MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Monitoring position.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Monitoring position.
mousegarden
I'm obsessed with being in the centre of my speakers, I can't play properly if I'm not. But it becomes increasingly difficult to do this the more gear you get, my speakers would have to be so far apart now it would be ridiculous!
I compromise by having a sort of horshoe shape with tables on either side, headphones aern't an option, it's just not the same.
I was wondering how others have got around this problem, if at all.
decklyn
Generally manufacturers say your speakers should make an equilateral triangle with your head, with the tweeters at ear height (or pointed up or down toward your ears if not.) And pulled out from the walls and corners.

The "sweet spot" on different monitors differs quite a bit - the designs often attempt to make a larger sweet spot using shapes on the baffles etc.

Some tweeter designs like ribbon tweeters are highly directional so they tend to have a magical sweetspot but that's a little bit smaller in my personal experience. I love them though and there is no better experience than hanging out in that spot. I spend a lot of time sitting in the sweetspot of my Adam A7xs... It's the nicest place in the world to be. It sounds like the music is coming from directly infront of you instead of from speakers - if I close my eyes it's like I'm infront of a stage.
decklyn
see: http://www.newformresearch.com/index.php/planet-audio/expert-advice/sw eet-spot
mousegarden
decklyn wrote:
see: http://www.newformresearch.com/index.php/planet-audio/expert-advice/sw eet-spot

Thanks for the link.
The sweet spot isn't so important, it's just that effects are hard to hear if you move too far away from centre. I always use effects when I'm recording, I don't add them later, so it's important I can "play" the effect, things like delays can be very confusing if you can't hear them in precise stereo.
It's a massive compromise, as always, but ergonomics, speaker positioning, where to put "stuff" all have to be traded off against each other.
mentalu
You deff don't want to be too far off axis. Too far back or too close your room has a lot to do with how that plays out
calaveras
I compromise. I track with headphones if I have to play in time with an effect. Then I do the rest from speakers. If I can get away with it I like to blast through my JBLs kind of loud.
If its too quiet I'll overplay and fill up every single measure with too many notes.
mousegarden
calaveras wrote:
I compromise. I track with headphones if I have to play in time with an effect. Then I do the rest from speakers. If I can get away with it I like to blast through my JBLs kind of loud.
If its too quiet I'll overplay and fill up every single measure with too many notes.

I'm sure there's a definite physical phenomenon about the perception of certain effects when using headphones. I can't seem to hear vibrato as well as I can through speakers. And getting a decent perspective on stereo imaging I always difficult too.
XAXAU
I use Adam A7X’s and the sweet spot is pretty wide. That said I have a piece of tape on my table marking dead center. In my experience he distance from your speakers is more important than width between them since there is a sweet spot for distance as well!
mousegarden
XAXAU wrote:
I use Adam A7X’s and the sweet spot is pretty wide. That said I have a piece of tape on my table marking dead center. In my experience he distance from your speakers is more important than width between them since there is a sweet spot for distance as well!

When we were recording classical music we were so obsessed with stereo imaging that some people were almost on the verge of calling the men in white coats!
But with my own music and electronics, I don't give a damn, in fact, I prefer a lot of it in mono.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1