Fundraiser

Gear, Suggestions and Discussion.

Moderators: Kent, infradead, computer controlled, flight

flight
The Plague Bearer

Fundraiser

Post by flight » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Guess what - I need some dough! So, it's time for a little fund-raising action:

Two new modules are currently in production, the V'Amp and POWER.
The V'Amp you all know about already. POWER is a 10hp power supply for eurorack systems, has outputs of ±12VDC at 1A each, on/off switch, and indicator LEDs for each rail. The mounting depth is 40mm (1 9/16"). It uses a 12VAC wall adapter (included) to keep the transformer outside of the rack and avoid hum and magnetic coupling issues. Includes 13" Doepfer-style 18AWG wire harness with quick-connect connectors.

Yeah, the silkscreening didn't come out as well as I had intended. :despair:

I am now accepting direct pre-orders for both the V'Amp and POWER. Lead time of 2 weeks (I still need to write the manuals :oops: ), or just 1 week if you don't like reading ;)
V'Amp - $125.00 + S&H
POWER - $85.00 + S&H

I also have one new r3.3 Quad Plague Bearer desktop unit available, in-box and ready to ship - $350.00 + S&H
~flight
flight(at)flightofharmony(dot)com
http://www.flightofharmony.com

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm

:clap:

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi flight,

is the wall adapter for "power" also capable of 240 Volts?

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:07 pm

weinglas wrote:Hi flight,

is the wall adapter for "power" also capable of 240 Volts?
Sadly, no. There are too many different plug types for me to stock international adapters - and they are rather hard to come by in the USA. But I can:
  • Sell you just the module and let you supply the adapter (best approach, that way you save $5-$10 on shipping. Those adapters are heavy).
  • Try to find an adapter and ship it with the module (not recommended due to the aforementioned shipping, and it will add at least 1-2 weeks while I wait for it to arrive).
~flight

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:10 am

Could you please look, if you find one, I guess there are more Europeans interested in this module.

And could you please post or PM the measures of your 12VAC input jack and the other requirements for the wallwart (ampere?), so that i can start looking here.

Thanx a lot!

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:19 am

weinglas wrote:Could you please look, if you find one, I guess there are more Europeans interested in this module.
It is much more economical if those Europeans interested in the Fundraiser-scheme would buy a wall wart locally.

An AC wall wart is nothing special. You would only need to know the specs required: AC output voltage and how many ampere.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:52 am

e-grad is correct, as those adapters can weigh 0.5kg-0.75kg, but I am happy to see what I can find. Would you please post an image of your standard wall plug, and whatever name or ID it may have?

As for the specifications:
Adapter
Nominal Output Voltage: 12VAC
Rated Output Current: 1000mA or greater

Connector:
Type of plug: Barrel style
Inner Diameter: 2.1mm
Outer Diameter: 5.5mm
Length of barrel: 9.5mm

Two data sheets are attached, showing two variations of this type of plug. I prefer the one labeled KC-301154, as it is better constructed and easy to use.

And here are just the images from the datasheets:

KC-300473 (Mouser p/n: 1710-2110)
KC-301154 (Mouser p/n: 171-PA5521-E)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~flight

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:57 am

I had the exact same problem for my MiniPower module - very hard to get US supplies in Europe. I did find some I could order but then shipping would have doubled their cost and, of course, they'd only have been going straight back across the pond!

Here are two initial finds at Farnell (or CPC)

UK:
http://uk.farnell.com/stontronics/ac-12 ... dp/1279502

Euro:
http://uk.farnell.com/ansmann/8161024/a ... dp/1453783 (though it doesn't say for sure that it IS euro plug)

And two more at RS (both 1.25A but that is fine - anything over 1A will be fine --- by the way, can you really get 1A each side off a 12VAC 1A wallwart?!)

UK:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=0458923

Euro:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=0459887

Though doesn't say if they're 2.1mm plugs..

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 am

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 am

Thanks a lot to all of you. Then i will get a wallwart in Europe.

@flight: PM sent!

