MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RPN - how to send?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author RPN - how to send?
tIB
I'm awful at things like this - does anyone know of a simple way to send an RPN message in order to change the pitch bend on my windows device as outlined below - I'd like to set it to 2400/2 octaves but have absolutely no clue how to do such a thing- from software to interface!

Here's what the manual has:

RPN 00 (Pitch bend sensitivity) 0-2400 in +/- cents, eg 1200 = +/- 1 octave
sutekina bipu-on
yuuuuu send it like any other midi cc

http://www.2writers.com/eddie/TutNrpn.htm which i found on google in 2 minutes literally explains the use case youre asking about
tIB
Thanks, I had read that and couldn't figure why I'd need as many numbers in the message to send as per their example:

Quote:
For example, if you want to change the "pitch bend sensitivity" you would send the following control change messages:
101 0
100 0
6 2
38 0

Other than the 2 which is the value to be set to I can't figure why I need any of the other numbers,or what it is exactly that they relate to? I'm clearly missing something.
tIB
Maybe in my case (setting the pitch bend to 2400) I'd send:

101:0
100:0
6:2400
38:0
tIB
tIB wrote:
Maybe in my case (setting the pitch bend to 2400) I'd send:

6:2400

Someone can confirm?
tIB
I remain completely lost with this - I downloaded midi tools and they have a completely different (menu based) way of sending the rpn messages. Help?
tIB
Excuse the minor rant but fuck me this shouldnt be this hard- been at it all morning, downloaded three separate programs, done a load of reading of different sites, forums and tutorials and I still havent worked out how to send a single fucking rpn command to change one fucking value.
nangu
Should be:

6:24

The combination of controllers 101 and 100 are selecting which parameter to adjust, and the combination of 6 and 38 are adjusting it. Since 38 isn't being used in this case, you could probably get away with not sending 38.

Because controllers 101 and 100 are selecting the parameter, it's important to send those before sending 6. If you're inserting the messages into an event list or whatever, leave a tick or two of time in between the messages so that they're sure to be sent in the proper order.
tIB
If you could point me in the direction of a simple program to allow me to send that message it would be much appreciated.
nangu
Can you import this midi file into whatever you're using? It's set to Channel 1..

http://www.2writers.com/eddie/24stones.mid
tIB
Doesn't seem so!
nangu
What platform(s) are you on? Mac, Windows, iOS?
tIB
Im on windows, so far tried midiox, miditools and sendmidi, the last of which Im pretty sure will do it but wont open/install! Im having a mare!
nangu
The other two would have been quicker. I haven't done anything with MIDI on Windows in 15 years.

Gimme a few minutes- buffering...
tIB
Really appreciate the help! Guinness ftw!
nangu
There are a few things called Miditools or something very similar. Which do you have?
tIB
https://mountainutilities.eu/miditools
nangu
In MIDI-OX, go to View / MIDI Status. The third-to-last column is Bend Range. Click in the box for whatever MIDI channel you need, and a slider will appear. Slide it up to 24, and you should be set..

(Edited for 24)
tIB
I thank you! Testing shortly...
nangu
I was wrong- you only want to bring the slider up to 24, not "all the way to the right". Post edited..

That still creates a huge flood of controller messages when all you really want are the last 4. MIDI Tools seems to be a more graceful way of doing this..

In MIDI Tools, go to View / (N)RPN messages and set it up like this:

Then just hit the Send button at the lower right corner.
tIB
No joy Im afraid - tried both ways and dont seem to be communicating at all. Ill keep playing with interface settings...
nangu
Weird- I looked at the messages that were being generated using my iPad, and everything seemed ok.

What is your target device? Perhaps it has a setting to ignore controller messages? Or it just has a broken MIDI implementation?
tIB
The good news is I got there in the end (not sure how but tested it was getting the messages with CC's sent to the envelopes in midiox.

The bad news is that it needs this message upon startup each time - I was under the impression that global RPN's were supposed to be stored settings? Anyway, I officially give up!

thank you for the help nangu - I appreciate it very much regardless of outcome! Guinness ftw!
nangu
Yeah, it needs the message every time.

You'd want to record it into your sequencer so that it plays back at the very beginning. Maybe even create a template sequence if it's something you'll always want to be set that way.
tIB
The problem being im not using a computer or sequencer in this case- was trying to set up the chimera bc16 to be controlled monophonically by my linnstrument over midi for live play usage - pretty sure I can't send out an RPN message from the Linnstrument but will check... Essentially though I think I just have the wrong tool for the job and that I'd be better set getting an mpe proper synth (like the nf1).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2