MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Gibson on life support?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Gibson on life support?
electricanada
GuyaGuy wrote:
It looks like there might be plans of possibly getting rid of their CEO, who has been been fingered as a large source of their problems.

Dunno. Henry is co-owner--hard to get rid of. And he is their entire problem. He's a huge lying @sshole. That episode where he smuggled endangered wood poached from a national park in Madagascar and then complained that law enforcement was persecuting him shows you everything you need to know about him.
tim gueguen
Henry J. is gone sometime next year. He's been given the typical "Here's a bunch of money. Officially you're a consultant, unofficially you'll keep your mouth shut and stay out of the way" treatment under the bankruptcy agreement.
felixer
electricanada wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:
It looks like there might be plans of possibly getting rid of their CEO, who has been been fingered as a large source of their problems.

Dunno. Henry is co-owner--hard to get rid of. And he is their entire problem. He's a huge lying @sshole. That episode where he smuggled endangered wood poached from a national park in Madagascar and then complained that law enforcement was persecuting him shows you everything you need to know about him.

well, after booze smuggling and other dope smuggling this is a new one.
in singapore they hang you for the second offence. still some trees left, so be my guest.
it was clear from the beginning that he is 'only in it for the money'. not surprising if you know his background. i do miss zappa: he would have made a great song about this.
electricanada
felixer wrote:
electricanada wrote:
GuyaGuy wrote:

well, after booze smuggling and other dope smuggling this is a new one.
in singapore they hang you for the second offence. still some trees left, so be my guest.
it was clear from the beginning that he is 'only in it for the money'. not surprising if you know his background. i do miss zappa: he would have made a great song about this.

And then there was the time Gibson got sanctioned for putting "Made in USA" stickers on guitars made in Japan. Then there was Henry sucking up to the evil dictator in Fiji. Henry is an awful, awful man.
felixer
ok, what rhymes with henry?
btw 'made in' doesn't mean a thing. on line6 boxes it says 'made in usa' on the device it says 'made in china' and on the pcb it says 'malaysia'. wtf????
electricanada
felixer wrote:
ok, what rhymes with henry?
btw 'made in' doesn't mean a thing. on line6 boxes it says 'made in usa' on the device it says 'made in china' and on the pcb it says 'malaysia'. wtf????

Don't know how line6 gets away with that. Gibson got smacked down by the feds. Maybe no one has dropped the dime on line6 yet, whereas Henry has many enemies (among his own dealers, and for good reason).
felixer
well, 'made in' can mean they put the knobs on. or put it in a box. or any other minor thingie. afaik there is no minimum amout of work that is required ...
it's like 'handcrafted': hardly anybody goes without electrical tools. so how far do you take that: just drills and saws? or is cnc okay, i mean somebody has put that piece of wood in the machine by hand, right? and taken out the endresult and put that on a stack/cart. that's how a lot of manufecturers work nowadays.
anyway it doesn't really matter as long as it is working right, now does it? only for purists and hardcore nationalists it might be a big deal. and i could never ever be one of those (just by birth that is not for me).
felixer
electricanada wrote:
Henry has many enemies (among his own dealers, and for good reason).

yeah, misbehaviour gets punished. sometimes ...
in this case he is just getting what he deserves. took a while but here it is.
pity they can't go back. i hear the old building in kalamazoo has been demolished.
maybe just keep the 'customshop' and dump the rest ...
electricanada
felixer wrote:
well, 'made in' can mean they put the knobs on. or put it in a box. or any other minor thingie. afaik there is no minimum amout of work that is required ...
it's like 'handcrafted': hardly anybody goes without electrical tools. so how far do you take that: just drills and saws? or is cnc okay, i mean somebody has put that piece of wood in the machine by hand, right? and taken out the endresult and put that on a stack/cart. that's how a lot of manufecturers work nowadays.
anyway it doesn't really matter as long as it is working right, now does it? only for purists and hardcore nationalists it might be a big deal. and i could never ever be one of those (just by birth that is not for me).

Good point, but when Gibson got sanctioned, US law did specify how much work had to be done in the US to qualify for "made in" labels. Gibson was doing most of it in Japan, and just putting on some finishing touches in the US. Ergo, Gibson did violate the law. Whether that is a law worth having and enforcing is a separate question.

My larger point, in case it wasn't clear, is that Henry is a dishonest piece of sh!t, for which there is far too much evidence to post here.
moylando
felixer wrote:
electricanada wrote:

pity they can't go back. i hear the old building in kalamazoo has been demolished.

Isn't the Kalamazoo building still used by Heritage Guitars?
felixer
moylando wrote:
felixer wrote:
electricanada wrote:

Isn't the Kalamazoo building still used by Heritage Guitars?

haven't heard from/about them in a long time ... most of those guys must be in their 80ies. or even older ... maybe they do the annual picknick.
moylando
Isn't the Kalamazoo building still used by Heritage Guitars?[/quote]
haven't heard from/about them in a long time ... most of those guys must be in their 80ies. or even older ... maybe they do the annual picknick.[/quote]

They did seem to update their website this year, but seem to be behind in completing the updates. Not really sure what their status is.
Rex Coil 7
felixer wrote:
...on line6 boxes it says 'made in usa' on the device it says 'made in china' and on the pcb it says 'malaysia'. wtf????
That's hyperbole. Actually all three of our M13s, both of our M5s, and both of our Spider IV amps (seven devices) say "Designed in the US - Made in China" on the device, the box, and in the manuals. I just looked to make sure. And ....

... the PCB is made in Malaysia.

... the final assembly of the device is done in Chinoville.

electricanada wrote:
Don't know how line6 gets away with that. Gibson got smacked down by the feds. Maybe no one has dropped the dime on line6 yet ...

Line 6 isn't "getting away" with anything, and there's nothing to "drop a dime on them" about.

Easy peasy.

thumbs up
Kent
felixer wrote:

You’ve step outside of the boundaries of your knowledge here. It colors the conversation and I wouldn’t be surprised if the following quote weren’t also erroneous.
“Made In...” and “Assembled In...” have legal definitions in the EU and the USA. I’ve worked in the audio manufacturing industry for well over 2 decades. What you’ve stated simply isn’t the case.

felixer wrote:

I’d have to see photos of this being true for any one product. The PCB aspect is one thing but the other 2?
felixer
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
felixer wrote:
...on line6 boxes it says 'made in usa' on the device it says 'made in china' and on the pcb it says 'malaysia'. wtf????
That's hyperbole. Actually all three of our M13s, both of our M5s, and both of our Spider IV amps (seven devices) say "Designed in the US - Made in China" on the device, the box, and in the manuals. I just looked to make sure. And ....

... the PCB is made in Malaysia.

... the final assembly of the device is done in Chinoville.

electricanada wrote:
Don't know how line6 gets away with that. Gibson got smacked down by the feds. Maybe no one has dropped the dime on line6 yet ...

Line 6 isn't "getting away" with anything, and there's nothing to "drop a dime on them" about.

Easy peasy.

thumbs up

nice that someone speaks out! like i said, i don't care. could be made on mars afaik. but there seem to be some rigid rules here. but it is typical i managed to misread it. and it is even sillier that it should matter.
it's just the general feel of hype and hysteria surrounding the audio/fx industrie. with hyperbole galore ...
loydb
The rules for "Made In" are pretty stringent. Just watched it go down in the watch world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertanaas/2016/06/20/ftc-rules-on-made- in-america-concept-for-shinola-watches/#6f4566537950
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2