MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any love for the Alesis MMT8?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Any love for the Alesis MMT8?
tioJim
Hello

Any love for the Alesis MMT8 or is it just too painfully long in the tooth now?

Looking for very basic hardware MIDI sequencer to compliment my modular, mainly to sequence a DSI OB-6

J
cscairney
I did a ton of sequencing on my MMT-8. I actually loved punching in the values on the keypad. after about a week of practice I was flying on it. I liked it a lot in tandem with the HR-16.

People ask way too much for it these days. But its a fun little sequencer if gotten cheap.
ersatzplanet
I have three of them. Two I use and one as "spare parts". I typically have two of them in series and with the same programs on both. I almost exclusively play in pattern mode. I start with one and start adding tracks until all 8 are being used, then start adding tracks from the second and subtracting from the first. When I have moved all the way over to the second, I change the pattern on the first and start moving back. If you write songs that fit together tonally and keep the tracks dedicated to instrument types or functions (bass, lead, background, drums etc), you can go back and forth for hours. Come back to the first pattern you started with and end the piece.

The other great thing about the MMT-8 is that it records EVERYTHING. You can record multiple MIDI channels at once into a track, so if you do layered sounds, you don't have to do multiple tracks like most DAWs make you do. Or have to tell the track what channel to "listen" for like most DAWs. You can feed a whole multi-channel song into one track (memory dependent of course). You can record SysEx messages too.

The main thing about the MMT-8 is that it is PLAYABLE. Don't think of it as a song player, but as a live arranger. Get yourself a free computer MIDI SysEx program (there are plenty shareware ones out there) and back it up often. Sometime there is a hiccup and your data will get scrambled. With two of them it seldom happen to both so you can easily dump one into the other without a computer at all (the third "for Parts" one I have does this job).

A great piece of kit until the buttons go south, then it is sort of a pain. There are many solutions on the net for that problem. I even thought of replacing all the switches with Tact pushbuttons but there are a TON of switches on that beast.
MAXTHEDOG
thumbs up
Had one years ago. Great, just great.Get one. :hi hi:
It's a hardware sequencer, I'm biased I've got four (not MMT's) a MAQ16/3, Dark time, MC50, and a MC80EX.

I find there's something really satisfying about punching in notes, CC's etc into them and micro editing them (it's an age thing since it was my only option back in the day!).
As James says get Sys ex editor to back up or just record the MIDI into your DAW.
Regards,
MTD.
tioJim
Great stuff, thanks!

But ... are you saying you can only punch values in?! Surely it can record in real time yeah? I'll go check manual ...
ersatzplanet
tioJim wrote:
Great stuff, thanks!

But ... are you saying you can only punch values in?! Surely it can record in real time yeah? I'll go check manual ...

It records in real time. Just hit record and start playing. You can edit manually if you want too.
tioJim
ersatzplanet wrote:
tioJim wrote:
Great stuff, thanks!

It records in real time. Just hit record and start playing. You can edit manually if you want too.

Rockin' Banana!
Ranxerox
Yeah, my first MIDI sequencer 25 years ago, used together with a Yamaha DX11 recorded straight to boombox. The MMT-8 is a classic bit of kit - very easy to use once you get used to it, and the dedicated mute buttons for each of the 8 tracks are surprisingly useful.

The only caution I would have is the buttons - they were dreadful, squishy things that seemed to require multiple pushes to engage properly. Maybe this was to do with dirty contacts, in which case there could be a simple fix or maintenance that could be done to remedy?
sutekina bipu-on
I still use a mmt8, in fact i went back to it after trying lots of other more advanced sequencers, it is just really good at what it does and I love it. Memory size is its only limitation but i always basically make patterns and play over them so it works for me I have been meaning to solder tact switches to one of my control boards though to make the buttons clicky.
MAXTHEDOG
Hi TioJim,
Yes, as stated above you can plug in your keys/pads and record in real time and tidy it up afterwards,
I'm just a bit masochistic! very frustrating
MTD.
Monotremata
They were fun. I had one maybe 20 years ago along with both of the HR-16s. I jumped right into it, because it was fairly close to the sequencer in my SR-16 I can program in my sleep. Was planning on using it for live stuff, but by that point everything I did was in either Logic or Cubase anyways, so I just kept using the DAW and ended up selling it. Think I only managed to actually compose one full song on it (which of course I never recorded with my DAW before I sold it and lost my big hit that was gonna make me rich).
nuketifromorbit
Love mine, and despite owning a social entropy engine I'll never sell it. Honestly if it featured step entry I probably wouldn't have even bothered to purchase the engine.
TheDegenerateElite
Craig Anderton wrote a book about these and the HR-16 that had lots of little tricks in it.

Can't remember the specifics, but I've got it in a box around here somewhere.

I'm sure it's cheap on ebay or where ever.

edit - or stupid expensive on Amazon from scalpers.
h4ndcrafted
Didn’t Orbital use them for their live sets, I remember seeing a video explaining why they liked them.
wiperactive
h4ndcrafted wrote:
Didn’t Orbital use them for their live sets, I remember seeing a video explaining why they liked them.

They made very extensive use of these for their live performances (at least three at a time a believe) due to ease of use combined with on-the-fly flexibility .

I have one that's been in storage for many years, almost forgotten about it, but I intend to retrieve it once I'm out of my current no-studio 'grounded' period as I have a feeling it can still more than hold its own against current hardware in terms of very direct effectiveness.

Just hope those buttons are still OK.
tioJim
wiperactive wrote:
once I'm out of my current no-studio 'grounded' period

?
wiperactive
tioJim wrote:
wiperactive wrote:

?

