MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Unknown synth on eBay
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Unknown synth on eBay
Astrolabe23

Anyone seen something like this before? If I hadn't just paid bills, I would buy this just to check it out!
Kent
Wow! Now I know that everything will be alright in the world.

something wonderful

Besides the one photo of the rat’s nest, it actually looks to be rather well designed. I love the speakers/case-lid and the screw fixtures.
TheDegenerateElite
Holy crap.

Imagine figuring out how that all works!

And yesterday I was complaining about all the wiring in an old String n' Things I'm fixing.
ranix
it looks very very well designed! This wasn't done by someone who didn't know what he was doing

flts
Holy f... someone buy this before I look at it long enough that I just can't refuse pressing Buy It Now anymore.
unrecordings
Wow - the 'keys' are the copper wafers from an old transformer

Well somebody bought it - I wonder who
It's a good job I was asleep during this thread
flts
unrecordings wrote:
Well somebody bought it - I wonder who

Phew, thank you whoever you are - you just saved me some money.
pelican
Definitely cool
Eric the Red
Damn!! I hope whoever bought it is on this forum, would love to know more about this monster.
cretaceousear
Wow - should be worth more than that for steampunk aesthetic if nothing else. Someone put a lot of love into that.
luchog
Damn, I wish I had seen this yesterday, I would have jumped on it. Very cool looking, and i'm ridiculously curious to hear how it sounds. Oh well, some things just have to remain a mystery.
epiphanius
Looks like it's specifically designed for quad output - I heard Suzanne Cianni perform in quad recently, it changed my worldview a bit.
noddyspuncture
Could maybe do with some 'labelling' on the front panel though...!?

eek!
Reese P. Dubin
somebody will notice this in the background of a raymond scott photo by the end of the month

amazing thing Dead Banana Dead Banana
Astrolabe23
When I found this on eBay around midnight last night, I decided that I did not need another project, so I posted it here. I thought I would share the pics because it looked super interesting and would be gone quickly at that price, never to be seen again. After making my post, I kept staring at the pictures thinking you really should get it. After an hour or so of mental contemplation, I submitted an offer that was not instantly accepted ( see note below). I figured I would just let it ride and the universe would decide if it was to be. A few hours passed and no response ... I went to bed. To my surprise, I woke up this morning finding my offer accepted and waiting for payment. I paid, and it's on it's way. Total price $251.91 including shipping. I feel comfortable with that investment even if it turns out to be worth nothing more than a conversation piece for the studio. I think it will look great on top of the piano. Hopefully, it can be brought to life and we will see what it can do. I'm sure I will need some help from the DIY community here. Feel free to speculate about it from the pictures so far. I really have no idea quite what to think about it yet. There are labels on some of the cards and It does appear to have a four speaker set up so maybe it's quadraphonic as someone mentioned. Im stoked and can't wait to see it in person. I will post some more pics when it arrives.

NOTE: A note of advice about eBay "make offer". When a seller chooses to use the make offer on their listing they have the option to set it up to automatically accept offers above a set price. If this is the case, when you submit an offer at or above their "secret" lowest price, it will be automatically accepted and the item is yours. If your offer is lower or they have not set it up to be automatic, you will have to wait for them to get the message and respond to your offer. (During which time someone else could buy it). Several times I have purchased an item for 15 or 20 percent lower with an automatically accepted offer, even though it was already a good deal and I would have paid the full asking price. Never hurts to submit an offer.
ranix
See how much info you can squeeze out of the seller like where it came from geographically and how he got it! Maybe we can identify who made it or roughly what its original purpose was. This thing looks really hard core to me, I wouldn't be surprised if its maker turns out to be some synth or computing badass
Michael O.
Is it certainly a synthesizer? The touchplate controller looking bit would lead me to believe so, but the number of transformers/inductors/chokes is very atypical, especially in a solid state design. It almost looks like some sort of quadrophonic mixer/panner, with power amps built in, and maybe ring modulation onboard. Very interested to see what it ends up being.

Unrecordings is right, the “touch controller” parts definitely look like repurposed transformer lams.
Skotchi
Very curious about the power supply…
TheDegenerateElite
Maybe it's a shock treatment device from an insane asylum!!!!

Now you have to post lots of photos and stuff in the dIY boards...especially if it shocks you.
a100user
A thing of beauty. I will definitely keep an eye on this thread for updates. 10/10 for taking the plunge. As you said even if it never works it will be a fascinating talking point.
Zube
Astrolabe23 wrote:
When I found this on eBay around midnight last night, I decided that I did not need another project, so I posted it here. I thought I would share the pics because it looked super interesting and would be gone quickly at that price, never to be seen again. After making my post, I kept staring at the pictures thinking you really should get it. After an hour or so of mental contemplation, I submitted an offer that was not instantly accepted ( see note below). I figured I would just let it ride and the universe would decide if it was to be. A few hours passed and no response ... I went to bed. To my surprise, I woke up this morning finding my offer accepted and waiting for payment. I paid, and it's on it's way.

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this auction. It certainly looks cool, old, and quad! I'll be keeping an eye on your restoration. Cheers!
unexpectedbowtie
This looks awesome. Really glad a fellow wiggler got it. Following with interest!
cretaceousear
Could it be a sort of meditation drone machine?
Looking forward to seeing and hearing progress!
jensenluxvid
Great find. Would love to hear it if/when it works. Hard to even tell how old it is exactly, in terms of era, but it obviously was not made any time recently.
franman69
Following.. this is fascinating... Best of luck bringing it back to life!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3