MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Weird dirty phasers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Weird dirty phasers
JosefK
I've never owned a phaser and was hoping someone could recommend an interesting phaser? I mainly wanna run drum percussion, some bass frequency range stuff, and vocals samples through it. Ability to color or distort is nice. Also syncable lfo with multiple stages. Shittier the better.

Can be any format, pedal/stompbox/rackmount whatever.

Thanks!
Jumbuktu
Check out the Hauble options. There is the Krautrock phaser and the Tau Pipe phaser and maybe more.
JosefK
Jumbuktu wrote:
Check out the Hauble options. There is the Krautrock phaser and the Tau Pipe phaser and maybe more.

thank you I will check these out...looks like eurorack options as well so even better.
notmiserlouagain
The Doepfer Phaser is pretty experimental, if you´re looking for that
xparis001
if you're in to vintage, the Roland Jet Phaser is pretty awesome.

Roland Jet Phaser
bkbirge
JosefK wrote:
Shittier the better.

What's your budget? For true craptastic shittiness you have to blindly throw away a minimum of $2000 USD. Otherwise the quality will be too good.
misa
I built the phaser from Musikding.de and it's a clone of an MXR phaser. I like it, but it's not the swooshiest of all phasers:

https://www.musikding.de/The-Phaser-Phaser-kit

but it's very budget and simple to build.

then a friend recommended the Moog phaser MF103 and I got that for some deep phase sounds to put after my dub delays. that really opened up a new world.

the Doepfer phaser is a very strong and nice sounding phaser too.

The Boss SX-700 (an old rack unit) has some very nice 3D simulated phaser and modulation effects, and can be had for 50 EUR on ebay.

then there is the trusty old Alesis Quadraverb which really has some great modulation and reverb sounds and is also often incredibly cheap.

often it makes sense to look for things that aren't so hip but still sound great...wink
J3RK
Who are you calling a dir... oh...

It's not crappy, but the best phaser I've ever used is the Jurgen Haible Tau Pipe Phaser. A lot of range in that one. It also sounds really cool with percussive sounds.

You could get one built with unmatched transistors. That might get you into the crappy territory. hihi
A Terre
I recently got a DOD stereo phaser for around $20 that's really nasty.
Blairio
A couple of year back I picked up an Akai 'pro series' quad mode phase pedal for 29 GBP new. It is far better than it has any right to be for the price, and has settings for 90. 180, 270 and 360 degree phasing - so it it does a reasonable representation of small stone and other phasers. like the MXR one. It also looks pretty cool in a shiny chrome casing!

I use it for line level keyboards, but it is also ok for modular sources as long as you wipe some gain off them first.

One downside - it may no longer be available.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/akai-professional-an alog-custom-shop-quad-mode-phase-shifter-guitar-effects-pedal
sloth713
The 4ms Phaseur Moire gets pretty weird in fun ways, I think they are discontinued though
Wray
I had the original Schulte Compact Phasing A Phaser. It never did much for me, but it may well be because I don't like excessive phasing. It certainly had some space to go wild. I see the clone Krautrockphaser has even more options.
Anyway, I found the Schulte highly overrated. Believe they go for 1K while I got mine for 100 euro; it needed some caps changed. Did this, but sold it right after. When I want to use a good simple phaser I go for the Electro Harmonix Small Stone. Simple but classy.
JosefK
coming back to this thread. So I ended up buying a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. Looks great and the reviews are good but I cannot for the life of me get this to respond well to any source material like synths or drum machines. This is my first Red Witch pedal. Was I an idiot in thinking this would be interesting on drum machines and synth. I basically just get a dull noise and the knobs do little effect anything. I even tried it on a Juno 60 and it sounds like piss. Am I wrong in thinking this pedal would work on something other than guitars. I think I just bought an expensive paper weight.
dkcg
JosefK wrote:
coming back to this thread. So I ended up buying a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser. Looks great and the reviews are good but I cannot for the life of me get this to respond well to any source material like synths or drum machines. This is my first Red Witch pedal. Was I an idiot in thinking this would be interesting on drum machines and synth. I basically just get a dull noise and the knobs do little effect anything. I even tried it on a Juno 60 and it sounds like piss. Am I wrong in thinking this pedal would work on something other than guitars. I think I just bought an expensive paper weight.

Sounds pretty shitty to me...

Sure it's not a level mismatch? The Redwitch may be expecting an instrument level input.
bkbirge
It should work fine with other sources. Yours sounds broken.
chvad
bkbirge wrote:
It should work fine with other sources. Yours sounds broken.

Maybe? The manual makes it sound like even hot pickups could overload the ins:

"Those of you with high output pickups may want to slide the little black switch on the circuit board, by the little round black thing, to the opposite position. This will pad your input slightly and avoid any overloading."

Could be part of the issue anyway.
lud
J3RK wrote:
Who are you calling a dir... oh...

It's not crappy, but the best phaser I've ever used is the Jurgen Haible Tau Pipe Phaser. A lot of range in that one. It also sounds really cool with percussive sounds.

You could get one built with unmatched transistors. That might get you into the crappy territory. hihi

Feed it back into itself and it's nuts!
popvulture
I have a script Phase 100 that's got some super lovely dirt to it. Isn't exactly shitty though... seriously, i just don't get it
RedLab
JosefK wrote:

I'm sure the Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser is a very nice pedal.
Problem is, a lot of effect pedals expect a high-impendance signal (like guitars) at their input, not synths or drum machines (low-impendance) which will make the sound low/noisy/hissy.

To address this problem you can: (beside the option of using only pedals that support line-level signals) Use a device to properly match impedances of the sent signal to the effect. A DI box most likely won't do you no good here but a re-amping device, however, will
Inconsequential_circuits
Love the Red Witch DLMP for guitar, but I’ve also got a great Old Maestro PS-1a (“Who’s That Lady?”) and a coupla univibe clones...
Hi5
Phaser, delay and flanger

http://www.avpsynth.com/products/cosmwave%20fx/
Cybananna
The moog moogerfooger phaser is the best one I’ve tried. I love it.

I also love the Boss SX-700 rack. I use it for reverb not phasers though. I’ll have to mess around with that tonight!
Repeater

Good enough for David Tudor thumbs up
Michael O.
popvulture wrote:
I have a script Phase 100 that's got some super lovely dirt to it. Isn't exactly shitty though... seriously, i just don't get it

My favorite phaser in pedal format- so versatile and can be subtle if you need it to be. The newer ones I’ve tried are too obvious/deep/jet plane-sounding.

As for rackmount, nothing beats the Eventide Instant Phaser- just way more useful and more often usable than other dedicated phasing units I’ve used.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1