Had to 'abandon' and store away my almost completed and workable home studio and relocate some years ago due to a new influx of bad neighbours. Seriously bad incoming excess noise pollution 24/7, had to get away to save my sanity! The set-up worked well for all until that point.

Since then I've been stuck in unsuitable premises for my needs. I'm happy to work at moderate sound levels but the current living arrangement (which I didn't choose) is such a close 'neighbour-sandwich' situation that I'm very reluctant to be the potential source of irritation for others.

I dislike noise pollution no matter which direction it comes from, so I'm still searching for an affordable solution (meantime SDIY is the release)... as a non-home owner on low income this is very difficult in the UK with the ongoing housing 'crises'. Hugely frustrating, but I'm far from alone!

Anyway, sorry for the explanation diversion, this thread is about MMT-8s isn't it.
tioJim
wiperactive wrote:
tioJim wrote:
wiperactive wrote:

?

Had to 'abandon' and store away my almost completed and workable home studio and relocate some years ago due to a new influx of bad neighbours. Seriously bad incoming excess noise pollution 24/7, had to get away to save my sanity! The set-up worked well for all until that point.

Since then I've been stuck in unsuitable premises for my needs. I'm happy to work at moderate sound levels but the current living arrangement (which I didn't choose) is such a close 'neighbour-sandwich' situation that I'm very reluctant to be the potential source of irritation for others.

I dislike noise pollution no matter which direction it comes from, so I'm still searching for an affordable solution (meantime SDIY is the release)... as a non-home owner on low income this is very difficult in the UK with the ongoing housing 'crises'. Hugely frustrating, but I'm far from alone!

Anyway, sorry for the explanation diversion, this thread is about MMT-8s isn't it.

No not at all, thanks for sharing, totally understand! UK too. Housing in this country is a scandal. My domestic scenario is ok but I can rarely make excess noise, nor would I want to if it disturbed people.

In a sane world there would be affordable access to secure creative spaces to develop both artistically and/or commercially.

J
Licudi
I'm amazed no one has updated the MMT8. The basic machine is very sound, but a much bigger display, metal case and non-membrane buttons would be improvements. Maybe back-up via an SD slot.
HighLordFixer
My MMT8 is hidden around here somewhere
was in red carry case specifically for that machine
hmmm
that hasn't seen use in ages
was doing some experiments with it last remember &....
kept running out of memory with like 3+ songs
yet may have been attempting something absurd with it then
like bunch of 1/16 1/32 1/64 notes
or 10+ minute trax
been super long time since that's gotten any action
actually it's good machine for what it does...
roland mc500 midi sequencer units of same era...
really like them.... yet...
seen those self destruct multiple times
then start freaking out or just drop all the saved sequences in memory
and or completely just stop working in any way
sure that my MMT8 is fully functional after all these years
soundshaper
Licudi wrote:
I'm amazed no one has updated the MMT8. The basic machine is very sound, but a much bigger display, metal case and non-membrane buttons would be improvements. Maybe back-up via an SD slot.

It was and is still a great design concept, and it’s so surprising to me too that there is not a modern equivalent. I would love to have a Launchpad-like device that recorded midi loops in a similar way to the MMT-8. This would make live performance super fun and eliminate the need for a computer running Ableton.
MrNezumi
Count me in the number that love the MMT-8 and also wonder why there is no modern equivalent. I usually use mine to record a bass/rhythm track, loop it, and jam over the top. I always use it in real-time record mode.

Mine is the later black version which, iirc, is better than the grey ones.
Monotremata
MrNezumi wrote:
Count me in the number that love the MMT-8 and also wonder why there is no modern equivalent. I usually use mine to record a bass/rhythm track, loop it, and jam over the top. I always use it in real-time record mode.

Nah they're pretty much exactly the same. The black ones were just the last of the line, they were probably made black to match the "newer" HR-16B. Still the same OS, same buttons, same memory, etc.. The only bonus other than the cool black case, is a black one more than likely already has the last OS installed so you won't have to update it. Grey ones are cheap and a dime a dozen, just get one of those if its around and throw in a $20-$40 1.11 OS ROM if you really need one. You don't even have to solder, the chips are socketed. If you wanna update the memory chips, THATS where the two models differ, and they each require you soldering in a daughterboard for the power supply connection in different spots. Thats probably not even worth it, as the cost of the new memory chips, and the extra parts you need to install, probably cost more than what you paid for the MMT-8 to start with.
sutekina bipu-on
Monotremata wrote:
MrNezumi wrote:

Nah they're pretty much exactly the same. The black ones were just the last of the line, they were probably made black to match the "newer" HR-16B. Still the same OS, same buttons, same memory, etc.. The only bonus other than the cool black case, is a black one more than likely already has the last OS installed so you won't have to update it. Grey ones are cheap and a dime a dozen, just get one of those if its around and throw in a $20-$40 1.11 OS ROM if you really need one. You don't even have to solder, the chips are socketed. If you wanna update the memory chips, THATS where the two models differ, and they each require you soldering in a daughterboard for the power supply connection in different spots. Thats probably not even worth it, as the cost of the new memory chips, and the extra parts you need to install, probably cost more than what you paid for the MMT-8 to start with.

This is the first i've heard of any memory daughterboard for the mmt-8, is this some kind of mythical sequencer expansion or something? The two RAM chips are socketed so if they need to be replaced they don't require much more work... I would love to do the mod to mine if it can be made to have more RAM
HighLordFixer
we need more information on mythical extra memory for MMT8!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3