MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Recommend one of these VST's
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Recommend one of these VST's
zeit
Going to add a VST instrument and have pretty much narrowed it done to the synths below. Something that would be fun to learn and hopefully complement Analog/Operator & Simpler. in Ableton. I use Push as a controller...

Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V Love this one and it doesn't weigh down my not-so-great CPU (Dual Core), which is a plus. Also, sort of favoring wavetable synths atm, so this is in the lead. Using the demo now. Top of my price range at almost $200

Korg Wavestation: Didn't find a demo for this so can't really tell how much I'll like the interface. It's an interesting synth though and it's only $50, which means I can pick up another VST if I want...the wave sequencing is interesting.

Arturia Synclavier V or CMI V: Both of these are unobtainable so that's part of the attraction but interested in them for the sounds I can get out of them as well. Downloading the demos for these now but it's taking an forever for some reason so figured I'd ask in the meantime....interested if anyone has either one of these and how they like them. Both are at the top of the price range as well, the CMI being the most expensive. Both are workstations too, but to be honest I already have a "workstation" with Ableton/Push so not sure if that's really a plus.

This will probably be my only VST instrument purchase as I'm slowly trying to focus on integrating hardware into my Ableton/Push setup. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these, though the Arturia Buchla could be an alternate..
supersuper
They are all very good synths.

The korg sounds great and is very low cpu but if your going to get it best to get the korg set.
zeit
Finally was able to download the CMI after like 3-4 hours download time..crazy...took a quick look at it but will check out in depth tomorrow morning....but I agree, I don't think I can go wrong w/ any of these choices.

With Arturia's slow download speed I might cross out the Synclavier, will make the choice easier. lol

Low cpu usage on the Korg Wavestation is a big plus, will definitely check out the Korg Collection, hadn't looked at that...thanks...
secretkillerofnames
It probably depends what you are looking for but the Synclavier is much more useful as a synth than the CMI.
If you've already got Ableton why would you need another sampler?
JustGlyphs
The Waldorf and Arturia synths go on sale pretty regularly (I think they were both 50% off for the holiday sale this year) so maybe wait on those to make sure you're getting a good deal. The whole V collection bundle of Arturia synths was on sale for $400 (which includes the CMI, Synclavier, Easel and a ton more), which is a pretty decent deal if you're really interested in those synths. PPG was less than $100 in December from Waldorf's website.

What do you feel is missing from the Ableton stuff you have? Not to challenge your desire for VSTs, just trying to help hone in on what attracted you to those plug-ins.
zeit
Quote:
PPG was less than $100 in December
That's a shame as the price is the only thing that keeps me from getting it....I can wait until early May but after that I'd like to pick something up...

Quote:
What do you feel is missing from the Ableton stuff you have?
If you've already got Ableton why would you need another sampler?

Both very good points and something I should be asking myself a little more. At the moment, the PPG Wave is the only VST that adds something to what I already have so maybe I should focus on wavetable synths instead...there's a thread or two on wavetable synths already so maybe I'll download Serum and give it a try. At the moment, I prefer PPG Wave over Largo, mainly because of PPG Wave's more minimal interface (which I prefer, it's one of the reasons I like using Ableton) and less focus on effects...

One other thing I could consider is simply picking up one of the other Ableton software instruments, I'll check them out in detail sometime today as well....thanks for the replies.
supersuper
I think there is more too look at than just price.

We should really do a sticky on this topic, but basically some companies offer a cheap entry or a discounted entry and then later trap you into upgrade costs. This is fine if your machine is in isolation but if you use it for internet related activities your pretty much on a operating system upgrade path.

Korg have supplied me with the same host of synths for a long time without charging me a dime.

Ableton at least let me upgrade once every two cycles instead which I think is a reasonable balance; they also need to cover their development costs.

I think Roland is onto a winner with their cloud. $20 a month for the whole range and each annualized year of subscription gets you an option to keep one synth for life. If this gives them comfort to forecast demand and develop new options as a result it is a great outcome.