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:35 am

BugBrand wrote:by the way, can you really get 1A each side off a 12VAC 1A wallwart?!
Ack, sorry, you can't. I wasn't paying attention (thanks Tom!). :doh:

CLARIFICATION
The POWER module maximum output current per rail is 1000mA.
However: You should never run any electrical or electronic item at its maximum rated capacity! Those are worst-case ratings. For best performance and longevity, I'd recommend not exceeding 75% of any maximum values, and try to stick around 60%-65%.

Meaning: Treat this as a ±12V 1000mA total supply (500mA per rail), for which the proper adapter rating should be 1.25A minimum, and 2A recommended for longest adapter life. Also, a higher current rating (within reason, keep it under 3A) helps maintain cleaner PSU output under heavy loads.
<edit>
Of course, if you don't expect heavy loads, get a smaller adapter, e.g.: for a 200mA maximum load, get a 350mA-500mA adapter. Save some money and weight!
~flight

theabsent
?

Post by theabsent » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:01 am

weinglas wrote:I guess there are more Europeans interested in this module.
Am I missing something here because I don't see how this would be much preferred over the Doepfer kit in Europe?
My releases: https://laitoshuoltaja.bandcamp.com/releases
My sound art & live gigs: https://www.facebook.com/Laitoshuoltaja/
Modular live gigs (our band): www.konekonekone.com
Modular Patch of The Week Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTYqCy ... pvEmilJScg

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:30 am

theabsent wrote:
Am I missing something here because I don't see how this would be much preferred over the Doepfer kit in Europe?
More power than the doepfer DIY#2 (and only one wallwart) and external power supply compared with internal doepfer DIY#1 (think shallow boat!)

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:32 am

Ordered! :banana:

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:34 am

weinglas wrote:
theabsent wrote:
More power than the doepfer DIY#2 (and only one wallwart) and external power supply compared with internal doepfer DIY#1 (think shallow boat!)
And it has style. :zen:

(I had to say it...)
~flight

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:44 am

flight wrote:And it has style. :zen:
So true! :tu:

Will it be available with +/-15V regulators? Barebone? Frac? :zombie:

theabsent
?

Post by theabsent » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:00 am

weinglas wrote:
theabsent wrote:
Ok, it might be a bit more shallow than DIY#1. Not much though if you sacrifice some panel HPs for the Doepfer PSU (like you will with this power module) - you still have to make some room for the bus boards, don't you? And you still need to install the bus boards yourself, right? When you are at it it isn't that much extra work to install the Doepfer PSU.

If you compare it to DIY#2, I'd go for MFB DIY set instead.

Am I still missing something? Please keep in mind that I'm talking only European customers here. This is undoubtfully nice option for US based people.
My releases: https://laitoshuoltaja.bandcamp.com/releases
My sound art & live gigs: https://www.facebook.com/Laitoshuoltaja/
Modular live gigs (our band): www.konekonekone.com
Modular Patch of The Week Channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTYqCy ... pvEmilJScg

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by weinglas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

theabsent wrote: Ok, it might be a bit more shallow than DIY#1. Not much though if you sacrifice some panel HPs for the Doepfer PSU (like you will with this power module) - you still have to make some room for the bus boards, don't you? And you still need to install the bus boards yourself, right? When you are at it it isn't that much extra work to install the Doepfer PSU.

Am I still missing something? Please keep in mind that I'm talking only European customers here. This is undoubtfully nice option for US based people.
The PSU of the DIY#1 is huge compared with 10 HP. The DIY#2 is much cheaper, includes the rails and busboard. But Doepfer warns about using it for audio. So they have both their advantages and disadvantages. But the FoH has far more style!

DanielW
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DanielW » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 am

Might come in handy for something like this...

viewtopic.php?t=19183

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:34 am

RE: V'Amp

How interesting, I must have overlooked the thread for some reason. Will there be a bare-bones version?

Confession time: my bare-bones PeanutButter module is still waiting to be put together but I've run out of hp anyway...

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:53 am

Hey Flight, wondering if I might be able help the cause by ordering a Choices barebones, as I've decided that I'm gonna need another one of these. Are there any available?
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm

Here is a vid of the V'Amp from the PNW synth meet this past weekend. If it might help push sales =o]

[video][/video]
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ - Waldorf Microwave II . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . Microvolt 3900 . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

meristem
Common Wiggler

Re: Fundraiser

Post by meristem » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:23 pm

flight wrote:POWER is a 10hp power supply for eurorack systems, has outputs of ±12VDC at 1A each, on/off switch, and indicator LEDs for each rail. The mounting depth is 40mm (1 9/16"). It uses a 12VAC wall adapter (included) to keep the transformer outside of the rack and avoid hum and magnetic coupling issues. Includes 13" Doepfer-style 18AWG wire harness with quick-connect connectors.

