MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Built my first euro. 18HP left.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Built my first euro. 18HP left.
Hale
Hey guys,

Recently I ordered my first few modules after months of lurking, reading and messing around in VCV, reactor, etc. And I'm loving what I've put together so far! I'm quite amazed how well the modules I have chosen work together and what I can make with them, even though it's only a 3U 104HP.

Now, I deliberately left some space in the rack to fill up later and not over complicate things at the start.

So my question to you guys: What would you fill up this rack with and why? I have some ideas of where I want to go but I'm interested in other opinions, discovering modules I don't know of (I'm sure there are a whole lot), etc.
The only 'rule' is that it has to fit in 18HP.

I'm really interested in hearing why you'd choose the modules you chose to accompany the ones I already have.

Thanks in advance!

Sidenote: Maths is really as awesome as everyone made it out to be. 10/10

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/611880
JohnLRice
Not everybody is into sequencers but I sure am! w00t hihi So, I'd put some sequencing modules in there . . . actually, just the Copper Traces SEEK sequencer would be a great fit for your system since it is a nice size (12 hp) and VERY complete feature wise. Check it out:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/copper-traces-seek
Hale
JohnLRice wrote:
Not everybody is into sequencers but I sure am! w00t hihi So, I'd put some sequencing modules in there . . . actually, just the Copper Traces SEEK sequencer would be a great fit for your system since it is a nice size (12 hp) and VERY complete feature wise. Check it out:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/copper-traces-seek

Thanks for the reply! I've been looking into sequencers for a bit. But for the moment I'm sequencing with the Arturia Keystep and I quite like the workflow. Given all that, would I benefit from having a sequencer module in the rack?
alanza
If you have a Keystep and you like it the main use for sequencers would probably be to sequence modulation rather than pitch, which might or might not appeal to you.
hinterlands303
I would want an analog noise source (for random, percussion, and adding grit to your patches), sample and hold (to pair with the noise and for creating stepped modulation in general), an adsr (since you're using the keystep an adsr would come in handy), and possibly some kind of utility sequencer for modulation (to sequence envelope length for instance - Xaoc Tirana comes to mind).

You should be able to get that all in 18hp especially since there are several 4hp noise/s&h combos out there.
aaronweits
Clouds is literally 18HP, but judging from the redesign of Braids > Plaits, if Olivier is making a new granular processor, it could be smaller.

that said -- other suggestions:

Pamela's NEW Workout for clock and extra modulation (random pitches into Disting's quantizer could be fruitful / free up your Keystep to do something else)

Chronoblob, or other echo/delay source could add some depth
grep
Maybe a Turing Machine and a dedicated quantizer?
cptnal
I'd ask what you're using the Disting for. If you find you're using it for the same thing over and over, buy a module that does just that. Then use the Disting for something else and repeat the process. thumbs up
Hale
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm guessing something like pam's new workout and a quantizer looks like a nice option to keep in mind.

cptnal wrote:
I'd ask what you're using the Disting for. If you find you're using it for the same thing over and over, buy a module that does just that. Then use the Disting for something else and repeat the process. thumbs up

Great advice. Currently I'm using it for delay & tape delay a lot to give some dimension to my sound so I guess getting a dedicated delay module would make sense indeed.

Thanks!
cptnal
Hale wrote:
Great advice. Currently I'm using it for delay & tape delay a lot to give some dimension to my sound so I guess getting a dedicated delay module would make sense indeed.

Thanks!

In that case I can recommend Chronoblob, which is where I headed for my delay requirements after Disting. I'd had my eye on the DLD for long enough, but the Blob packs a lot of fun into 10hp.
Hale
cptnal wrote:

In that case I can recommend Chronoblob, which is where I headed for my delay requirements after Disting. I'd had my eye on the DLD for long enough, but the Blob packs a lot of fun into 10hp.

Looks like a fun module indeed. And I'd still be able to fit a pamela's new workout! (or a micro clouds)
williamjturkel
If you are OK with Mangrove and Three Sisters, you might check out Cold Mac. It doesn’t reveal all of its cool uses right away, but it can add an incredible number of new possibilities to a handful of modules.
WDMN
Have you considered the
Tapographic Delay by Matthias Puech/4ms? Exactly 18HP.
StateAzure
Can't go wrong with a uClouds IMO, and still have room for a uO_C if you decide you do want a sequencer/quantizer (it does a lot more besides). If not, as you say PNW would be an awesome addition there. For the last 2hp, maybe look at the 2hp brand, they have some great little modules!
nectarios
+1 on uO+C and uClouds. It will massively multiply what can be done with this rig as a full blown system.
Still 2hp to add something. I would throw in there a Meng Qi DPLPG, personally.
Hale
williamjturkel wrote:
If you are OK with Mangrove and Three Sisters, you might check out Cold Mac. It doesn’t reveal all of its cool uses right away, but it can add an incredible number of new possibilities to a handful of modules.

I'm loving those two! so many cool sounds coming out of the Mangrove. I'm gonna hold out on cold mac untill I get a second row though. I'd like to try some other modules first. smile

WDMN wrote:
Have you considered the
Tapographic Delay by Matthias Puech/4ms? Exactly 18HP.

I have indeed. While it looks like an awesome module I think I'm gonna pass on it for now untill I have an extra row. (which will probably be soon, I'm addicted already. help) simply because it takes up a lot of room in such a small rack.

StateAzure wrote:
Can't go wrong with a uClouds IMO, and still have room for a uO_C if you decide you do want a sequencer/quantizer (it does a lot more besides). If not, as you say PNW would be an awesome addition there. For the last 2hp, maybe look at the 2hp brand, they have some great little modules!

nectarios wrote:
+1 on uO+C and uClouds. It will massively multiply what can be done with this rig as a full blown system.
Still 2hp to add something. I would throw in there a Meng Qi DPLPG, personally.

Those are two modules I'm very interested in. I've decided on getting uClouds a few days ago already, so I'll probably be ordering that very soon. Still doubting a little considering MI will be coming out with a new version in a few months it seems. But hey, I guess theres nothing wrong with having both. wink

Still not sure about the other module. O+C looks really interesting, but so does PNW and a thousand different other modules. Haha. i should probably look into what it can do a bit more as I don't understand it completely yet.

Meng Qi DPLPG looks great, ahould I have 2HP remaining it looks like a great option for sure!

Thanks for all the reaponses so far! Discovering some really cool modules thanks to you guys!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1