MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

My Draft Budget Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author My Draft Budget Eurorack
GUITARPLAYIGSURFER
Hi guys

I don't currently have a eurorack system and I was wondering how good of a start this would be. I am on a pretty tight budget but would rather save up for a month or 2 longer and get a better setup. What do you guys think of this 84HP starter that I would build upon as and when I could afford it. I know a fair bit but have a lot to learn about which ear is best. I am totally open to suggestions for additions and replacements. But I a trying to keep it under 1300 euros.

Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
Mikro93
Hey,

I'm sort of a newbie around here too, but I've got a few questions for you:

- What do you want to do with your modular rig?
- Do you have an external sequencer or keyboard?
- I see one VCO and four VCAs: what for?
- If you're on a budget, can you consider going second hand, or DIY? You could save a substantial amount smile

Also, if I was in your position, I would consider something else than the Quad LFO, given that Maths can do some LFO. But it depends very much on the answer to question 1 smile

Hope that helps!
rMelvin
I think the Disting MK4 was a great move for me, as a noobie.
I slowly realized all the things I needed as modules using the Disting for it's many different uses.

Next on my list is either a quantizer or more LFOs or VCAs.
cptnal
There's certainly the basics there to start cutting your teeth. Depending on how you're going out to your speakers, you may not need the output module. Just remember to keep the volume low and work up. Also, perhaps consider stackable cables and splitters rather than mults, unless you have a specific reason for using one.

But yeah, you've got the classic subtractive signal chain, Maths to give you a taste of what modular joys lie ahead, and Clouds to make it all sound nice. thumbs up
GUITARPLAYIGSURFER
Mikro93 wrote:
Hey,

I'm sort of a newbie around here too, but I've got a few questions for you:

- What do you want to do with your modular rig?
- Do you have an external sequencer or keyboard?
- I see one VCO and four VCAs: what for?
- If you're on a budget, can you consider going second hand, or DIY? You could save a substantial amount smile

Also, if I was in your position, I would consider something else than the Quad LFO, given that Maths can do some LFO. But it depends very much on the answer to question 1 smile

Hope that helps!

So I have a car fetched dream that I understand will take years to save up for. However I one day would like a multi track system that would be able to produce an entire song on it. One like Colin Benders rig. I would also like to have an external input for a guitar and then a few other synth inputs. At th moment I would like something mainly melodic but I with a little room for experimentation of ambient and crazy sound generation.

alanza
Looks fine. You'll need to sequence it with a Beatstep (Pro) or an SQ-1 or something, but you have plenty to whet your teeth on.

Also, I think 4 VCAs is great—having more will suit you well when you're out to really mangle some sound.
presidentofvice
You might think about Batumi rather than the Doepfer LFO. It is a bit more expensive, but the way the LFOs can interact with each other is a lot of fun. And it saves you 4HP.

Also, I second the idea of the Disting. The menu diving is no fun, but it's a good way to learn about functions you may have never considered. Later you can buy dedicated modules for the things you like.
cptnal
Also worth thinking about is the fact that a lot of wigglers achieve great stuff with very small setups. And the discipline of working within size constraints (or even just how much gear you've accumulated this far) can help you focus and get the best out your modules. This is fun!
CaneMan
presidentofvice wrote:
You might think about Batumi rather than the Doepfer LFO. It is a bit more expensive, but the way the LFOs can interact with each other is a lot of fun. And it saves you 4HP.

Also, I second the idea of the Disting. The menu diving is no fun, but it's a good way to learn about functions you may have never considered. Later you can buy dedicated modules for the things you like.

I have the Doepfer Quad LFO. Bought it used from a friend, and it's a solid budget option. I could give you all kinds of recommendations (Disting is my money saving multi-tool), but what you have looks well focused with enough crazy to keep you going for a while.

Also seconding what cptnal said about leaving out the passive multiple. Stackables and splitters are so much more easy to work with.
Summa
Stay on budget but leave some empty space and skip the cheap one trick (or too basic) modules. I'd swap out that quad lfo for a Batumi in an instant, never understood modules you can't cv.

