MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

0-Coast: I think I'm growing out of it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 0-Coast: I think I'm growing out of it
909one
I've been loving the 0-Coast for the past 5 moths or so, but there's one thing starting to bother me about it: the oscillator and the timbre of the wavefolding. I'm getting annoyed with the sound of it. The pure sound of the Triangle by itself is a little boring and the waveshaped side sounds a little too 'obvious' or something. I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds a little like a parked wah on a guitar, which I'm not really a fan of. I'm thinking of graduating, separating out the modules. I'm wondering if picking up a TipTop Folder, a VCO with more inherent character, and a Maths is going to be the way to go for more options. Are all wavefolders gonna get me that parked wah sound or is it dependent on the VCO? I've got an older Pittsburgh Synth Box module on the waveforms have so much character, so many more harmonics, its nuts. I'm thinking this is going to offer me much flexibility. Thoughts?
arthurdent
I have an O-Coast, had it for a little over a year now. I recently bought a Dixie II+/Rubicon/uFold combo. The sound with the Intellijel stuff is "different" in character than that of the O-Coast but I can't really say that it's better or worse. I think a lot of it is personal opinion/likes/dislikes. And with a separate oscillator you can get a wider variety of tones using different waveforms - you find out that some things just should not go through a wavefolder. Also, IMO it's a lot like what you'll read here about using other modulation sources - you have to "sneak up" on a tone to find something that you like.
lisa
Does it sound like a parked wah even if you modulate it?
wickfut
I bought one last week, played with it for a day or two and it'll probably never be touched again.
909one
lisa wrote:
Does it sound like a parked wah even if you modulate it?

Ha, maybe I should just say 'wah' in general, not just parked. The low end drops out a ton and even with mixing back the original signal it doesn't do it for me. I think I just don't dig the tone that much. Everything else on the 0-Coast I like though. I love the Contour and Function sections.
hinterlands303
In my experience you can get a lot of different sounds/timbres from the 0-coast. Wavefolders are a bit like filters though - they all have different characters - so if you don't like the timbre of the wavefolder then it might not be for you. The wavefolder in the 0-coast sounds pretty different from the doepfer a-137-1 which sounds really different from the Intellijel uFold which I'm sure sounds different from the Timbre section of the music easel (i've never gotten to play one).

Also, wavefolders work best with sine or triangle waveforms, which is why the 0-coast has the triangle as the main waveform. Just something to be aware of if you try to run a more "characterful" vco through a wavefolder.

Anyway, I LOVE the 0-Coast. I had to sell it for financial reasons and I could definitely see myself buying it back at some point.
909one
hinterlands303 wrote:
In my experience you can get a lot of different sounds/timbres from the 0-coast. Wavefolders are a bit like filters though - they all have different characters - so if you don't like the timbre of the wavefolder then it might not be for you. The wavefolder in the 0-coast sounds pretty different from the doepfer a-137-1 which sounds really different from the Intellijel uFold which I'm sure sounds different from the Timbre section of the music easel (i've never gotten to play one).

Also, wavefolders work best with sine or triangle waveforms, which is why the 0-coast has the triangle as the main waveform. Just something to be aware of if you try to run a more "characterful" vco through a wavefolder.

Anyway, I LOVE the 0-Coast. I had to sell it for financial reasons and I could definitely see myself buying it back at some point.

Cool this is what i was wondering, I don't know much about how a wavefolder works. But good to know they all have different tones. My knowledge was pretty limited to East Coast stuff before the 0-Coast. I'm going to explore some more wavefolders. I've got a Bubblesound VCO-b as well with Triangle and Sine output. I think I'd like the opportunity to be able to patch in different waveforms besides what is just on the 0-Coast.
starthief
909one wrote:
I've been loving the 0-Coast for the past 5 moths or so, but there's one thing starting to bother me about it: the oscillator and the timbre of the wavefolding. I'm getting annoyed with the sound of it.

I bought one when my modular was smaller, and grew out of it over the course of a year or so.

It was a nice intro to a style of synthesis and a few patching techniques, and it had its influence on me, and I used it pretty freqeuntly. But it was a stepping stone that I've left behind; overshadowed by the rest of my modular.

