MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing W/ (wslash) looper by Mannequins
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Introducing W/ (wslash) looper by Mannequins
Paranormal Patroler
Well this was unexpected!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/mannequins-w
https://www.whimsicalraps.com/products/wslash

HISTORY NAVIGATOR, CONNECTING PATCHSHAPES IN TEMPORAL ARRANGEMENT

W/ takes a nowness and returns it in a futurenow. Eight hours of audio sculpture to be recorded in and over and around. In fugues conversations fold, a fresh context for renewed identity.

Considered as a traditional tape system, W/'s sounds can be played forward and back / at fixed speeds / with continuous through-zero momentum. These playings-back are of voices recorded with IN, layered sound upon sounds. Passing moments are joined into repeating loops with a rhythmic switch.

Beyond the loop these timestamped cues become compositional signposts. Edit and audition; trigger and pitch- a sampler is revealed. THIS and THAT respond to the scene, controlling speed and cue-selection, recording states & tapehead manipulations.

A celebration of muscle-memory & cheat-code combos, W/ rewards persistence with persistence. Held up to an instrument, a hall-of-mirrors, multiplying in and on reflection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------

Does this work on CV also? hmmm.....
folpon
I love Mannequins, but I find myself sort of vaguely disappointed here. I don't see anything immediately that I couldn't do with my Morphagene or ER-301. Awaiting more perceptive wigglers than me to chime in...
moremagic
8 hours of recording time in 2 hp? wow, i couldnt tell whether or not its volatile from the complicated documentation
lisa
Not for me but another cool module from the coolest maker. thumbs up
xenus_dad
I could see this being a sound-on-sound looper, a weird delay, a source of weird modulation (you can slow sound down to 1.5% of recorder speed). It almost seems like two instruments, one that's intended to be about hands-on manipulation and something fairly different that is exposed by CV control.

I'm sold. I used my 'sorry you don't get Plaits after all' discount from Control smile
xenus_dad
Plus with 8 hours of record time, I could imagine it being really interesting 1-2 years down the line to flip back through old sections of the 'tape' and try to remember, how did I make that again? It doesn't seem terribly useful directly - this is not going to replace a 50GB sample library & DAW, or the organizational ability of something with an SD card on the front of it - so much as really interesting later on, like a journal that you kept as a teenager being rediscovered as you clear out some old junk from your attic.

Also, he's stated before that he deliberately keeps his manuals vague and unclear. I suspect people here will explore and collect information and share it, like the Cold Mac thread.
Trooper
Seems to be something not for permanently use, but just the little thing to refine my sound and to add some nice little effects. and i like the size. ordered.
folpon
Ok. The idea of the journal, plus the reminder that who ever really knows what a Mannequins module is really about before you get deep with it, plus the fact that it could be handy to have a 2hp module for filling holes in racks... I guess I'll give it a shot.
starthief
They caught me in a weak moment I guess... I'll give it a shot too.

I'm looking forward to some less, ah, "poetic" tutorials smile

This is 1/10 the size of Morphagene and half the cost, and probably has some clever tricks up its sleeve besides whatever else you can do with 8 hours (8 hours????) of "tape" -- it's a lot easier to swallow trying it in my rack.
ntkrw
Those black jacks look like stereo.
Crimesofthecrown
Beyond excited to acquire this at some point this year. It will bring my skiff to life.
cptnal
Looks like the manual is as wanky as the marketing blurb. seriously, i just don't get it
Reckon I could work it out though. Looks interesting...
anosou
Just bought one. Yoink! Guinness ftw!

I love the small footprint and the quick and dirty controls.
Doublecoolbossman
dope.
Dogma
like all hi stuff i think its coolness will show itself with use.....i mean cold mac? Now prob my favorite module...

anyone have nay idea on specs? Like resolution ect
richc90
I'm interested due to the general inspiration I get from Mannequins stuff, but would have much preferred it in a larger format panel. YMMV, as ever.

I'm not sure about this, but the 8 hours of recording time seems to be split over 6 "tapes". That would mean 80 mins per tape if my maths is correct.

Am I right in thinking that playback speed is non-continuous? I see you can get multiples and divisions (double speed, half speed) but there doesn't seem anything like the varispeed on the Genes...
CaneMan
Wish it had jacks for loop, play, and record. That would have made in an instant buy for me.
starthief
From the manual it seems like "this" is a record gate, at least sometimes. hmmm.....
infovore
Yeah, the jacks will do play/record depending on what it's currently doing. THIS and THAT change their behaviour depending on which mode it's in - PLAYback, NAV (not playing), or CUE. But the jacks also do other things; note that in CUE mode, one of them accepts *both* trigs and CV... and distinguishes between them.
taylor12k
very interesting... i don't think i've read a manual before which has both frustrated and fascinated me at the same time...

i hate when modules have hidden combo/cheat-sheet-needed controls... but the W/ seems like that's the whole point.... press shit and get happy acccidents...
mdoudoroff
Although folks will undoubtedly bend it to other purposes, I’m pretty sure the sort of stuff you hear on the demo video is precisely what W/ is designed to deliver.

The default sorts of sound applications are monome-ish.

The interface is a bit TEMPI-ish.

Quote:
I'm not sure about this, but the 8 hours of recording time seems to be split over 6 "tapes". That would mean 80 mins per tape if my maths is correct.

The manual references a “90 minute delay”, so it appears that you do work with 80-90 minute chunks of that 8 hour capacity.
Multi Grooves
Love their brushed alu finishes. Looks interesting. There is something very immediate about getting noises out it in a non planned, non committal way.
CaneMan
infovore wrote:
Yeah, the jacks will do play/record depending on what it's currently doing. THIS and THAT change their behaviour depending on which mode it's in - PLAYback, NAV (not playing), or CUE. But the jacks also do other things; note that in CUE mode, one of them accepts *both* trigs and CV... and distinguishes between them.

That might do. I prefer to record with my feet.
eyetomymoon
oh. very interested in how this distinguishes itself - whimsically ('general inspiration' referenced by @richc90 above) - from 'genes etc.
jwm
wait, its really 8 hours? i thought that was just goofball whimsical speak...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 1 of 16