Clouds is a fun module but I got bored by the sound of it pretty quick, it does have a lot of other firmwares worth checking out. Oh it's also available in a smaller micro version.

I'd slap in a mixer and at least another vco so you can do FM.

But as always, just start off with something small and you'll learn by your mistakes, we all have.
blacklight
Summa wrote:
Stay on budget but leave some empty space and skip the cheap one trick (or too basic) modules. I'd swap out that quad lfo for a Batumi in an instant, never understood modules you can't cv.

Clouds is a fun module but I got bored by the sound of it pretty quick, it does have a lot of other firmwares worth checking out. Oh it's also available in a smaller micro version.

I'd slap in a mixer and at least another vco so you can do FM.

But as always, just start off with something small and you'll learn by your mistakes, we all have.

^^^ this

Batumi would be an excellent choiche, the clouds does get boing after a bit (maybe Qu-Bit Nebulae v2 is more your jam), an alternative could be the GrandPa by Bastl

Four VCAs is a good idea.

Are you planning on using the modular as an effects box or more of a generative thing?
dysonant
Agreed with a bunch of the comments above. This config exceeds your budget by about 260 Euros. Also, you need to keep in mind a case and power supply will cost you, plus cables.

It is primarily the same as what you have, however, will offer way more versatility. You can explore both additive and subtractive styles. Two VCOs will offer FM and duophony. Plus you can do things like modulate Ripples with one VCO.

The mixer is awesome, you can use jumper settings on the back to set each channel differently. DivKid has a pretty good video on it. I personally set two channels for hi gain and two channels for inversion.

What is a modular system with an LPG? IF you are going to go for two VCOs and FM them using an LPG will get you into buchla territory. The LxD gives you two, with a different slope on each.

The only thing you are really missing here is a bit of random, but that can be achieved with some creative Batumi or Maths patching and using the mixer to mix CV.

Had I known what I know now, this system would be a killer starter system with a huge amount of power and flexibility.

I will leave the modular grid link up for a few days so you can check out the modules, but I will likely delete soon https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/623316
cptnal
dysonant wrote:
Agreed with a bunch of the comments above. This config exceeds your budget by about 260 Euros. Also, you need to keep in mind a case and power supply will cost you, plus cables.

It is primarily the same as what you have, however, will offer way more versatility. You can explore both additive and subtractive styles. Two VCOs will offer FM and duophony. Plus you can do things like modulate Ripples with one VCO.

The mixer is awesome, you can use jumper settings on the back to set each channel differently. DivKid has a pretty good video on it. I personally set two channels for hi gain and two channels for inversion.

What is a modular system with an LPG? IF you are going to go for two VCOs and FM them using an LPG will get you into buchla territory. The LxD gives you two, with a different slope on each.

The only thing you are really missing here is a bit of random, but that can be achieved with some creative Batumi or Maths patching and using the mixer to mix CV.

Had I known what I know now, this system would be a killer starter system with a huge amount of power and flexibility.

I will leave the modular grid link up for a few days so you can check out the modules, but I will likely delete soon https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/623316

As a side note, I believe the Expert firmware for Batumi would give you "true" random, although I've never tried it myself.

And the cables! I did a quick calculation recently and worked out I have around £250 worth of cables. That's for 416hp though, you'll get away with less. thumbs up
dysonant
GUITARPLAYIGSURFER wrote:

So I have a car fetched dream that I understand will take years to save up for. However I one day would like a multi track system that would be able to produce an entire song on it. One like Colin Benders rig. I would also like to have an external input for a guitar and then a few other synth inputs. At th moment I would like something mainly melodic but I with a little room for experimentation of ambient and crazy sound generation.

The Colin Bender's rig far exceeds what is necessary to build complete tracks. I have been working on this very idea for a few years for my live performance rig. 12u is more than enough to get you there. Take a look at my performance system here https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/280031

If I lay this out in traditional song terms, this system can easily simultaneously supply:
- Bass line
- Melody
- Pad
- Kick
- Snare
- Hats
- Samples
- Weird gurgling, bubbly sound effects

Additionally it is set up for post processing that includes:
- Reverb
- Delay
- Distortion
- Compression
- Performance filtering (DJ style hi or low pass)
- Mixing
- Mutes

Lastly, it can all be sequenced so I can switch sequences live, alter them or even chain patterns.