The wavefolder really was my least favorite of all I've tried, except maybe the one in Disting. (So that's Warps, E352/E370, uFold, Double Helix, Crossfold and Plaits ahead of it... as well as Aalto and Buchla Easel V in software. I would count Hertz Donut as well, but what it has is less of a folder and more of a mangler that is occasionally vaguely folder-ish.)
hinterlands303
909one wrote:
hinterlands303 wrote:

Cool this is what i was wondering, I don't know much about how a wavefolder works. But good to know they all have different tones. My knowledge was pretty limited to East Coast stuff before the 0-Coast. I'm going to explore some more wavefolders. I've got a Bubblesound VCO-b as well with Triangle and Sine output. I think I'd like the opportunity to be able to patch in different waveforms besides what is just on the 0-Coast.

Sounds like a plan! Also, getting a crossfader so you can fade between a folded signal and a saw or pulse wave can add for more variation. The 0-coast has this but only gives you the triangle or square to work with.
909one
starthief wrote:
909one wrote:
I've been loving the 0-Coast for the past 5 moths or so, but there's one thing starting to bother me about it: the oscillator and the timbre of the wavefolding. I'm getting annoyed with the sound of it.

I bought one when my modular was smaller, and grew out of it over the course of a year or so.

It was a nice intro to a style of synthesis and a few patching techniques, and it had its influence on me, and I used it pretty freqeuntly. But it was a stepping stone that I've left behind; overshadowed by the rest of my modular.

The wavefolder really was my least favorite of all I've tried, except maybe the one in Disting. (So that's Warps, E352/E370, uFold, Double Helix, Crossfold and Plaits ahead of it... as well as Aalto and Buchla Easel V in software. I would count Hertz Donut as well, but what it has is less of a folder and more of a mangler that is occasionally vaguely folder-ish.)

This is how I am feeling as well. I wasn't sure how much modular was going to stick, but it has really stuck and I've been more creative than I have in some time, and I finding limitations in these all-in-one pieces I bought to get into it. I think its time to move on. I need to watch some wavefolder demos to see what might be up my alley. I've never played an Easel either, but that's the sort of sound I like at least from demos I've heard.
nickgrys
Is there a way to use an external low pass filter withe 0-Coast? The 0-coast has the low pass gate, but no dedicated filter. So you can't tame it and remove harmonics. It might be different if the harmonics section could sweep from sine to triangle/square like the that of a complex oscillator. I haven't used the 0-coast, but just a thought.
cptnal
Not an 0-Coast user either, but generally a LPG can act as a filter by feeding the CV a DC offset. I think... hmmm.....

Works with the LxD anyway.
BenignToxicity
I actually get the "parked way" reference smile

I've racked my 0-Coast and do find, since I've expanded my system, that the "basic" voice is not entirely to my liking (for reasons already mentioned above). However, when I get a little disillusioned with it, I usually patch the Krell and start from that as a basis for exploration. I think what I'm saying is that if you just try and use it as a "simple synth voice" it can be a little... wanting... but once you start using it for what it can really do well, it shines. If anyone is looking for a simple voice to hang on to their midi (or whatever) keyboard, I think it soon loses its appeal, but stretch it and it comes into its own. I think this is inherent in the design philosophy
starthief
nickgrys wrote:
Is there a way to use an external low pass filter withe 0-Coast? The 0-coast has the low pass gate, but no dedicated filter. So you can't tame it and remove harmonics. It might be different if the harmonics section could sweep from sine to triangle/square like the that of a complex oscillator. I haven't used the 0-coast, but just a thought.

The Dynamics section (LPG) has an attenuator, so you can roll off more highs that way. It works well enough for the triangle, square and whatever one might get up to with the Slope section at audio rates, but it doesn't do much to help the tone of the internal wavefolder.

BenignToxicity wrote:
I think what I'm saying is that if you just try and use it as a "simple synth voice" it can be a little... wanting... but once you start using it for what it can really do well, it shines. If anyone is looking for a simple voice to hang on to their midi (or whatever) keyboard, I think it soon loses its appeal, but stretch it and it comes into its own. I think this is inherent in the design philosophy

This is another area where I learned a bit from patching the 0-Coast but have moved on -- both in terms of finding the range of what I enjoy, and the resources I have to create it.
lisa
This thread actually made me sit down with the 0-coast again for the first time in a while. It’s true that it’s a bit samey as a pure melodic voice but when one starts to send end off-triggers here and there it turns into a crazy machine. love
arthurdent
BenignToxicity wrote:

I think what I'm saying is that if you just try and use it as a "simple synth voice" it can be a little... wanting...

