MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

New Peley Krane FaithState 12-Voice Modular Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Peley Krane FaithState 12-Voice Modular Synthesizer
Sir Ruff
This thing appears to have come out of the blue--looks totally bonkers but also highly musical.

http://peleykrane.com/index.html#fullview
Dave Peck
It does look like fun, but I gotta say that's some pretty creative use of the term "twelve voice". It apparently has 12 oscs that are either tuned in unison or detuned from each other via CV. And they all go through one filter.
Sir Ruff
Dave Peck wrote:
It does look like fun, but I gotta say that's some pretty creative use of the term "twelve voice". It apparently has 12 oscs that are either tuned in unison or detuned from each other via CV. And they all go through one filter.

yeah, not exactly accurate description. The fixed filter position isn't ideal, but it looks useful just the same. I'm willing to give it a whirl.
syncretism
I don't know if I can get past the graphics, which are busy and distracting in that post-Make Noise aesthetic that plagues contemporary Eurorack panel design. IMO, obvs.

There are definitely some fun moments in the demo, though.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=262&v=uA6-f0MJdyI
snakejaw
I actually like the blinken lights. Reminds of the Wogglebug. But it would be nice if you could turn them off.
Synthmatic
"Grey Voltage Input = Accepts a "Grey" Voltage (Varying Voltage Level Between 0v And 3v)"

"Grey Voltage Output = Outputs a "Grey" Voltage (Varying Voltage Level Between 0v And 3v)"

"This Unique Approach to Synthesis Voicing Combines the Classic "Oscillator Section", "VCA", and "Audio Mixer" Sections Into a Single Digital Voice Unit.

"The (16-Bit) 44.1khz Audio From FaithState is Pre-Amplified to Line Level and Output to an 1/8th Inch "HeadPhone" Style Jack, Located on the Right Side of the Wooden Enclosure."

Judging from these specs and the price, this is digital.
Blairio
I am really intrigued by this, but damn near put off by what has to be one of the most infuriating websites to navigate I have come across in a long, long time. The aesthetics are great, but I just got weary of scrolling, scrolling, long before I had dug down into the detail of what this thing does. I'll try again in the morning.

When Lexus were designing cars, one of the first things they focussed on was the ignition key - because that is your first point of contact - your first interaction with the machine. These days a product website is most folks' first point of contact with a new product, which is why it has to look good and work well.
Sir Ruff
Blairio wrote:
I am really intrigued by this, but damn near put off by what has to be one of the most infuriating websites to navigate I have come across in a long, long time. The aesthetics are great, but I just got weary of scrolling, scrolling, long before I had dug down into the detail of what this thing does. I'll try again in the morning.

You can just click on the picture of the part of the system you want to see in detail thumbs up
Robscorch
Sir Ruff wrote:
Blairio wrote:

You can just click on the picture of the part of the system you want to see in detail thumbs up

Still this WEBSITE is annoying as hell. I navigated it for literally 20 seconds and wanted to said to hell with it but didn't. This is a case where the designer has no one else doing any input. This also tells me that this is a small operation most likely which means there will be those issues later as well most likely so honestly I would wait and see if this turns into vaporware. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but we've seen this sorta thing so so many times and it's only happening more and more.

AND Dave is 100% correct when did it become correct to call something 12 voice just because it has 12 oscillators? hmmm..... Then I find this statement...

"This Unique Approach to Synthesis Voicing Combines the Classic "Oscillator Section", "VCA", and "Audio Mixer" Sections Into a Single Digital Voice Unit."

So right there they just told you they are full of shit and secondly this is hardly unique we have quite a few modules that do very similar things. So this is nothing that new just a different face to the same things. Nothing that ground breaking going on with this one. AND then there is the limited interfacing with only 3V making it a hassle to use with other things.

Sorry FaithState totally NOT sold on this one.
JustGlyphs
agree this website is a chore to do anything on

it's gorgeous but the layout's garbage
Panason
Awful, awful design, reflected in the website as well. No labels on the front panel...

This one is for those who really like to experiment .... with their money.
modularblack
Panason wrote:
Awful, awful design, reflected in the website as well. No labels on the front panel...

This is something I agree very much. Frontpanel artwork has to show whats going on.
Kent
Looks like Folktek, MakeNoise & EoWave had a baby.
sutekina bipu-on
Who the fuck scrolled through this layout and said "yeah this is good and makes anything clear"?
Rex Coil 7
All of that panel space and they elect to give us pot-shafts for knobs?

Really?

Essentially, two MATHS will do what I heard in the video. But 2 MATHS will also provide more stuff and Euro rack compatibility (I'm not totally sure, but this new gadget looks as though it is not Euro capable).

Or whatever .... it appears to be VERY under developed so far. And has one of those oh-so-hip glass screens. Pass.
cptnal
<$500 is pretty cheap since it seems to be pitched at those who would part with for the blinkenlights.

But for this humble wiggler, meh
Sir Ruff
cptnal wrote:
<$500 is pretty cheap

Right, so it's really hard to complain at that price point--you're talking the price of a couple cheap euro modules, or one pricey one. Not really a fair comparison given this thing is self-contained. I agree that the pot shaft thing is not great though. Might ask them about it.

