MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Should I become a COCO-LOCO head?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Should I become a COCO-LOCO head?
fields
I'm constantly hovering over the Cocoquantus buy button,
while at the same time watching Hainbach videos and getting excited about the noise and hiss this machine produces.

Just a month ago I got into modular synths and had some spare money to get me started with a fairly large system for a beginner.
I bought a lot of stuff very quickly, and while I put a lot of effort into choosing the modules I definitely need to take a break now and learn all the modules properly.

So I'm thinking:
should I spend the rest of my music money on the coco, or should I first finish my modular rig?
yes, the coco is probably the opposite of a sweet-spot machine, and its totally stupid to get yet another untameable beast.
But I have the feeling this is an instrument that stays with you, while modules will come and go.

I'm not really looking for the super weird pitch-modulation heavy sounds or vocal stuff that Peter Blasser would do,
but more of a layering-tool to create soundscapes - maybe even just background textures for danceable tracks.

Gear I would put into it: op-1, elektron grooveboxes, analog polysynth, eurorack, rhodes.

On the other hand: I have a clouds and morphagene, and intend to get an OD-ER301 once the pre-order opens, so there should be layering tools en-masse.

I don't know guys, maybe I'm just hoping you'll talk me out of this...
clarte
Finish your modular rig, take your foot off the GAS.
ClausF
fields wrote:
should I spend the rest of my music money on the coco, or should I first finish my modular rig?

Your modular is anyway never ready, so use the money for the coco and a banana-to-3,5mm box Guinness ftw!
Hainbach
I probably would have not gotten how to play the Coco without a few years of modular. Its an instrument that draws you in if you are prepared to spent some serious time with it and not get distracted.

But yes, it works as a texture instrument in dance music, very well.

Also, its wonderful to start with and then get ideas for a patch on the modular, or to play the piano to.
papercutnoise
ClausF wrote:
fields wrote:

Your modular is anyway never ready, so use the money for the coco and a banana-to-3,5mm box Guinness ftw!

This x 100. I quit buying eurorack and decided to focus on some synths and some CL stuff instead. Don't regret it one bit. I spend way less time scouring the BST threads and flipping modules. There's a lot to be said for the Cocoquantus as it really is more than the sum of its parts. Great to be able to use it entirely on its own or incorporate it into another setup. So much fun to use!
The Grump
Pretty much what everyone else has said. It's awesome, but if you think you're just going to get one and be able to really use it immediately, you are fooling yourself, no matter how well versed in synthesis you believe yourself to be. The Cocoquantus is a very unique, quirky, and often unpredictable little box of beauty and horror.

It will show you fleeting moments of beauty, and then drop you dead on your ass, wondering WTF just happened, then maybe put you back close to the awesome spot you were, but it's just a little different now, if you're lucky. You can't just plug it in and go. To get the really good stuff out of it takes time, and I mean each time you play it. And it's not the CQ that has to be broken in, it's you.

I know it probably sounds kinda cultish, and maybe it is, but the Cocoquantus really is a Transdimensional Portal Key, and misusing it, or neglecting it will bring you no joy, so if you get one, be prepared to spend A LOT of time learning how to get it to sing, and where the magic lays for you. They really are not for everyone, and hipsters tend to sell theirs. Good luck in your decision.
fields
Quote:
... take your foot off the GAS.

Actually that's exactly what I wanted to do - don't fill up the remaining space of the modular before I know exactly what it needs.
I've been buying modules without using them too much piece by piece. From most of them I know I won't sell them anytime soon, but there's some patching-magic and glue missing inbetween that still has to be figured out by giving it time.

Quote:
Its an instrument that draws you in if you are prepared to spent some serious time with it and not get distracted.

Quote:
I know it probably sounds kinda cultish, and maybe it is, but the Cocoquantus really is a Transdimensional Portal Key, and misusing it, or neglecting it will bring you no joy,

Cultish sounds perfect for me, but I think it would best for me to get to know the modular first.

There's already so much potential and trillions of different combinations of patchpoints, knobs and sounds to mangle.

I should master this realm first - creating drones out of a single oscillator - blend in tape splices from Tony's well known Musique Concrete Machine.

If I get the Coco, it will distract me too much from the modular.
So I guess the best decision would be: neither - give it both time, keep the money for now.

On the other hand, some hands-on layering machine to glue together the modular's sounds would be perfect.
I'm not expecting this super-chaotic sounds from the coco, so is it really that hard to use the coco more like a classical, lofi, effects machine ? Or is this especially hard?
The Grump
fields wrote:

On the other hand, some hands-on layering machine to glue together the modular's sounds would be perfect.
I'm not expecting this super-chaotic sounds from the coco, so is it really that hard to use the coco more like a classical, lofi, effects machine ? Or is this especially hard?

As a layering machine, it excels, and as far as expecting super chaotic, you bet your ass you should.

"...to use it as just a classical, lofi, effects machine" says you've already got a job in mind for it, and that's probably not the best approach to take. You'd do better to approach it like some strange instrument that you want to explore, and decide how to use it when you are using it.

So far, I've found that I get the best results just playing with it, recording as I go, then going back and listening to what I've done, grabbing the bits that I like, and putting them into compositions where they fit.
fields
Quote:
"...to use it as just a classical, lofi, effects machine" says you've already got a job in mind for it,

At least that's what I'm expecting it to be able to do. It would be nice if I could achive this "easily" in the beignning. So something like - loop 2 segments, pitch it down, simply modify the volume VCA-LFO kinda style - simple drone - done for now.

From there, it can get as experimental as it dictates me to and I will obey!
The Grump
MMmmmm yeah... it'll do that without much effort, but you'll probably find yourself coaxing it into doing other things pretty quickly, because as soon as you open that portal, it sucks you right in and you find yourself in some unexpected realm of weirdness. It's just that kind of creature.
fields
I've decided to not go with the CL for now.
I think I'm not ready for it yet.
But I will be ...
jadrowsky88
I'm in a quite similar situation as the op but not with the cocoquantus but with the plumbutter 2. I have a eurorack case which is of course ontologically unfinished and I'm contemplating the idea of getting a plumbutter 2 in order to stop my gas for years and find a true contemplative piece of gear which will deepen my self knowledge and bring my to new sonic territories. I know I'm sounding esoteric and cultic but I'm questioning myself in order to understand if plumbutter might be the piece of gear which will open new territories for my sound research. As the op I have morphagene and dual looping delay which of course can't completely cover cocoquantus sound mangling possibilities but still they can be seen as belonging to same realm, so I'm leaning toward plumbutter 2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1