MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

how are you sequencing all of your voices?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author how are you sequencing all of your voices?
jburzy
like the title says, how is everyone sequencing all of their voices?

I am building a system and want to make tracks with up to 4 melodic voices sequenced simultaneously. Currently I am using the voltage block but it is far from ideal for melodic sequencing. Obviously the idea scenario is to have 4 dedicated sequencers for this but I do not and never will have that large of a system. I want a solution with the ability to modify sequences on the fly, change between presets, and be able to have fun while jamming rather than twiddle with little sliders to dial in the right note.

I have looked at the eloquencer which looks good but still doesn't seem to have the performance aspect that I am looking for. I am willing to go off-rack for my sequencing and have begun looking at grid+ansible. the kria program seems to have what I am looking for but I am worried that I will be lost in all the functionality. does anyone have any thoughts? what are you using?
Nightly Closures
SE Engine. I absolutely love it. I usually use 4 tracks for 4 mono "voices". 1 track for Poly. 1-3 tracks for drums. 1-2 tracks for clocks.
captjrab
Maybe Voltage Block would work better with an O&C quad quantizer going (i forget the name of the app). You can use the note masks, so less notes to slide through.
jburzy
captjrab wrote:
Maybe Voltage Block would work better with an O&C quad quantizer going (i forget the name of the app). You can use the note masks, so less notes to slide through.

that's a really good idea I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure what you mean by note masks though....would I need to attenuate the output of the VB first or can O+C handle that?
uniquepersonno2
Nerdseq!
HighLordFixer

made my own systems for sequencing
Contemplated just such the question for long time...
manipulating Midi for hardware
can do 6 voices if need be now:
Kenton Mark2
BassStation CV/Gate out
Paia Midi2cv using the 4 outs with cv gate
KMF is like CGS Infinite Melody Machine/Tiadex Muse/Psyche-Tone
all rolled into 1 & then some for generating Midi
it only does Midi
can run as many instances as need per dedicated Midi channel
fits my requirements
when not using more tradition methods composing w/midi
plus saves some rack space for other things
works for me
captjrab
jburzy wrote:
captjrab wrote:

that's a really good idea I hadn't thought of that. I'm not sure what you mean by note masks though....would I need to attenuate the output of the VB first or can O+C handle that?

Note Masks is a way to select which notes from the scale you want to use. No need to attenuate anything. O&C has a lot of scales to choose from, up to four at a time. You will need to mult your VB clock to trigger O&C. Boh have clock dividers too so you can have all kinds of syncopation going on between yr sequences.
Pretty fun stuff and very jammable too.
Im currently doing something like this with the VB and 4MS SMR as my sequencer/quantiser. I dont know if I would recommend this, lol, but I feel like its virgin patching territory with great compositional possibilities.
Xtheunknown
I use Reaktor Blocks through an expanded ES-8 (ES-3) with TouchOSC for interactive control. It’s massively powerful, extensible and customizable. 16 channels of polyrhythmic bliss....
ziggomatic
I use the Cirklon Sequencer with CVIO eurorack Breakout module. It's an absolute game changer with more than enough capability to do everything you are outlining. It's incredibly capable yet you can make fun quick patterns on the fly by using the "sculpt" knob (lets you record step values into a sequence in real time for things like pitch, note length, any modulation, etc). I find it awesome as a quick idea generator, especially when you enable "force to scale" so you can never chose an out of key note. Don't even get me started on the "note sharing/stealing" functionality where you can steal or force notes from other sequence voices and do things like transpose, mix various sequence lengths, add randomness....

In my 360hp case I have it setup for 4 voices at the moment where each voice has 5 CV's (typically 1 for gate, 1 for pitch, and 3 for all the fun modulation stuff). You could also easily set it up for 8 voices if you wanted, its extremely flexible.

Plus if you ever wanted to, you can plug a MIDI keyboard in and record note sequences as starting points, or play voices in real time through the keyboard when auditioning patches and such. I often just tap in random notes with rhythms I like and then use the sculpt input to play with the notes and note lengths later.

On a basic level you could consider Cirklon the most advanced MIDI>CV module on the market.
HighLordFixer
by the way you can crank out sequencers using the 4017 chip...
chain them together using linked reset

and switch on the fly for 1x32 2x16 or 4x8

you can then send CV for "transposing" the "sequencers"
mattsb
Digitakt to FH-1 + Expander.

2 of the jacks are used for clocking (24ppqn and 1 ppqn). I use 4 pairs for CV/Gate and the rest as modulators controlled via CCs from the Digitakt. It's pretty cool, if you are looking for "intentional" sequencing either by dialing in notes and gate lengths, or live recorded.
luketeaford
jburzy wrote:
Obviously the idea scenario is to have 4 dedicated sequencers

I disagree-- the ideal is to have one sequencer you can perform with.

Here are a few approaches I use:

Sample and Hold at a different clock rate than original sequence. Optional: CV control over sample rate or sequencer clock.

Sample and Hold the sequence with logic periodically sustaining previous notes. ALso works with track and hold but in a different way.

Invert the sequence (or invert/offset/attenuate).

Requantize your sequence (optionally to a different scale, optionally with a switch to choose a scale)

Remapping: similar to quantizer but notes aren't 1:1. You could use an addressable sequencer like the voltage multistage to map one incoming voltage (main pitch sequence) to two different sets of 8 values. They don't have to be linear. Optionally you can switch between them (and use any of the other techniques above)

You can use max/minimum modules for simple arrangement/mixing of sequences. Of course there's no rule you need to use quantized sequences here-- LFOs, noise, random voltage, etc can all work or any of the above techniques.

