MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gibson on life support?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Gibson on life support?
globalwm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Xi9GQ48iY

I also wondered about those self-tuners and stupid looking monitors…. 1B in revenues and you can’t keep afloat? Must have been all that bad LBO activity. “Just make 10 really great models…”

I like Rick’s channel…
commodorejohn
I can't explain why or pretend that it's entirely rational, but I had a premonition from the moment I read about the announcement of the Robot Guitar that it was only a matter of time.
dkcg
Gibson makes instruments??? I thought they made a "lifestyle" to brand.

Some speculation on the web about Yamaha buying Gibson, which I think would be good for the brand. Better than Henry...

But my bet is on Uli making a last minute swoop in to takeover Gibson, well not really, but I could see it happening.
controlFreak
guitaring is on its way out sadly
commodorejohn
controlFreak wrote:
guitaring is on its way out sadly

I'd think it's less that than it's that the low-to-mid-tier brands have gotten good enough that it's harder for non-professionals to justify paying $2,000 or more for the Genuine Article, especially when the manufacturer's had a run of bad word-of-mouth due to various issues in the last few years. If I'd heard about Supro what I've heard about Gibson's build quality in the last few years, I'd certainly never have dropped $900 on the bass I purchased recently.
GovernorSilver
D'Angelico (back from the dead! wink), Reverend, and Strandberg are among the mid-tier brands that appear to have been steadily growing these past few years, and adding a few big names here and there to the artist rosters.
popvulture
Gibson's been making abysmal decisions for years—frankly I think the only good stuff they put out is the Historic/Custom variety, and that shit is insanely expensive.

Yamaha purchase would be rad.
nangu
I’ve been boycotting every brand that Gibson has absorbed.

That’s gotten pretty painful lately- Tascam stuff is usually pretty solid.

I’ll be first in line if the new owner brings back Opcode Vision..
numan7
it sure would be nice to see epiphone become its own company again.

cheers
tim gueguen
numan7 wrote:
it sure would be nice to see epiphone become its own company again.

It won't. It will either be part of whatever company absorbs Gibson, or become a brand of someone like Korg. In either case they'll still be made in the same factories they are now.

There are reports a Chinese investment group is interested in Gibson.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/02/28/gibson-guitar-vulture-acqu isition/
loydb
Who knew the market for poorly-made $6,000 guitars would go south? I blame millennials.
moylando
Heritage Guitars (built at the old Gibson Kalamazoo plant) can fulfill most needs for Gibson style guitars, regardless of what happens to Gibson et al.

I'm a fan.
Noothgrush
the brand will live , the current formula however just doesn't work !!
Zube
Have you played a new one lately? I couldn't justify how bad it played vs the price. Four digit prices for three digit value. They've messed with dealers for over twenty years now, too. So it's no surprise.
loydb
moylando wrote:
Heritage Guitars (built at the old Gibson Kalamazoo plant) can fulfill most needs for Gibson style guitars, regardless of what happens to Gibson et al.

I'm a fan.

Heritage makes some really nice archtops.
dkcg
if you like Heritage Guitars, you might want to get one soon. They look like they're having some financial/reorganizing troubles too.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2018/02/changes_at_herit age_guitar_sou.html
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
I've always been a Fender man, myself.
moylando
There's some news I missed. Does give me an uneasy feeling, but there are lots of small makers out there. Time marches on...

dkcg wrote:
if you like Heritage Guitars, you might want to get one soon. They look like they're having some financial/reorganizing troubles too.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2018/02/changes_at_herit age_guitar_sou.html
appliancide
Pugilistas
Good riddance to Henry J.! 'Bout time. Gibson (and the many companies it has eaten and destroyed), may have a chance to come back now.
VinceL
I bought my first Gibson bass (EB-3) in 1973. The store had to pull 4 out of the shipping cartons until I found one that played well.

My fingers are quite short (hold the jokes please Mr. Green ), so I really need short scale basses with thin necks. Well, there aren't that many of them. So, in the 2007-2010 years I got aggressive about picking up several Gibson/Epiphone short scale basses:
- Epiphone Alan Woody
- Epiphone Flying V
- Epiphone EB-3 Elite
- Gibson SG Bass
- Another Gibson SG Bass

I guess I have been lucky, but all these basses play well.

Given the uncertainty of Gibson's future, I'm glad I stocked up. Rockin' Banana!
GuyaGuy
It's unlikely they will fold completely. As part of the bankruptcy plan, they're selling off their audio brands that were losing them money. It looks like there might be plans of possibly getting rid of their CEO, who has been been fingered as a large source of their problems. Worst case scenario, someone would come along and buy them, but for now they're racing to make their noteholders happy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-01/gibson-files-for-ba nkruptcy-with-deal-to-renew-guitar-business
dkcg
Part of me hopes Behringer swoops in and buys Gibson. Uli wouldn't have to make Gibson clones, he could just makes clones that are gibson. Epiphones pricing would be dropped to be free, Gibsons would drop to $150 LP standards, and $300 custom shop Les Pauls made in Zhongshan in the Guondong province. But due to new tariffs, the pricing would end up about the same as they are now and only sold through Alibaba and Walmart. Woohoo!

Everybody loves cheap instruments, no?
MindMachine
VinceL wrote:
I bought my first Gibson bass (EB-3) in 1973. The store had to pull 4 out of the shipping cartons until I found one that played well.

My fingers are quite short (hold the jokes please Mr. Green ), so I really need short scale basses with thin necks. Well, there aren't that many of them. So, in the 2007-2010 years I got aggressive about picking up several Gibson/Epiphone short scale basses:
- Epiphone Alan Woody
- Epiphone Flying V
- Epiphone EB-3 Elite
- Gibson SG Bass
- Another Gibson SG Bass

I guess I have been lucky, but all these basses play well.

Given the uncertainty of Gibson's future, I'm glad I stocked up. Rockin' Banana!

Flying V bass: SlayerBadger!

I just want a Felix Pappalardi:

VinceL
MindMachine wrote:

I just want a Felix Pappalardi:

I've kept my eye open for an EB-1 over the years. But, damn, those things sell for some serious Never maintain cash savings again
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1