I think you will find that with any individual desktop synth box. I have an O-Coast and a Mother-32 (actually I have two Mother's). Either of them on their own are fun to play with and learn technique but they're lacking for the long haul. When you see people actually using them - for music, not just for demonstration purposes - they're generally using them with something else. An O-Coast with a sequencer, Multiple Mothers, a Mother with an O-Coast, maybe a small 3U x 84HP effects/modulation box, or maybe some pedal effects.
Brennanib
I definitely know what you mean but you can tell it's that sound that the o Coast does. Honestly I've gotten down to just using it for bass mostly keep it on the Triangle Wave for a pure nice waveform perfect for low end.

Had two of them at one point had a lot of fun with that
authorless
Yeah, I've always found the Make Noise stuff to have a Serge-y kind of sounds. Not particularly a fan of either.
Brennanib
BenignToxicity wrote:
I actually get the "parked way" reference smile

I've racked my 0-Coast and do find, since I've expanded my system, that the "basic" voice is not entirely to my liking (for reasons already mentioned above). However, when I get a little disillusioned with it, I usually patch the Krell and start from that as a basis for exploration. I think what I'm saying is that if you just try and use it as a "simple synth voice" it can be a little... wanting... but once you start using it for what it can really do well, it shines. If anyone is looking for a simple voice to hang on to their midi (or whatever) keyboard, I think it soon loses its appeal, but stretch it and it comes into its own. I think this is inherent in the design philosophy

This is the best way to approach and older module or something that your purchased in the past loving finding new love for gear and modules
InnnerSight
Try putting it away for a week or so and then see how you feel about it when you try it next. If you still dislike it maybe the sound is not for you - plenty of choice out there.

Also try multi-tracking it, that way you can add bottom end in quite easily, or even create chords.
franman69
0 Coast is an important and unique voice in my reasonably large system. I use it on most patches... great plucky stuff, bass sounds and more. I don't see out growing it as I love the MN sound. Also own a bunch of other MN stuff, but 0 Coast is unique in my opinion.
appliancide
Your best bet is to sell it in the BST section.

You are going to need a higher post count to do this. I suggest starting in the "post your tunes" section. Just one or two word responses to a bunch of threads will be fine. Something like "cool" or "nice tones!". Then move on to some gear demos. Here you can post some emoticons...Slayer badger, $75, and the bananas are all good options. Before you know it, you will be at 100 posts.

After you sell the 0 coast, start 4 or 5 threads complaining about how much the buyer resold it for on ebay. Then start a new thread for each module you are thinking about replacing the 0 coast with. DO NOT bump old threads about the same subject. That really annoys people.

Now it's music making time! SlayerBadger! Dead Banana
ookrsia
I still find my 0-coast very useful after over a year, but not as a voice source. It still has a nice collection of utility features:

-MIDI to CV/GATE converter (two separate voices if you want to use 0-coast’s own voice)
-Two envelope generators with some CV control and EOC trigger outputs.
-One VCA
-Attenuator/offset generator with led visualizer (and two voice mixer.)
-Tap tempo clock with sample & hold.
-Also, I’m not sure, but it might have a buffered mult output for the SUM section(on the left)
-Headphone output

And it doesn’t take rack space!

To replace all those feature would probably cost as much as a 0-coast.
Brennanib
ookrsia wrote:
I still find my 0-coast very useful after over a year, but not as a voice source. It still has a nice collection of utility features:

-MIDI to CV/GATE converter (two separate voices if you want to use 0-coast’s own voice)
-Two envelope generators with some CV control and EOC trigger outputs.
-One VCA
-Attenuator/offset generator with led visualizer (and two voice mixer.)
-Tap tempo clock with sample & hold.
-Also, I’m not sure, but it might have a buffered mult output for the SUM section(on the left)
-Headphone output

And it doesn’t take rack space!

To replace all those feature would probably cost as much as a 0-coast.

I've definitely thought this one through a couple times as well and you can always insert something into the balance circuit too which is really awesome for mixing oscillators and creating new timbers
ookrsia
Brennanib wrote:

I've definitely thought this one through a couple times as well and you can always insert something into the balance circuit too which is really awesome for mixing oscillators and creating new timbers

Yes.

The only downside to the balance control is that one of the voices has to be 0-coast. I personally do not find the 0-coast oscillator and wavefolder that satisfying soundwise.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2