MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clock Sync between Ableton/ES-8/FH-1/DIGITAKT
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Clock Sync between Ableton/ES-8/FH-1/DIGITAKT
davidjez
So I have a modular system with an ES-8, FH-1, Digitakt, and running Ableton. I'm wondering the best way to sync everything together seamlessly with Ableton as the master clock.

Currently, I can generate a clock signal from CV toolkit that is "Linked" to Ableton. I use the clock out on the ES-8 to clock the FH-1 which in turn clocks the Digitakt. It kind of works but it's not perfect.

Is there a more elegant way to do this?

Dave
os
Add an ES-5 to the ES-8 and send a MIDI clock directly out of that.
davidjez
Thank-you!

I'm pretty new to this stuff. I assume if I got an es-5 I'd need Silent Way to generate the midi clock out or does it happen automatically?

What's the improvement with your approach compared to using the gate output of CV-Toolkit and sending the pulses out from the ES-8?
os
Yes you'd use Silent Way.

Using this approach you've got MIDI being generated sample-accurately along with your audio.

Your way you have the possibly wobble in Ableton Link (if I understand you correctly) plus the response of the FH-1. The FH-1 is good (it's embedded hardware rather than a huge computer OS) but I make no claim for it being sample-accurate.
davidjez
Thanks! I'll grab an ES-5.

In terms of best sync option with Digitakt. Would I just run the ES-5 midi clock to the X-input on the FH-1? This would then send a clock to the Digitakt via USB.

This might be a dumb question, but is there a benefit to using an ESX-8MD to send the midi clock from ES-5 directly via DIN to the Digitakt midi in?

Cheers!
os
That's what I was meaning. Don't use the FH-1 - send the MIDI directly from the ES-5.

You can use the ESX-8MD or the MIDI adaptor cables (cheaper but not as certain to work).
davidjez
Thanks. You have all my money now... wink
davidjez
Deleted
davidjez
Deleted
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1