MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NLC Triple Sloth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author NLC Triple Sloth
Daisuk
I got this module a few weeks back and have been completely blown away by it. Did not expect to use it as much as I do, but I absolutely love it. I wanted to go on Muffs to simply leave a short "wow" to tell everyone how awesome this module is, and to my amazement ... there is no Triple Sloth thread on here! Jesus cried! The talk about it is kind of mixed in between other things here and there.

Anyways, it's the ultimate chaos/random CV module, in my opinion. Lots of outputs, three different speeds of random (quite slow - the right column of outputs, slower - the left column of outputs, extremely slow - the middle column of outputs). It has spiced up my patches no end. I usually end up making really repetitious stuff, so patching the triple Sloth to various things in my patches have really livened things up.

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.no/2017/01/8hp-triple-sloth.html

It's a DIY module, but there are a few guys on Facebook who takes commissions to build it (I got mine built by a very friendly gentleman for next to nothing). Come to think of it, you might be able to get a built one from Non Linear Circuits directly as well.

Anyway, it's a fantastic random/chaos module, and it deserves a bit of attention! Mr. Green
Flexyflier
Love mine....just leave it to get on with its own thing cool
x2mirko
I built one of these recently and absolutely love it. I like that it is overall rather slow and smooth in modulation, so you can just add a bit of "slight change" to everything in your patch with it. With most random/chaos modules I've had so far, the changes tend to be rather extreme and too noticeable unless you actively work against that with heavy slewing and attenuation, but this module you can just straight up patch into anything and it'll make everything just a bit more lively. Wonderful module!
pieter
I agree, I have the single sloth, and I use it in almost every patch. It doesn't take center stage, it's the secret sauce that brings a patch to the next level. I'll probably get the triple sloth because I feel the need for more and slower sloth action!
Daisuk
x2mirko wrote:
I built one of these recently and absolutely love it. I like that it is overall rather slow and smooth in modulation, so you can just add a bit of "slight change" to everything in your patch with it. With most random/chaos modules I've had so far, the changes tend to be rather extreme and too noticeable unless you actively work against that with heavy slewing and attenuation, but this module you can just straight up patch into anything and it'll make everything just a bit more lively. Wonderful module!

Exactly! That's what I really like about it as well. I know it's a word a lot of people hate, but this thing is bloody ORGANIC. lol Mr. Green
williamjturkel
I love mine, too. Now I’m holding out for a module with exactly the same interface that spits out slow, chaotic gates on three different time scales w00t
andrewF
Daisuk wrote:
I wanted to go on Muffs to simply leave a short "wow" to tell everyone how awesome this module is, and to my amazement ... there is no Triple Sloth thread on here! Jesus cried! The talk about it is kind of mixed in between other things here and there.

Daisuk wrote:

It's a DIY module, but there are a few guys on Facebook who takes commissions to build it (I got mine built by a very friendly gentleman for next to nothing). Come to think of it, you might be able to get a built one from Non Linear Circuits directly as well.

Glad you like it & thanks for starting the thread. love

I should make new module announcements in the Eurorack forum as well as the DIY forum as all my designs are available as assembled modules from me.
pieter
Hi Andrew,

I've been trying to get the triple sloth pcb from Thonk, but they're out of stock. Any indication when they will be available again?

Thanks,
Pieter.

Edit: I see you sell then directly from your site...
Koryo
Been waiting on a Triple Sloth PCB from Modular Addict for a really long time now.
Maneville
+1 for the Triple Sloths.

Just got mine through a trade, wow is it a glorious source of modulation.

I love it so much I will have to hide it from myself or it will be showing up in almost everything I do, and as I love self-generating patches, this is the module I should have begun with.

Now I do have it, I need to see how much crazy I can get feeding it into everything to see where it fits best.

There goes another week.
a100user
Yep, very cool module indeed
igowen
I just built one of these and i absolutely love it! but i haven't been able to figure out how the leds are related to the various outputs -- what do the colors represent?
rew_
I have been eyeing this module for a long time and understand the general concept but not the specific nature of the X/Y/Z outs

(lots of NLC modules seem cool. more threads!)
monads
Daisuk wrote:
I got this module a few weeks back and have been completely blown away by it.