[
I'm a bit of a newb.... :despair:
I'm confused about the Doepfer-style 18AWG wire harness with quick-connect connectors
Does the wire harness with quick connectors connect directly to modules or to a bus board?
Would a bus board be required in conjunction with POWER for a DIY rack?

CreepTheProphet
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Fundraiser

Post by CreepTheProphet » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:34 pm

meristem wrote:
flight wrote:POWER is a 10hp power supply for eurorack systems, has outputs of ±12VDC at 1A each, on/off switch, and indicator LEDs for each rail. The mounting depth is 40mm (1 9/16"). It uses a 12VAC wall adapter (included) to keep the transformer outside of the rack and avoid hum and magnetic coupling issues. Includes 13" Doepfer-style 18AWG wire harness with quick-connect connectors.

[
I'm a bit of a newb.... :despair:
I'm confused about the Doepfer-style 18AWG wire harness with quick-connect connectors
Does the wire harness with quick connectors connect directly to modules or to a bus board?
Would a bus board be required in conjunction with POWER for a DIY rack?

The quick connectors plug into the Doepfer-style bus board. The bus board is then used to power the modules. So yeppers the bus board is required.

You can use the pre-built Doepfer DIY boards or you if you're handy with soldering you can build your own.

Note: we had to settle for buying them because my soldering leaves much to be desired, which is why Flight builds the modules and I build the website.

flight
The Plague Bearer

Post by flight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:35 pm

e-grad wrote:
flight wrote:And it has style. :zen:
So true! :tu:

Will it be available with +/-15V regulators? Barebone? Frac? :zombie:
±15V: Yes, in the future. I haven't had a chance to source the higher-value filter capacitors yet.
Barebones: Absolutely. Always! All f(h) modules have a Barebones Pack option (just not necesssarily a web page therefore).
Frac: Possibly. Let me present a standing offer: If I can get 20 firm Frac orders, I will do a small run. Firm meaning 50% (or fully) prepaid in advance, remainder before shipping.
theabsent wrote:
weinglas wrote:
theabsent wrote:
Ok, it might be a bit more shallow than DIY#1. Not much though if you sacrifice some panel HPs for the Doepfer PSU (like you will with this power module) - you still have to make some room for the bus boards, don't you? And you still need to install the bus boards yourself, right? When you are at it it isn't that much extra work to install the Doepfer PSU.

Well, you get a power switch and rail monitor LEDs, but it comes down to which is more valuable to the user: hp or behind-the-panels space.
I designed POWER with portability in mind. It is not really intended for permanent installations, unless you want to have independant power supplies for each row (or every other, third, etc.). It's for those who want or need: a power switch in easy reach, to easily confirm the power rails are operational, or have fewer holes in the bottom of their box (for affixing an internal PSU).
Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:RE: V'Amp

How interesting, I must have overlooked the thread for some reason. Will there be a bare-bones version?

Confession time: my bare-bones PeanutButter module is still waiting to be put together but I've run out of hp anyway...
Yes again. I took that into consideration when designing the PCB layout. It can be built with all components on one side so it can be mounted against any surface (using spacers). If you look at the picture of the PCB, you will see two open header footprints at the top of the PCB. One is for the power switch, the other for the adapter plug, so those items can be mounted remotely - as can the LEDs, if desired, or just moved to the front of the PCB.

There are also features to allow tailoring the regulator outputs if necessary, due to the recurring subject of PSU oscillation. The output capacitors can be disconnected or augmented, allowing the owner to match the PSU response to what the system requires.
MrBiggs wrote:Hey Flight, wondering if I might be able help the cause by ordering a Choices barebones, as I've decided that I'm gonna need another one of these. Are there any available?
That would help, but I am out of joysticks. If you want the CHBP-j (no joystick version), I can do that. They're $65.00.
~flight

Return to “Flight of Harmony”