MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a very cheap 32hp case with power
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Looking for a very cheap 32hp case with power
sutekina bipu-on
Is there anything cheaper than the doepfer mini a100 case? DIY is okay too, but its gotta have power...
CaneMan
You could just buy the power supply and build your own case.

If you're in the US, I've seen the A-100MNT on Analogue Haven for $75.

I've also seen the more powerful A-100SSB on Schneidersladen for €75 with VAT.

I'm ordering this USB Power Supply board from Modular Addict. When I added up the parts, the shipping ate up most of the savings for making just one. So I bought two for DIY module testing.
electricfence
If you buy a White Line module from Dreadbox, then they'll give you a DIY power supply and a cardboard case for free: https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/diy-cardboard-case/

Of course, you have to buy a module. My vote would be for Echo.
ersatzplanet
I made this with the smallest standard rails that Vector makes. It could be as small as you want by sawing the rails. All the other parts are bought already cut to your specifications from www.onlinemetals.com This one is only 2" deep but the angle aluminum top and bottom come in larger sizes.

sutekina bipu-on
ersatzplanet wrote:
I made this with the smallest standard rails that Vector makes. It could be as small as you want by sawing the rails. All the other parts are bought already cut to your specifications from www.onlinemetals.com This one is only 2" deep but the angle aluminum top and bottom come in larger sizes.

What did this cool case cost you? I live in a tiny apartment so i don't have a saw or really any space to do metal sawing in.
ersatzplanet
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
What did this cool case cost you? I live in a tiny apartment so i don't have a saw or really any space to do metal sawing in.

I actually don't remember. All the metal was cut to the sizes needed and the only thing you have to do is drill the holes to put the screws through to put it together. Oh, and have the screws and hardware too. The rails were the smallest Vector size which is the TS81 rails which are 8.12" long.

The rails screw into the right angle aluminum extrusions using blots slid into the Vector rail side channels. The aluminum pieces used are the 2" (A) x 2" (B) x 0.125" (C) 6063 T52 ANGLE ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1032&step=4&showunits=in ches&id=63&top_cat=60 ) cut to 8.12" ($3.75 each). If you want a deeper skiff than 2" then go for the 2" (A) x 3" (B) x 0.125" (C) 6063 T52 ANGLE for a 3" deep version. You can't get any deeper for a 3U skiff because the metal will run into each other in the back if larger than 2".

With these pieces there will be a slightly larger than a 1.25" gap in the back. You can leave this as is or have a piece of perforated aluminum sheet for that. I used 0.063" thick 3003 H14 Perforated Sheet Round Hole (0.125" holes - 0.1875" stagger) - ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=13494&step=4&id=1003&top _cat=60 ) and Bought a piece 3" x 8" ($2.88). When this pies is bolted to the back inside of the angle pieces, iy gets very rigid.

For the end panels I used 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock that was 1/2 wider than the right angle extrusion used. This was the 0.25" X 2.5" ALUMINUM 6061-T6511 EXTRUDED RECTANGLE ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=1146&step=4&showunits=in ches&id=997&top_cat=60 )and cut to 5.75" long ($3.22). This could easily be plexiglass (I have a few of those too), wood, or even the thick white plastic/nylon cutting boards Ikea sells (which look surprisingly good).

The handle was some old 5U rack handle I had lying around.

These cost are without the shipping, I just happen to live 5mins away from the OnlineMetals shop in Seattle.

These same pieces have been used with different dimensions to make a lot of skiffs, both 3U and 6U. They are easy to make and don't take much in tools mainly a drill, and a file (the edges are REALLY sharp when you first get them. You can easily cut yourself. They will need to be filed. Also the extrusion may have some shop marks on them, small dings etc. I like that industrial look myself.

Here are some of the others I have made -

CaneMan
electricfence wrote:
If you buy a White Line module from Dreadbox, then they'll give you a DIY power supply and a cardboard case for free: https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/diy-cardboard-case/

Of course, you have to buy a module. My vote would be for Echo.

I didn't even know Dreadbox did that. very frustrating
sutekina bipu-on
ersatzplanet
Thank you for the very informative write up!

i might have to start off with a cardboard box though lol Thanks for pointing that out! legend of the cardboard euro rack!
williamjturkel
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
I live in a tiny apartment so i don't have a saw or really any space to do metal sawing in.

You can work with aluminum in a small space with a couple of hand tools (hacksaw or razor saw, file, hand drill, some drill bits, a clamp or two). All you need is patience, and it is so quiet you won’t bother roomates or neighbours.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1