Yes, it's really perfect for what it does. This is the newest 8hp version, there was a 12hp version previously and Andrew made some minor refinements to the 8hp version. Also checkout the panels by "Magpie NLC Triple Sloth"
andrewF
pieter wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I've been trying to get the triple sloth pcb from Thonk, but they're out of stock. Any indication when they will be available again?

Thanks,
Pieter.

Edit: I see you sell then directly from your site...

Koryo wrote:
Been waiting on a Triple Sloth PCB from Modular Addict for a really long time now.

I'm quite happy if people buy from Modular Addict, Thonk & Synthcube, especially as they are one stop shops for many different brands. Many people buy directly from me, I send PCBs as a regular airmail letter for USD5, doesn't matter how big the order is, the price stays at USD5.
Assembled modules ship with tracking & signed delivery for USD20, again, it doesn't matter how big the order is.

igowen wrote:
I just built one of these and i absolutely love it! but i haven't been able to figure out how the leds are related to the various outputs -- what do the colors represent?

The colours change when the signal crosses zero, so one colour when the signal is positive and the other when it is negative. Usually a zero crossing is a climax point and your patch is about to change w00t

rew_ wrote:
I have been eyeing this module for a long time and understand the general concept but not the specific nature of the X/Y/Z outs

(lots of NLC modules seem cool. more threads!)

Usually chaotic circuits can be described with 3 differential equations, where x,y & z are used to describe the system state....bit like position on a 3D plot.
In terms of the module, the x,y & z outputs are taken from different stages of the circuit, so are all different.
Although for the Apathy and Torpor sloths, z is inverted y, for Inertia sloth, z is inverted y with 1.5x gain.

It gets a lot more complex with Hyperchaos circuits, which are 4D, so you get w as well, check out the NLC Hyperchaos Deluxe
negativspace
Koryo wrote:

I got mine last week for a customer build, might be worth emailing John. (Also got one of the Magpie panels for it, which is lovely.)
franman69
I started with a single DIY sloth and quickly moved onto the heavier stuff. The Triple and my Existing Single are currently holding me over on a patch to patch basis. I fear this whole thing may still be escalating.. (and Andrew is a heck of a nice guy to boot).
Kaki_Yuga
I have so much love for triple sloth and Primal Hyperchaos!!
Blairio
I have had my Torpor for a while now - sourced directly from Andrew. It arrived in the UK faster than modules ordered from the USA, and there wasn't the usual import duty faff.

I use Torpor a lot on my Braids, modulating the various wavetable algorithms in 2 dimensions - Timbre and Color. The Torpor outputs can benefit from a little attenuation, so I have a (cheap as chips) Doepfer dual passive attenuator racked next to it.
HighLordFixer
can someone post link for triple sloth demo
this may coincide with another one of my projects
Eye want hearing what it does exactly
andrewF
This one from Matrix Modulator is good. He is using the early 12HP version triple sloth, but it is much the same thing.

racooniac
this thing together with the plague bearer are the only two modules that i have no fucking clue how they work BUT I WANT THEM wink
HighLordFixer
Thanks for Demo
hmmm... alrighty then... definitely need that
making triple sloth vero version
suspect eye got close for that with my "Voice of Satan" proto module
there will make some major mods
with switchable capacitor banks
that is now prioritized on my project lists
plus maybe even pick up some clouds
beliefsystemrecords
just ordered triple sloths. cant wait!
HighLordFixer
They sound awesome... ended up getting something like that function in some prototype made years ago.... experimenting with large capacitor sizes when designing multiwave waveshaping LFO... thinking that has 5 speed Banks of caps... with the longest being more than 10 minutes.... (never clocked it with my stop watch)plus has cv in for modulation of waveforms... extremely mutated experiment... from "the Voice of Saturn"... just saw my schematics the other day in note book floating around here... Eye need revisiting that design for comparing with super sloth... you get how it is... just kept adding components when breadboarding until made me smile.... have 3 cv outs... from various points
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4