MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Just took the plunge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Just took the plunge
Chickenbone
In the beginning when I first discovered synth and found my way here to Euroland I didn't even know video was a thing. Before I even bought my first modules I wanted to play with video synth even more than make music, but three years into the hobby and I finally get my first love: LZX Visual Cortex.

It's a little intimidating because there is a lot more I feel to learn here in terms of understanding scan line rates and video types, genlock etc that I can say but don't understand. The reason I'm here now typing this is just because I'm seeking some encouragement and perhaps some good links to dive into here or elsewhere on the internets.

One specific question, is there anything that BSO or LZX are making now that can't replicate what the legacy gear could do. Most of the stuff I wanted when I was first interested is no longer available and I just want to know if I'm missing out.

Many thanks for reading. I hope you are having a great day.

Love and peace,
CB
nerdware
[long boring answer deleted]
nerdware
[comment on long boring answer deleted]
nerdware
For some perspective, take a look at the forthcoming Orion series of modules. At least three of them promise to be real game changers. So I wouldn't worry about what you might be missing. I suggest you think instead of the wonderful new possibilities. FWIW, I missed a legacy module by one day - someone else beat me to the last one - but I usually only miss it when I watch an old video howto or read an old thread in this subforum. I can't create their patch, so I have to think about how to do something similar using what I do have. Even when I fail, I always learn something.
Joe.
Have you used any of the castle series yet? Are they a good replacement for the original logic and flipflops?

I'd really like to start up video this year aswell, but I'm not sure if I should go DIY or hunt original series modules on the BST.
Chickenbone
nerdware thanks for the response. I can only imagine what could have been two posts of unwanted reply hihi . I'm going to certainly have some fun with what I can get my hands on. I haven't seen any Orion modules yet but I will shortly.

I really like diy, so which cadet modules can I not live without right off the bat?
nerdware
Simply too much detail about which legacy modules I've sold and others I've kept, and why. Very little of it really answered your question, so I cut it. The Orion post said all I needed to. d'oh!

I can't comment on the Cadet and Castle modules. I can't build any of them.
Dirty_Bill
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Have you used any of the castle series yet? Are they a good replacement for the original logic and flipflops?

I'd really like to start up video this year aswell, but I'm not sure if I should go DIY or hunt original series modules on the BST.

I've got the set of Castle's on the workbench now. Similar functionality to the original logic modules (Logic/Divisions/FlipFlops) but not a direct replacement. More videos using these modules should be surfacing soon.

As far as DIY vs. Original modules - you'll be up and running with DIY sooner, provided you're handy with a soldering iron.
Chickenbone
Dirty_Bill wrote:
LoFi Junglist wrote:

I've got the set of Castle's on the workbench now. Similar functionality to the original logic modules (Logic/Divisions/FlipFlops) but not a direct replacement. More videos using these modules should be surfacing soon.

As far as DIY vs. Original modules - you'll be up and running with DIY sooner, provided you're handy with a soldering iron.

I'm not so bad at soldering and I've just started to dipmy toes into SMD diy. I might just have to buy the whole lot of them and get myself a few BOM's.

I just got my hands on staircase and bridge and they are super fun. I still have to get my head around how it all works,but it shouldn't be too difficult. I've got all of this plus my Ham license exam plus a bunch of SMD I'm really taking my time on plus a 12hr/day 6 day per week job that I'm slaving away at so it's a little slow going, but goddamn when I plugged it in for the first time I was living the dream Rockin' Banana!

Here's a photo of a basic visual I managed to get:

Cheers guys!
nerdware
Oh, yeah! Very tasty.
wednesdayayay
the castle series will be something I'd like to pick up eventually but I'll for sure have to get someone to build them for me
Dirty_Bill
wednesdayayay wrote:
the castle series will be something I'd like to pick up eventually but I'll for sure have to get someone to build them for me

Philip is going a few discounted sets built...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1