yikes!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

flippantminister
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

yikes!

Post by flippantminister » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm

so i plugged my first module in backwards...

just got a polivoks a couple of days ago. didnt have time to fool with it, all i did was plug it in, ran some sound through it to make sure it worked. the module worked, things seemed normal. tonight i actually had some spare time and sat down to play with it. plugged in the modular, everything was fine. plugged something into the polivoks, and half the lights on the synth cut out. i tried several different things, but everytime i plugged something into the polivoks, things got weird. i unplugged the modular, checked the power cable to the polivoks- it's plugged in backwards. what the fuck? did the synth fairy come in and fuck shit up while i was away? turned the cable around, plugged it in, everything seems to work just fine... thankfully...

SO.
am i just lucky? is harvestman stuff built smart? is there a possibility i could have blown anything up in another module? like i said, haven't noticed anything wrong, yet. most importantly, how did the cable get turned around? is it possible i had it wrong the whole time, and it somehow worked before? is there in fact a synth fairy? do i have an unknown sleepwalking problem? is my wife trying to sabotage my synth? :confused:

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 pm

The first time I socketed a chip backwards, it blew up. Literally :eek:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Re: yikes!

Post by D/A A/D » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 pm

flippantminister wrote:am i just lucky?
yes
is harvestman stuff built smart?

yes
is there a possibility i could have blown anything up in another module?

you would know
how did the cable get turned around?
synth gnomes!
is it possible i had it wrong the whole time, and it somehow worked before?
sounds like it
is there in fact a synth fairy?
see above
do i have an unknown sleepwalking problem?
that's what your wife said
is my wife trying to sabotage my synth?
see above

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:50 am

When I received my Tyme Sefari with A Sound of Thunder, the interconnecting ribbon cable was backwards. Caused me a bunch of grief in trying to figure out if the whole thing was broken. Contacted the boys @ Harvestman and AH... then tried it with no ASOT connected.

Scott told me which direction the red stripes should go & then all was güt :party:

The funny thing was that, with the cable backwards, it was continually circuit bent... kinda fucked when you first get it and can't even get a simple delay out of it.

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:18 pm

A while ago I got a simple little ASolutions Buffer and maybe plugged it in backwards or not. All powered on fine but when I plugged a cable from that to an Env the whole case turned off. When I pulled it out and powered on again I found I had blown up a Doepfer A-191 Midi-CV, my $700 Analogue Systems RS-300 CV-Midi and the buffer. Quite a loss on a little mistake on little cheap module.

D/A A/D
glorious dissonance

Post by D/A A/D » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:43 pm

REwire wrote:A while ago I got a simple little ASolutions Buffer and maybe plugged it in backwards or not. All powered on fine but when I plugged a cable from that to an Env the whole case turned off. When I pulled it out and powered on again I found I had blown up a Doepfer A-191 Midi-CV, my $700 Analogue Systems RS-300 CV-Midi and the buffer. Quite a loss on a little mistake on little cheap module.
I was terrified of the same thing when I got my A Solutions mixer/inverter... That sucks bro.

REwire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by REwire » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:14 pm

I now have a Plan-B Model 1 Powered Protector. I test each suspected new module through that first.

governor blacksnake
ant in the afterbirth

Re: yikes!

Post by governor blacksnake » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:45 am

flippantminister wrote:is harvestman stuff built smart?
Some of the old stuff (pretty much all of the currently available designs) was built pretty stupidly, actually. I have found that Malgorithms are surprisingly tolerant to reversed power supply voltages. I've only encountered one in the wild that had flames come out of it, and I only needed to replace two opamps and the voltage regulator...

The Polivoks easily survives reversed rails, though the jack nuts become 12 volts hot which can wreak havoc on things if you plug a jack in halfway, or complete a connection to another module, and so on...

Buckage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Buckage » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 am

I recently upgraded to a monster case and when I was moving my modules I plugged my Malgorithm in backwards. When I powered it up I saw and smelled the dreaded blue smoke.

I fried the Malgorithm, my A190, A191, elf adsr and Cwejman AI-2 because they were all on the same rail. I understand the Doepfers blowing because of the DACs on them but the elf and AI-2? Not sure what happened with those. Doepfer has fixed the 190 and 191. Still waiting for my elf (heard Peter is doing some kind of upgrade to the adsr) and my Cwejman. I miss the AI-2 the most out of them since it was the way into the DAW.

I found a used Malgorithm and kept my burnt up one because it still made a great horrible noise just not as controllable as a properly working one. I have renamed it the MuyMalgorithm.

:doh: :bang: :roll:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I found a used Malgorithm and kept my burnt up one because it still made a great horrible noise just not as controllable as a properly working one. I have renamed it the MuyMalgorithm.
That's cool, broken devices for broken sounds

Return to “Eurorack Modules”