MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Synths Graphic VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Erica Synths Graphic VCO
Girts23

Dear colleagues, it took us two years before we were actually READY to develop the Graphic VCO, which was first announced on 2014! The result exceeded my expectations.
The Graphic VCO allows you to draw your own waveforms, arrange them in wavetables and wavetable banks, morph between selected waves and wavetable banks and alter the resulting wave in advanced ways (FXes) – apply FM, phase distortion, ring modulation, wavefold/wavewrap, bitcrush. Waves, wavetables, FXes and other settings can be saved and recalled from the memory instantly. The module has two outputs – the main output and the output with configurable suboscillator.
FEATURES:
Versatile waveform design
Morphing between selected waves
Wavetable design
Wavetable matrix design
Versatile waveform alteration – FM, phase distortion, ring modulation, waveshaping, bitcrush, overdrive
Configurable suboscillator output
Snapshot (all settings) memory
Octave range C0 – C8
Sample rate 96kHz
Wave resolution 1024 points
Skiff-friendly design
Firmware update via USB

Price 330EUR (ex VAT), available at Erica Synths and best retailers worldwide.

Here's the fist demo that give a glimpse of what the module is capable of:

It's up to you to judge the module, comment on features and give the ideas for future updates, as we continue development. So, please, do so here!
And see the current user manual attached.
And my personal gratitude to all Erica Synths team and everyone, who contributed and will contribute to the development of the module!

Girts, Erica Synths
blinosynth
wow this is beautiful MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Carmelo_P82
Beautiful !!!!
Dusty Patches
This looks sick! The visual feedback is very nice.
Carmelo_P82
As I'll get another VCO I can't wait to see more review about it. applause
bommelito
I'm deeply impressed !!
koshi
I'm jamming with Graphic VCO for a while its fantastic Love the matrix mode, having sub oscillator and quantizer on board is amazing. Interpolation of waveforms is super smooth and you can soon upload your own. Here is short video of it in action with drone flight over Blue Pools at Haast Pass in New Zealand nanners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCIo9sP9vog
BillLynes
I would love to see this module available as a DIY kit.
savethisrocketship
Are there just not enough of these out in the wild yet or am I alone in loving this thing? I feel like I'm barely scratching the surface & its already a huge game changer for me. Some of the menus take some getting used to and I haven't had a chance to draw my own waves yet, but the Matrix Mode is twisted

Has anyone found a way to store the I/O settings globally? So far it seems that they only save with the Snapshots, which is kind of a drag. seriously, i just don't get it
Artaos
Come on, you can't say something like that and not post an audio demo!
NeolithicElectrophones
Finally- An etch-a-sketch thats useful as an adult.Amazing work. Love everything you guys do.
janis
savethisrocketship wrote:
Has anyone found a way to store the I/O settings globally? So far it seems that they only save with the Snapshots, which is kind of a drag. seriously, i just don't get it

Hi,

Which FW version are you running on your Graphic VCO? All the settings that are found under "Settings" menu are saved globally. Earlier versions of FW did not save settings at all.
savethisrocketship
janis wrote:
savethisrocketship wrote:

Hi,

Which FW version are you running on your Graphic VCO? All the settings that are found under "Settings" menu are saved globally. Earlier versions of FW did not save settings at all.

Thanks, I'll have to double check this but I thought I had the latest because the quatize/scale feature is there, but I'll be more diligent.

I don't really have time to record much but here's some stuff from my IG:

https://instagram.com/p/BhC3nsjHRib/
There's a lot going on in this one, but the throaty drone is the GVCO with some filtering from the Korgasmatron and reverb from Pico DSP. But there's chords from Volca FM, modular bass, Plonk, ARytm, & it all runs through Analog Heat AND just captured from iPhone mic, so don't get yr hopes up. The two below are also just iPhone captures of some early jamming when I first got it.

https://instagram.com/p/Bg2XzLTnyZt/

https://instagram.com/p/BgrcAqZH4ai/

Definitely still learning my way around it, but I've been satisfied with the purchase so far thumbs up
Tonefloat01
Okay, I’m sold....

Where can I buy this module today?!?!

btw - love the Etch-a-sketch reference!
LPHovercraft
Damn.

This is much, much more impressive than I thought it would be. The way you can select ranges of your waveform to modify when designing a snapshot is really quite brilliant, and the ability to select the FX you want to apply seems really powerful.

I also like the implementation of the matrix mode and the way you can graphically modify the range of the incoming CV.

I'd love to see an expander that allows you to have CV control over some of the meta controls like snapshot selection. Even better, would it be possible to morph between snapshots in the same way you can morph between A and B waveforms within a snapshot? That would be nuts.
Tonefloat01
Agreed, after that posted demo I’m very much interested in purchasing this module. At NAMM I dismissed this module which I must admit, but damn after hearing this new demo I’m completely sold. I already have an Octosource and a Black Wavetable VCO and a Black Hole DSP so this will match the rack quite nicely. Anyone interested in a Shapeshifter?
erik5
Tried this out at the local modular shop. Sounds brilliant.
mikmanner
well I got this module and I don't understand why the morph knob doesn't morph between the waves. It just snaps between them, in A/B mode and in Matrix, when I move morph or x and y I get a hard jump between the waves instead of the glassy lovely blending sound I've heard in demos. Am I missing something super basic here?
suthnear
@milkmanner: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2839954#2839954
mikmanner
suthnear wrote:
@milkmanner: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2839954#2839954

ooohhhhhh. Wish it said that in the manual lol Thank you smile
kitzmann
So I'm coveting a wavetable and am torn between the Piston Honda MKIII and the Graphic VCO. I like the look of the Erica and the ability to visually fiddle with the waveforms seems like an innovative approach. But the Honda has a lot to offer too. Anyone have experience with both and care to offer an opinion?

thanks!
nectarios
Replaced the Shapeshifter with it. First thing I noticed is with how much ease and depth it does the glassy morphing that I never got from the Shapeshifter.

I also got a lot of BIA metallic sounds, so its good as I sold the BIA recently as well.
I really like this osc, the shop gave me a discount too and its kinda changing my mind about menus as well because this reminds me a lot of being a kid and playing with a Gameboy...weird I hear you say and it is, but I am hooked programming waveforms with the spectral mode, adding harmonics and just saving it very quickly for recall.

Perfect live osc, as it says the note its tuned to, can save amount of sub osc mixed in and the bass shakes my room, but its not just flabby sub, it has the second harmonic and cuts through on smaller speakers too.

Found a brand new Planar 1 (last one at the shop) for a killer price and the combo is just fantastic.
Knocked it out of the park they did and thanks to DivKid for the (seller) demo. Awesome!
suthnear
It's definitely my favourite digital oscillator, although I sold an e352 and Erica's black wavetable module and kept the Shapeshifter.

There are a few bugs, though. See here: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2897168#2897168
Hopefully they will be fixed in the version that allows wavetables to be uploaded via the promised web tool.

P.s. it's annoying that there are two threads. Anyone know if they can be merged?
reekster
I saw this at NAMM in January and quickly preordered it. Very digital sounding but amazingly flexible. Still working on pairing it with the right modulation sources
Tonefloat01
The Graphic VCO totally rocks and I’m always changing between A/B mode and Wavetable mode searching for the most optimal wave shape combinations. Definitely a desert island oscillator for me! applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2