MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Are there any motion/velocity based touch controllers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Are there any motion/velocity based touch controllers?
Buttons ARE toys
I'm not really sure what that would be called, but I don't mean typical velocity sensitivity.

Rather, a controller that works the way a violin bow does--only making sound when you move it across a string, and the speed of that motion can change the quality of the sound. I'm imagining something like a ribbon controller, but instead of sending a signal as soon as it's touched, you would have to move your finger across it to generate a signal, and the amplitude of that signal would be based on the speed at which you move.

It would be great for replicating certain dynamics of bowed instruments. Does anything like this exist? I have been trying to find out but I don't even know what to call it so my search has not gone well.
authorless
I don't know of one, but you could patch something up with an analog shift register (or two sample and holds and a trigger delay), a min/max, and an inverting mixer.

Whatever voltage you are wanting to measure would go into the ASR, two outputs would go into the min/max, max would go into the mixer at full level, min would go into the mixer at full lever, but inverted. In other words, you are subtracting the smaller of the two voltages from the larger giving you a voltage proportional to rate of change. You would have to mess with the clock rate feeding the ASR to get it suited to your playing style. You also might want to smooth the output voltages with a slew. You may also want to boost the output voltages. Faster clocks would make you able to track faster changing voltages, but they'd give you smaller output voltages, slower clocks would give you less resolution to detect quickly changing values, but give you larger output voltages.
Buttons ARE toys
authorless wrote:
I don't know of one, but you could patch something up with an analog shift register (or two sample and holds and a trigger delay), a min/max, and an inverting mixer.

Whatever voltage you are wanting to measure would go into the ASR, two outputs would go into the min/max, max would go into the mixer at full level, min would go into the mixer at full lever, but inverted. In other words, you are subtracting the smaller of the two voltages from the larger giving you a voltage proportional to rate of change. You would have to mess with the clock rate feeding the ASR to get it suited to your playing style. You also might want to smooth the output voltages with a slew. You may also want to boost the output voltages. Faster clocks would make you able to track faster changing voltages, but they'd give you smaller output voltages, slower clocks would give you less resolution to detect quickly changing values, but give you larger output voltages.

Wow that's brilliant. I don't have the proper modules to test it, but it seems like it would work. we're not worthy
Bachelard
authorless wrote:

Wow. we're not worthy

Sorry I don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion, but the above suggestion & description just blew my mind.
desolationjones
Or just get an A-198 ribbon controller! Pressure output to open a Vca and Bob's your uncle.
EPTC
desolationjones wrote:
Or just get an A-198 ribbon controller! Pressure output to open a Vca and Bob's your uncle.

Yep, a Walking Stick is the closest violin analog. It actually feels similar to a horsehair bow, even, when you use one.

http://psionicsoundworks.com/psionic/index.php?route=product/product&p roduct_id=50

Buttons ARE toys wrote:
I'm imagining something like a ribbon controller, but instead of sending a signal as soon as it's touched, you would have to move your finger across it to generate a signal, and the amplitude of that signal would be based on the speed at which you move.

Though seeing your description here, a theremin with CV might be more accurate of what you're describing. You could use the Gate, Pitch, and Volume output of an Etherwave Plus to achieve this with envelopes and gestures.
EPTC
Giving this some additional thought, the EMW Distance Recorder module might be a great thing in eurorack to try for this.

desolationjones
Oh i am bad at reading comprehension. A ribbon controller does do what you want if you pair it with something like a quantizer which can give a trigger on value change. Then you can use Maths to give a quick rise slow fall envelope every time you move position on the ribbon.

Or use a slope detector patch.
Buttons ARE toys
I finally got a chance to try this out a bit. I used a DC coupled delay instead of a shift register. It's not producing quite the results I expected. I do only get activity at the output of the patch when the input is a moving voltage, but it doesn't return to a 0 point when movement stops, so the delay must be slightly messing with the voltage level.

It's fun to mess with though. I'm just sending a manual offset into it, and you can get odd modulations that bend up one way and then turn back the other by sweeping the offset each way.
Buttons ARE toys
Revisited this patch this morning and got it working this time! The D0 was still new to me back when I tried it the first time and I didn't realize how strong a signal could come from not having the modulation inputs zeroed out, so that's what was causing the signal to not drop all the way to 0.

Made a quick video. The effect is really nice, very natural sounding.

BlinkyLights
That sounds great. Nicely done.
Buttons ARE toys
Now I just wish someone could put this behind a single panel. It'd be great to have a module that does this and has a touch controller with controls for the ASR clock rate and output slew. Maybe with an external input as well so you can use it to track the velocity of any other signals.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1