MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mk III Preset Manager (on ALL mk III modules)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Mk III Preset Manager (on ALL mk III modules)
mt3
The Harvestman

ABOUT THE MKIII MORPHING PRESET MANAGER

All Mark III Series modules from Industrial Music Electronics come with a standard preset manager interface. This manager is the product of determined user interface research, and the successful solution to a number of modular synthesizer performance questions. The MORPHING PRESET MANAGER enables immediate control and recall of all panel parameters and significantly reduces the number of patch cords required to recreate carefully patched sounds in a live situation. It provides a new dimension of intense sonic transformation suitable for deep sound design or extended performance technique, for when you just don’t have enough cables or limbs to move the controls in the way that your imagination demands.

The interface consists of an OLED display, rotary encoder, CV input, and an attenuator control. The CV input responds to positive and negative voltages. Each module has a setting to limit the operation of the preset manager: for example, the Hertz Donut and Piston Honda oscillators’ managers can operate ONLY on the wave parameters, or on ALL controls including the frequency. The user may prefer to use the manager only as a timbral control, or also as the master pitch control in a sequenced performance. The interface and voltage thresholds are standardized across all Mark III modules, so a simple unbuffered multiple is sufficient to simultaneously drive the preset state of several modules.

PRESET MODE
When activated, the manager engages one of eight active presets. The preset may be selected by turning the encoder or by manipulating the CV input. The controls may be manipulated while this mode is active, and the module’s CV inputs will also respond. To change the data that is stored in the preset memory, hold down the encoder button while moving the control you’d like to change. The eight presets can then be stored to nonvolatile memory that will endure power-downs and firmware upgrades.

MORPH MODE
When Morph mode is active, the managed controls are put under full control of the preset. The CV inputs will still respond to external voltages. Select a “base” preset by turning the rotary encoder: its button and menu settings will become the basic setting for the morph. The Morph CV input (and the attenuator/offset knob) will then morph ALL of the managed knob/slider controls from one preset to the next, operating over the entire active memory. For example, while using a Piston Honda Mark III, imagine the three waveform morphing axes setting a point within a “cube” of waveforms. By enabling the morphing presets, you are traveling in a straight line between each of these points, navigating a 3-dimensional timbral pathway using a single control voltage. This is something that would take several channels of programmed control voltages (and much more time) to repeatably recreate without the preset manger.

OTHER CONVENIENCES
Stored presets may be recalled from nonvolatile backup at any time. The behavior of the CV input and attenuator can be set in several different ways, from the expected attenuator behavior, to offset, to triggered preset advance, to triggered random preset generation. The preset menu provides initialization and randomization functions that work on the sound even if the preset manager is not active. The random generator tactfully selects sound parameters with carefully considered probabilities and awareness of other states of the preset, resulting in a new tone that more often than not sits in a previously unexplored “sweet spot” of the module’s possibilities.

The first deployment of the MORPHING PRESET MANAGER will be at the end of March 2018 with the release of Piston Honda Mark III, with others to follow in the summer. A full video demonstration will be recorded and released as soon as the final faceplates are installed.

- from facesbookofdeath

The Harvestman

FROM THE COMMENTS THREAD BELOW THE POST

"There is a menu option for determining the initial mode of the preset manager at startup, so if you have a handful of mk3 modules set up for impending performance you won't have to mash buttons on each one to get the preset manager to wake up. The only thing you'd have to worry about would be patching up whatever signal you are using to control the preset changes."
Ras Thavas
Really liking the idea of a morphing preset controller. Have used this sort of idea in software granular synthesis previously, and found storing multiple different sets of parameter states, then being able to navigate smoothly thru them, is a great way to go. Wish I could put 'em in cube, with my choice of preset state at each corner, but not complaining.

Really looking forward to seeing this roll out with new IME modules.
ether
What I'd really love to know is if the Bionic Lester MK II is delayed because it's now being turned into a MK III.

I've had funds set a side for a BL for feels like years! confused
governor blacksnake
Ras Thavas wrote:
Really liking the idea of a morphing preset controller. Have used this sort of idea in software granular synthesis previously, and found storing multiple different sets of parameter states, then being able to navigate smoothly thru them, is a great way to go. Wish I could put 'em in cube, with my choice of preset state at each corner, but not complaining.

Really looking forward to seeing this roll out with new IME modules.

Yes, this is very close to the idea I've designed for the MK3 preset system. It takes on an entirely new feeling once the preset morph is controlling (FOR EXAMPLE) in-grain morph between different sound buffers while each parameter's random influencers are also continuously changing with the preset sweep...
governor blacksnake
ether wrote:
What I'd really love to know is if the Bionic Lester MK II is delayed because it's now being turned into a MK III.

henlo
ether
governor blacksnake wrote:
ether wrote:

henlo

I’ll take that as a yes, fren.
Baddcr
Urgh!

BLmkII dropped? That's disappointing, don't really want the preset system, just want to finish off my mk][ system - don't want mkIII modules in there niggling me to upgrade the others, that would drive me potty and will stop me from buying it.

sad banana
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1