Transpose a sequence with clocks/LFOs/other sequencers.

And lots more still to be discovered.
hawkfuzz
Stillson Hammer 2
jburzy
no endorsements for grid+ansible? the more I'm reading up on it the more suited it seems for my system. although stilson hammer does look pretty sexy...
wiggies
I use Numerology for most of my sequencing, sent through CV.OCD to the modular. I have the CV.OCD configured to send four note streams, each with its own gate and trigger out.

I love Numerology, because even though it is software, it is very much modular and you can do so much manipulation of the sequences. I can create variants of the sequences and have Numerology loop through them. I can set up a sequencer that will transpose all (or some, or whatever) of the other sequencers. I can set up a sequencer that will reverse or randomize any of the other sequencers. I clock them differently, set them to different lengths, use shift registers to cascade notes between them. And I'm still only learning all the possibilities here.
starthief
MIDI from a DAW -> CV.OCD.

Extra gates/clocks processed by G8, Stoicheia, Klasmata, Ladik Burst, Logica Gater.

Matrix mixers or attenuators to "tune" gates into pitches.

Brains + 2x Pressure Points for a while.

Will be picking up a Mimetic Digitalis when those ship.

Lots of drones. grin
BrokenBo
Trigger Riot + Z8000 + Rene.
Markthom
Whilst it may not suit your needs completely, as an adjunct to your main sequencer of choice I would recommend a micro O&C in Quantermain, it can spit out 4 quantised voices from the cv you feed it and tweak on the fly, or it can generate melodies internally which can be remarkably melodic.......great capability in a small footprint.....I have to admit that I'm pretty obsessed with using it as a generative sequencer.....

As I say, it may not be a complete solution, but with a switch or matrix you can flip between it and your other sequencer which will give a lot of melodic possibilities. The clip below was internally generated by the Quantermain app, with some tweaking of the parameters by me.

moremagic
i use external gear for sequencing, right now ive got the beatstep, tb-03, and mono/poly arleggiator all modulating the modular
DruidTek
The 1010music toolbox is my primary sequencer. It has 4 x polyphonic note sequencers, 4 x gate sequencers & 4 x function generators, plus an additional 4 x MIDI ports for driving other gear.

There's heaps of modulation options, unlimited presets and the mute screen is really great for live performance.

https://1010music.com/toolbox-1010music-llc-creative-new-touch-screen- polyphonic-eurorack-sequencer
AW198
DruidTek wrote:
The 1010music toolbox is my primary sequencer. It has 4 x polyphonic note sequencers, 4 x gate sequencers & 4 x function generators, plus an additional 4 x MIDI ports for driving other gear.

There's heaps of modulation options, unlimited presets and the mute screen is really great for live performance.

https://1010music.com/toolbox-1010music-llc-creative-new-touch-screen- polyphonic-eurorack-sequencer

Piano roll editing? May as well use your computer! Guinness ftw!
Carrousel
Another Cirklon user here. It is indeed a game changer. The CVIO board, when patched up, allows you to treat each of your Euro voices just like another synth in the studio. I have absolutely loved the centralising, standardising nature of it. I sequence my whole studio from one box now and it's a dream to use. When you start using the aux modes it just gets nuts. Imagine swapping notes between a minimoog sequence and a crazy messed up euro voice....then suddenly it's getting mangled with something else. Bat shit territory.
jburzy
Markthom wrote:
Whilst it may not suit your needs completely, as an adjunct to your main sequencer of choice I would recommend a micro O&C in Quantermain, it can spit out 4 quantised voices from the cv you feed it and tweak on the fly, or it can generate melodies internally which can be remarkably melodic.......great capability in a small footprint.....I have to admit that I'm pretty obsessed with using it as a generative sequencer.....

As I say, it may not be a complete solution, but with a switch or matrix you can flip between it and your other sequencer which will give a lot of melodic possibilities. The clip below was internally generated by the Quantermain app, with some tweaking of the parameters by me.

the micro o_c is definitely on my wish list! gonna grab one next time I find a cheap used one
kreiff
I've been similarly searching for a good sequencing set up for the past year or so. I've been on the Cirklon waitlist for almost a year...so I haven't gotten to try this sequencer, but in the meantime I've tried a couple other options.

I really love the beatstep pro - but it maxes out at 2 monophonic, melodic voices. The CV / Gate works perfectly and it was comparatively cheap (vs. Cirklon, Pyramid, Carbon), but I didn't want to buy two of them...

From there I decided to try the Squarp Pyramid -> Expert Sleepers FH-1. This so far as been the best workflow for me. The FH-1 is a great midi->CV converter and the midi fx (Quantizer, Arpeggiator, Harmonizer, Delay, Randomizer, Transpose, Chance, midi LFO) on the Pyramid allow you to do some pretty cool things that you wouldn't necessarily dial into a traditional euro sequencer. The live mode also allows you to dial in scales or chords (if you're working from the 4 voice poly mode on the FH-1). The Pyramid does lack in native CV outs - but I've found the midi effects to be so fun that it was worth getting the FH-1 to support conversion.

I looked at the Kilpatrick Audio Carbon - which has 4 native CV / Gate outs, but I thought the more tactile interface of the Pryamid looked more fun to work with.
insoul8
ornament and crime lately has been a lot of fun.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6