MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Noob DAW recording audio query
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Noob DAW recording audio query
tassie tiger
Hi all,

Would be grateful for any advice on recording VCV rack audio within my DAW.

I'm using Studio One and can successfully record audio via my M-Audio/Avid Fast Track Ultra USB Audio interface when the Master Audio output of my hardware synth is plugged into one of the M-Audio/Avid instrument inputs.

However, I have started to use VCV rack and am having a brain-fart in terms of recording its audio output to the DAW.
I can set the VCV Audio Driver to ASIO, and the Audio Device to M-Audio/Avid.
I have connected my laptop which is running VCV to the M-Audio/Avid interface via USB cable, and can monitor the audio output OK.
I have configured Studio One to have an audio device of the M-Audio/Avid, but when I set up a new audio track I cannot manage to monitor or record the audio. Do I need to take the audio from the laptop 3.5mm jack and plug it into one of the M-Audio/Avid instrument inputs? or is there a better way?

Sorry for being a bit of a dummy!
J
smetak
Kind of new at this, but have more or less the same set up (M Audio Fast Track) - quite interested in this topic - was going to ask the same question on the VCV FB page - there are a few posts related to recording VCV (generally related to Audacity).

First, why use an Asio driver? I use the M-Audio driver, which works perfectly.

On recording, here's my hint: I guess that you will need to connect the inputs that recognize your interface to record the VCV. In my case, I have the M-Audio lines 3 & 4 connected to the VCV input - and configuring this to your recording software. I believe that via this set up you will be able to record without too much of a problem. Or so I hope.

As said, haven't been using the VCV for long, but find it incredible, really love the thing - and, as you, am very anxious to record, which I still haven't. Hope to do so soon.
timc3
Asio generally has better performance, but maybe with M-Audio driver - you mean ASIO. Otherwise if you are on Windows (which I presume you are if you are talking ASIO) you are into generic Windows Audio territory which is generally awful, but CoreAudio on the Mac is good.

I generally run VCV on a separate machine, and record via my audio inputs. But if you are on the same machine you can use some audio routing software.
bedhed3000
timc3 wrote:
I generally run VCV on a separate machine, and record via my audio inputs. But if you are on the same machine you can use some audio routing software.

Yes, I think the question is whether you are trying to send audio to a separate machine. If not, and you are on a Mac, try Sound Flower (it's free if I'm not mistaken). If you are on Windows, take a look at this thread for alternatives: https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/comments/3geqse/soundflower_ alternative_on_windows/?st=jeu7dssq&sh=95e1f39e
smetak
From what I understand, he is attempting to record on the same machine that is running VCV. As said, I guess that the answer would be routing the connections within the program in connection with the recording software. This is easily done via an M-Audio interface and, say, something like Audacity.
tassie tiger
Hi all,

Thanks for your various contributions.

To answer some queries, and thereby hopefully focus further contributions:-
Yes, I'm trying to run VCV Rack and my DAW (Studio One) within the same machine - because I only have one!
I'm running a Windows 10 OS on a i7 8thGen laptop.
I naively thought that, because I could set up my M-Audio interface as the audio device within VCV Rack, magically I would be able to record the audio (which, BTW, I can monitor via headphones plugged into the M-Audio interface) straight into/within Studio One.
When using VCV Rack the M-Audio interface shows a 'Software Return' but, try as I might, I can't get Studio One to recognise this. Maybe I'm missing something within Studio One configuration. I certainly haven't been able to get M-Audio to treat the 'Software Return' as a 'Hardware Input'.

When I use my M-Audio interface as the audio device for my standalone hardware synth I have USB for the midi data and run an audio cable from the synth to the interface. The interface then shows a 'Hardware Input' and I have no trouble with Studio One recognising this.
Hence my query as to whether I need to run a physical audio cable from my laptop headphone jack to the M-Audio interface, however bonkers this sounds.

I will also explore the virtual audio cable thing suggested by bedhed3000, thanks.

Cheers again,
J
smetak
I have yet to record VCV, but will attempt to do so this weekend - hopefully, I can get it working and will drop a line on my configuration - don't have studio one, but do use an ancient M-Audio, somewhat similar to what you have. Shouldn't be too hard. Or so I hope.....
smetak
Attempted to use M-Audio with the latest version of Audacity - to no avail. Nothing. Not even a sound. Completely lost on setting up the configurations on recording VCV with my current interface.

Incidentally, there is a recording module via NYSTHI (actually, two of them) - I used the two-channel master recorder and simply connected it to the inputs of the Core Audio Interface and seems to have captured something, though have absolutely no idea where the WAV. files are stored.

If anyone can give us a hand here, this would be much appreciated.
tassie tiger
Update

Decided to explore the VB-Audio virtual audio cable thing and had some success.
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
    1. Set the VCV Rack audio interface to have Audio Driver = WASAPI, and Audio Device = CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable).
    2. Add a second VCV Rack audio interface to have Audio Driver = WASAPI, and Audio Device = laptop speakers (so I can monitor what's going on).
    3. Ignore completely the use of the M-Audio USB interface.
    4. Set the DAW audio device such that the recording input is CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable), ensuring that the sample rates are in alignment, e.g. 44.1kHz, not a mix of 44.1kHz in the laptop sound settings and 48kHz in the DAW.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix2/32707_vcv_rack_1.png
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix2/32707_studioone_audio_setup _1.jpg

Major problem is that I can't set an audio track in the DAW to start recording, then flick to VCV Rack to alter a value, e.g. a CV or parameter, without the DAW terminating its record mode. So its OK for recording audio that's burbling away in the background within VCV Rack, but not OK for recording something you want to interact with in VCV Rack.
If I had two machines then I might be able to solve this, but I don't ATM.

I will keep on trying new things though!

J
smetak
tassie tiger wrote:
Update

Decided to explore the VB-Audio virtual audio cable thing and had some success.
https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
    1. Set the VCV Rack audio interface to have Audio Driver = WASAPI, and Audio Device = CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable).
    2. Add a second VCV Rack audio interface to have Audio Driver = WASAPI, and Audio Device = laptop speakers (so I can monitor what's going on).
    3. Ignore completely the use of the M-Audio USB interface.
    4. Set the DAW audio device such that the recording input is CABLE Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable), ensuring that the sample rates are in alignment, e.g. 44.1kHz, not a mix of 44.1kHz in the laptop sound settings and 48kHz in the DAW.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix2/32707_vcv_rack_1.png
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/userpix2/32707_studioone_audio_setup _1.jpg

Major problem is that I can't set an audio track in the DAW to start recording, then flick to VCV Rack to alter a value, e.g. a CV or parameter, without the DAW terminating its record mode. So its OK for recording audio that's burbling away in the background within VCV Rack, but not OK for recording something you want to interact with in VCV Rack.
If I had two machines then I might be able to solve this, but I don't ATM.

I will keep on trying new things though!

J

Got some feedback from the FB VCV Forum - they suggested AB Audio, which you have installed, but also LoopMidi (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) - downloaded both but have yet to install them (will tomorrow and see how it goes).

The only way I got to recording the sound is directly via the Rack - through the NYSTHI recording modules - they record directly, creating WAV audio files, saved to a subfolder in the VCV directory. Besides this, still haven't had too much luck here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1