couple of hours.

Turns out I hadn't plugged it in. I upgraded to a new case and forgot to hook up a couple of power cables before I fired it up. Figured it out when I noticed an LFO not powered and went to plug it in. d'oh!

So... turns out it also works as a passive unit. I take it that's not a ... deliberate feature?
RichyHo
Thanks for all the advice guys. I ended up making some progress by combining itijik's suggestions of feedback and theabsent's PB settings. Using my Doepfer A-143-3 Quad LFO into an A-138m matrix mixer allowed me to lay some sweet attenuated modulation mixes onto the PB's Hi and Lo inputs. I found many sweet spots seemingly only microns of wiggle wide. Need more experimentation, but it definitely seems to be working.

Thanks again
CreepTheProphet
Yeah that's the thing about Plague Bearers, you can get soooooo much out of them but it takes a little bit of work finding the sweet spots. Once you do though they can make some sweet noise.
vasculator
negativspace wrote:
I...Still, I liked the patch I came up with so I stuck with it for a couple of hours.

Turns out I hadn't plugged it in. I upgraded to a new case and forgot to hook up a couple of power cables before I fired it up. Figured it out when I noticed an LFO not powered and went to plug it in. d'oh!

So... turns out it also works as a passive unit. I take it that's not a ... deliberate feature?

one time lukas412 and I had good fun using a quad plague bearer for about an hour then realized the power wasn't on and it was just passively effecting the signal very subtly. love that module.
theabsent
PB doesn't work with all sounds. For example yesterday (again) I couldn't find sweet spots when I used wavefolders before it. Sometimes it delivers sometimes it doesn't.
flight
theabsent wrote:
PB doesn't work with all sounds. For example yesterday (again) I couldn't find sweet spots when I used wavefolders before it. Sometimes it delivers sometimes it doesn't.

Absolutely! If you want to be REALLY disappointed, try using a PB on a sine wave. cry
They work best on signals with a lot of harmonic content - and are low-level! Overdriven input + normal nastiness = boring squared-off output.
Most dramatic results with a square or ramp/saw, subtle effect with triangle, and fuck all with yon sine.

Passive functionality: Nope, not intended, but pretty damn cool! I still get faked out by it from time to time.
RichyHo
vasculator wrote:
negativspace wrote:
I...Still, I liked the patch I came up with so I stuck with it for a couple of hours.

one time lukas412 and I had good fun using a quad plague bearer for about an hour then realized the power wasn't on and it was just passively effecting the signal very subtly. love that module.

I think all modules should have at least one LED, even if just to show it's powered on and functioning. But then I also love LEDs!
Umcorps
CreepTheProphet wrote:
Yeah that's the thing about Plague Bearers, you can get soooooo much out of them but it takes a little bit of work finding the sweet spots. Once you do though they can make some sweet noise.

I reckon its a cunning marketing ploy to get you to get a Choices. Lets you zoom right into those sweet spots nanners
Soy Sos
I use the PB with sine and triangle waves all the time.
Low gain, hi gain always gets something interesting.
It's not the perfect module for everything, but what is?
Maybe mine is magical....
rezzn8r
Soy Sos wrote:

Maybe mine is magical....

Cthulhu They're all magical Flamey
DanielW
This short track may serve as an example.

First section: uLFO triangle --> Malekko Boogie filter --> Malekko Borg Filter --> A-132-3 VCA. uLFO and Borg modulated by Dark Energy LFO1.

Second section: Same as the first, but with Flight of Harmony Plague Bearer filter between Borg and VCA. Identical settings.

http://soundcloud.com/risingstar-1/pb-demo
terrafractyl
I love the way it sounds (almost every time), when patched after a borg filter. love
Kodama
#1 Hint: Turn gain all the way down and keep input at 70-90% until you get the hang of it.

It really shines in feedback loops with filters and wave folders. This is a diddy that I did with just a Polivoks, A137-1, and a PB in a feedback loop with some knob wiggles:

http://soundcloud.com/geneticdmg/bitsuck
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1