Colin Benders is certainly a very skilled and talented musician, but his system is total overkill for most people and certainly not something one would need to aspire to accomplish fully realized track.
dysonant wrote:

to the op... what this guy said ^^^^
evileye0702
Quote:

This is my recommendation as well. The different modes on the Batumi will give you a lot more options than that Doepfer.

Since you are starting with an analog VCO you may want to go with a different filter than the Ripples. There are some really nice Doepfer filters than can even save you a few bucks while you are at it.[/quote]
Chartreuse-J
Here is my .2 cents if it is even worth that..

1. Erase your entire rack on modular grid.

2. Look for smallest HP possible.

3. Build a basic voice (Oscillator, Filter, VCA, Envelope Generator, Sequencer) Then STOP don't buy anymore!

4. Learn Synthesis, don't get caught up in brand names or certain modules, buy what you like.
dysonant
Chartreuse-J wrote:

3. Build a basic voice (Oscillator, Filter, VCA, Envelope Generator, Sequencer) Then STOP don't buy anymore!

4. Learn Synthesis, don't get caught up in brand names or certain modules, buy what you like.

Following that advice the OP may as well just buy a Minibrute 2s. Frankly, that is not a bad option and could serve well as an entry to eurorack. It is also way way cheaper. Though the setup the OP posted was pretty simple and small and with a couple of minor modifications could be extremely powerful.

Also, I completely disagree with your "smallest hp possible" statement. That would be a an all 2hp voice, which would be a nightmare to use. It would be all cramped and difficult to patch and twiddle.
alanza
fwiw, starting with a semi modular like the Minibrute 2S, 0-Coast or an MS-20 Mini would actually let you buy modules more slowly, since something like Maths actually can still be useful even as your only module in that context. Since I can only afford a little more than one module per quarter, going that route (by accident) has been really nice.

I suppose the same could be said for something racked like an Atlantis or a Mother 32 / DFAM or whatever
blacklight
Chartreuse-J wrote:

Or Reaktor Blocks / VCV Rack (it's free!) so he can actually try to do some patches, you can get an excellent grasp on synthesis with software
npseaver
alanza wrote:
fwiw, starting with a semi modular like the Minibrute 2S, 0-Coast or an MS-20 Mini would actually let you buy modules more slowly, since something like Maths actually can still be useful even as your only module in that context. Since I can only afford a little more than one module per quarter, going that route (by accident) has been really nice.

I suppose the same could be said for something racked like an Atlantis or a Mother 32 / DFAM or whatever

Going one module at a time not only stops you from buying shit it turns out you don't need (or can't really use with what you already have), it also forces you to actually learn the modules you've got! Highly recommend. And if you're new to modular, getting an oscilloscope module is worth it, even if it doesn't help you make sounds, because then you can actually see what you're doing—just tell yourself you can sell it later.
XAXAU
I’d do this:

Output/headphone modules are a waste of money and space IMO.

So are passive mults. I’m sure you can find colorful splitters for a few bucks!

Parasites OS on Warps & Clouds!

You could ditch the Warps and STO’s and go straight for the DPO but the Warps can do some cool stuff.

Also you could get a uClouds instead of the standard one!
AndrewSouthworth
I'd ditch the Clouds and replace it with a uClouds since you're tight on space. The uClouds is about the same price (or cheaper considering the Clouds are kind of expensive on the used market now), and its half the space. Its built by some guy in the UK - you email him about it and he sends you a PayPal link to buy it, then a week or so later after building he ships it to you. Seemed sketchy at first, but I received it in perfect working order!

What I did, and in hindsight I think was a great idea, was I first purchased a Mother-32. Its stand alone so you can start tweaking immediately, and learn the ropes. Then once you start getting modules you will already have a VCF, a VCO, an EG, a VCA, a MULT, an LFO, a MIDI-CV converter, a Sequencer, and a noise source. I think the Make Noise 0-Coast would probably provide similar advantages.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1