MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Max For Live Hardware host?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Max For Live Hardware host?
hageir
Yo,

is there anything out there that could be a standalone (small package) host for a m4l plugin?

This is one of the best sequencers I've found in the software realm (due to the user definable 'ticks' / PPQN).

ML-185
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=75

Just wondering if it's possible to have this standalone somehow?

Any ideas?

The Novation LaunchControl might be usable as a controller for it..

*edit*
a quick read about stuff related to this makes me realize that it might be best to write the program from scratch.. I’m a novice on python, or any programming (I know only HTML, CSS and JavaScript hehe) but this should be a moderately hard beginner’s project... Raspberry or Arduino host perhaps?
depth of field
Max For Live devices are meant and designed to be used with Ableton Live.
As far as I know the only other way to use a Max For Live device outside of Ableton Live is directly in Max/MSP.
hageir
depth of field wrote:
Max For Live devices are meant and designed to be used with Ableton Live.
As far as I know the only other way to use a Max For Live device outside of Ableton Live is directly in Max/MSP.

Yeah I guess the only way is to write this from scratch and make it into a software that a Raspberry Pi runs or something.. I’ll look into it.

Of course the best way would be building this analog (maybe with an IC/CPU) but seeing how cheap those little computers are, it would be $100 (Raspberry Pi mini thang + cheap controller) vs. $500 (Eurorack or similar, analog/physical; RYK 185 or Intellijel Metropolis)

Y’dig where I’m going with this?
hageir
ps. since this is OS X native, I wonder if’d be possible to port it to iOS?
That would be shiznit (simplest also)
http://www.defectiverecords.com/m185/index2.html
ersatzplanet
See if you can re-make it in Pure Data. Pure Data will run on MacOS, Linux, PC, and Raspberry Pi's easily and will also run on the first generation Nebulae, although the controls are not good for a sequencer. Pure Data and Max came from the same place and they almost always can make the same patches. PD is free of course.
hageir
ersatzplanet wrote:
See if you can re-make it in Pure Data. Pure Data will run on MacOS, Linux, PC, and Raspberry Pi's easily and will also run on the first generation Nebulae, although the controls are not good for a sequencer. Pure Data and Max came from the same place and they almost always can make the same patches. PD is free of course.

Hey James,
thanks for that man, Very C•O•O•L!
I’m reading on it now and will pursue this in the weekend smile
astrodislocate
Are you looking to have this be sequence CV or MIDI? I'm not too knowledgeable about hardware but I've heard that both Arduino and Raspberry Pi don't have very great DACs, so if it's CV you're after I think you might wanna look into the details of that.
hageir
astrodislocate wrote:
Are you looking to have this be sequence CV or MIDI? I'm not too knowledgeable about hardware but I've heard that both Arduino and Raspberry Pi don't have very great DACs, so if it's CV you're after I think you might wanna look into the details of that.

I was mainly thinking MIDI,
now I have an idea; using Duet for mac (ipad/iphone external monitor software) I could use an iPhone or iPad mini connected to my mac as a touch-screen mini monitor and have only the ML185 sequencer on that (then I'd route the MIDI from the DAW from my mac)

haha

Launchcontrol XL looks like it would do the job (I'm a designer and I could make a nice template/overlay for it +mapping)
also the Akai MIDIMix has similar specs
what gives?
astrodislocate wrote:

The only personal experience I have is the DAC of ADDAC’s VCC, and it’s working great. Don’t remember what type of processor it’s using though...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1