I'm also not sure I understand the complaints about the labeling or lack thereof--there's plenty of boutique stuff out there with zero labels.
Rex Coil 7
Sir Ruff wrote:
I'm also not sure I understand the complaints about the labeling or lack thereof--there's plenty of boutique stuff out there with zero labels.
Yea, and they suck too.

Popular rarely means good, popular only means popular. Lemmings will follow one another straight off the cliff, blindly following the one in front of it. Same with sheep. There are reasons we're (supposed to be) taught why it's bad to "be a sheep/lemming", sometimes it suits one to recall those lessons.

At $500, one could easily purchase a Korg Monologue AND an Arturia Microbrute ... or any other pair of highly capable machines that would complement one another very well.

You and I are just going to have to disagree on this one.
Sir Ruff
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Yea, and they suck too.

Popular rarely means good, popular only means popular. Lemmings will follow one another straight off the cliff, blindly following the one in front of it. Same with sheep. There are reasons we're (supposed to be) taught why it's bad to "be a sheep/lemming", sometimes it suits one to recall those lessons.

At $500, one could easily purchase a Korg Monologue AND an Arturia Microbrute ... or any other pair of highly capable machines that would complement one another very well.

You and I are just going to have to disagree on this one.

This is is totally contradictory--you're suggesting that this fairly unique and unusual boutique synthesizer is following some sort of trend and that one's money would be better spent buying two extremely vanilla synths made by large corporations (which would cost $600 together by the way).

So yeah, agree to disagree.
Robscorch
Sir Ruff wrote:

This is is totally contradictory

Right the part about sheeps and cliffs is totally incorrect. Here is a video of bighorn sheep running up and down cliffs they simply don't just go off of them contrary to most belief. Even just your regular barn variety sheep tend to have better balance than 90% of the animal kingdom.

AND then the big red flag Lemmings DO NOT commit suicide...

dogoftears
you folks are harsh.
i think it looks unique and cool. oscillator section seems very very interesting. price is beyond admirable.
sound examples were kind of whack. mini shafts also kind of whack. but personally i'm very curious to see/hear more of this strange synth in action.
Blairio
dogoftears wrote:
you folks are harsh.
i think it looks unique and cool. oscillator section seems very very interesting. price is beyond admirable.
sound examples were kind of whack. mini shafts also kind of whack. but personally i'm very curious to see/hear more of this strange synth in action.

I really like the sound and the aesthetic. The pot shaft thing is unfortunate but not insuperable. I picked up some neat knobs for the pot shafts of my Moog Werkstatt (also lacking on the knob front!), and it transformed its usability.

However, the website still does my head in, and it doesn't need to be like that.
dogoftears
agree, mini shafts easy to alter, website is kinda whack, but i think we can give the guy(s) or gal(s) a break... we don't need to completely disregard a synth and talk major shit just because we don't like scrolling through their website. seems a bit extreme to me.

i like how the synth is designed to be patch multitimbrally right from the oscillator section. i like that there are a bunch of wavetables and the bank is chosen randomly. i'm curious if the whole thing is digital. i'm curious also, if it's all digital, are the jack connections actual audio connections or more like that weird patchable digital synth that mungo made a long time ago? also the abundance of sequencing blocks is really cool.

personally i haven't used it or stared at the panel long enough so i can't determine if the graphics are logically laid out or not, but i'm definitely not offended by the lack of labels... i find make noise modules pretty easy to grok, and i've used plenty of no-label paperface serges in the past. no problems there, and the thing looks bonkers in the video.

and no where is it advertised as being eurorack compatible or in any way related to eurorack. it strikes me as its own stand alone, not necessarily meant to be interfaced with other things.

YMMV but if i were the manufacturer i'd be completely afraid to post here and answer questions after reading all the haterade.

Blairio wrote:

I really like the sound and the aesthetic. The pot shaft thing is unfortunate but not insuperable. I picked up some neat knobs for the pot shafts of my Moog Werkstatt (also lacking on the knob front!), and it transformed its usability.

However, the website still does my head in, and it doesn't need to be like that.
dkcg
Cool MFA thesis!

As a product...how about at least arrows to show what holes are in or out.
Maybe even a cryptic symbol that's almost an icon for the labels.

As a piece of art, very cool. As an interface made to be sold to musicians... d'oh!
Sir Ruff
dogoftears wrote:
i'm curious if the whole thing is digital. i'm curious also, if it's all digital, are the jack connections actual audio connections or more like that weird patchable digital synth that mungo made a long time ago? also the abundance of sequencing blocks is really cool.

Yes, I was immediately reminded of the Mungo FM modular as well (shame that thing was so expensive). Like the Mungo, it is 100% digital, from wavetables to filter, as far as I can tell. That was my default assumption until shown otherwise, and this makes more sense anyway from a cost perspective.

Also, regarding the knobs, he is now looking into using some Davies knobs based on customer suggestions--good news.

Lastly, re: website, it's literally one dude making these so a break being given is definitely in order, BUT I realize that my original link drops you into the middle of the page (rather than the top), so maybe that's where some of the confusion was generated from.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3