I had very violent gut feel rejections to both microsoft and adobe moving into the subscription space but I am now able to rationalize in the Roland context. subscription has really pressured me to stay focused and use the service I paid for.
zeit
Roland Cloud is something I would definitely be interested in if I wasn't currently stuck w/ a dual core CPU...installed RC, then tested out the System-8 and D-50 plug-in's and both crashed Ableton...CPU was something like 178% lol It's on my list of things to look at once I upgrade my PC though.

It's a toss up between PPG Wave or the Wavestation. I'm going to give Waldorf a little time and see if the price goes down some on the PPG Wave...
Monotremata
Are you dead set on the Wave 3.v?? You can always pick up the Waldorf Edition which has the older, but more CPU friendly PPGWave 2.V in it, and you'll also get the awesome Attack drum machine and D-Pole filter. I think its way cheaper than buying the 3.V too.

The Wavestation is a little different but still cool. The whole Korg Collection is good deal too. You also get the Polysix, Mono/Poly, MS-20, M1, and now it has an ARP Odyssey too.
zeit
Damn, I didn't even noticed the 2.v version. That's around $100 cheaper. Not dead set on the 3.v as long as the 2 version can do similar, basic sounds. Thanks for mentioning it. thumbs up I could add the Wavestation or something else as well at that price too...
hageir
The Wavestation is AWESOME.
The plugin window is non-scalable though, so I have a tendency to put my computer on 800x600 (or even lower) to get it fullscreen! headbang
zeit
Quote:

Yes, I've heard nothing but positive things about it so far. Too bad there is no demo, even if it was a 3 day only demo or something like that.

About the PPG Wave 2.v vs 3.v. I don't know enough about these types of synths to know if having more wavetables is a big deal or not. The 3.v has about 100 more wavetables than 2.v. Also the "Voices per instance" (64 vs. 256) is something to consider as well....

Also, going to give the PPG WaveGenerator and the PPG WaveMapper 2 demos a try to today. They are around $70 cheaper than the PPG Wave 3.v, that's a big enough price difference to consider them.
hageir
zeit wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I've heard nothing but positive things about it so far. Too bad there is no demo, even if it was a 3 day only demo or something like that.

About the PPG Wave 2.v vs 3.v. I don't know enough about these types of synths to know if having more wavetables is a big deal or not. The 3.v has about 100 more wavetables than 2.v. Also the "Voices per instance" (64 vs. 256) is something to consider as well....

Also, going to give the PPG WaveGenerator and the PPG WaveMapper 2 demos a try to today. They are around $70 cheaper than the PPG Wave 3.v, that's a big enough price difference to consider them.

I have tried one of the PPG plugins and it was ridiculously CPU hungry and a bit buggy as well (like it would restart completely when opening a project).
The Wavestation is a good synth and I’ve always wanted one, but I’m tired of menu diving and software editors, the plugin is much easier!
starthief
I have the Waldorf Edition stuff, and don't find PPG Wave 2.V very friendly. Maybe the hardware wasn't either? I just don't fire it up very often though. In the rare cases where I still want to use a wavetable VST instead of my E370 (like for easy polyphony) I just go for Serum.

I never really used Attack, but D-Pole is fiun for dirtying things up.
zeit
Quote:
I have the Waldorf Edition stuff, and don't find PPG Wave 2.V very friendly

This is good to know! The sound browser for 3.V is user friendly for me, but it's not included in 2.V is says so maybe I should take that into consideration.

Testing out the PPG WaveGenerator now. So far, it's easy on my CPU, I just need to find the raw/barebones patches. The presets are just way too over-the-top for me. The 1982 Factory Soundsets in ppg wave 3.v are raw and basic, that's what I prefer...so far the WaveGenerator looks promising...UI is a little too fancy (I prefer a very minimal style of UI) but I can deal with that. Will find/look for the manual as well...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1