MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Suggestions for instant gratification with Ornament/Crime?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Suggestions for instant gratification with Ornament/Crime?
Digital Larry
Previously I was whining about not wanting any "deep" modules and then came a discussion of O + C so I decided to get one from a builder rather than do my own. It arrived quickly, well packed, looks great, lights up, and... uhh... I'm a little lost as to where to start since looking at the documentation reminds me of picking up a college textbook for a subject I was NOT studying.

I have 3 VCOs, clocks, gates, EGs, LFOs, etc. so I can feed it just about anything. I'm just having a tough time getting started to do something that sounds "nice" - like emm, 3 VCOs doing something together that would sound harmonious.

Any advice? thx.... Rockin' Banana!
igowen
i would suggest starting with Quantermain with at least one channel's CV source set to LFSR/turing machine: http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3/#anchor-quantermain

once you get the hang of using one channel, there are 3 other channels you can use to drive your other oscillators smile

edit: there is also a dedicated thread for the O+C
Audiodog
I was the same. I found that checking out a few videos was best option. Theree are many on YT. I simply tried to recreate what was goingbon in the videos, that got me into the module pretty quickly. At first glance it loooks v deep and inpeneratable but i found that many of the menu options for each mode are similar so the learning curve is not as steep as it appears. Good luck
schemawound
I would suggest Piqued as the source to instant gratification. 4 envelopes. Send triggers in, get envelopes out. Start mapping CV inputs to control your envelopes.

http://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3/#anchor-piqued

O_C is super deep, you best bet is to just learn one mode at a time until you know it pretty well.
dooj88
use vitznutcracker sweet as sequenced/random cv. can be clocked or run freely. attenuate and slew it if it's too much madness.

got some really great rhythmic melodic sequences running it into slide on the morphagene the other day
rayultine
Once you get various settings saved for all of the o_C algorithms, a super fun thing to do is get the module plugged in for one algorithm and then test out the other algorithms to see if they flip out. Just a fun thing to do when I'm in a rut.

It's worth the time and effort! Such a beautiful piece of programming.
insoul8
I was all over CopierMaschine when i first got mine. Easy to figure out, loads of fun.
StateAzure
Quantermain mode via the built in turing machine is definitely a great way to start, then play with the options and note masking!
Markthom
I recently knocked up a quick and dirty 3 page "how to" in terms of my approach to using Quantermain - rather than have to read the whole shebang which tbh is still a WIP the last page was just an example based on my most recent youtube upload with some brief patch notes and the key parameters used....

You could feed those values into your O&C and start tweaking from there to see what comes up....... The youtube vid is below



mcpepe
Markthom wrote:






Very nice!
StateAzure
Markthom wrote:
I recently knocked up a quick and dirty 3 page "how to" in terms of my approach to using Quantermain - rather than have to read the whole shebang which tbh is still a WIP the last page was just an example based on my most recent youtube upload with some brief patch notes and the key parameters used....The youtube vid is below



That's beautiful man, good job!
BaloErets
CopierMaschine; Easy-peasy setup;

a) Send a unipolar signal to the 1st CV input (Pam's new Workout's stepped random is great for this)
b) Send a clock to the 1st trigger input.
c) Send the O_c outputs to your 1v/oct inputs on your VCO's (tune them up first, or at least have your VCOs all set at some identical arbitrary pitch)
d) Choose a scale in the App

Play with your CV source and clocks. You might want to send your CV source through something that attenuates and offsets to be able to easily dial in your pitch range. You can reduce the gain of the CV inside the app, but I have always found it to be much more "playable" to have hands on control through a dedicated utility module for attenuation and offsets.
Timmy
Markthom, BaloErets and others who have contributed patch ideas here, any objection to us adding a "Patch Notes" page to the O&C web site and host copies of your suggestions (with attribution, of course) there?
rayultine
I have the opposite of objections
Osk
Markthom wrote:
I recently knocked up a quick and dirty 3 page "how to" in terms of my approach to using Quantermain - rather than have to read the whole shebang which tbh is still a WIP the last page was just an example based on my most recent youtube upload with some brief patch notes and the key parameters used....

You could feed those values into your O&C and start tweaking from there to see what comes up....... The youtube vid is below





I'd love for you to post the final draft of your guide.
Markthom
Timmy wrote:
Markthom, BaloErets and others who have contributed patch ideas here, any objection to us adding a "Patch Notes" page to the O&C web site and host copies of your suggestions (with attribution, of course) there?


Timmy, happy to contribute - I would like to send you my notes to get some feedback if thats ok? If there are no major faux pas you can share that and additionally for future O&C studies I do on my youtube channel, I'll include patch notes in the above format which I'm happy to be shared.... smile
Markthom
Osk wrote:


I'd love for you to post the final draft of your guide.


Hi Osk, I will do!
Roy72
BaloErets wrote:
CopierMaschine; Easy-peasy setup;

a) Send a unipolar signal to the 1st CV input (Pam's new Workout's stepped random is great for this)
b) Send a clock to the 1st trigger input.
c) Send the O_c outputs to your 1v/oct inputs on your VCO's (tune them up first, or at least have your VCOs all set at some identical arbitrary pitch)
d) Choose a scale in the App

Play with your CV source and clocks. You might want to send your CV source through something that attenuates and offsets to be able to easily dial in your pitch range. You can reduce the gain of the CV inside the app, but I have always found it to be much more "playable" to have hands on control through a dedicated utility module for attenuation and offsets.


I do this on copiermaschine with 2 oscillators panned left and right for endless ASR fun.
Roy72
Also, set up three of four different root/scale combinations, like pent minor in D, pent major in C, maybe pent major in F, all getting CV (sequencer or LFO) and gate from the first channels.

Run them in to a switch and sequence chord changes. Adding different transposition to each channel is also good, makes the changes sit out a bit more.

I like having a 5 or 7 step sequence going in, then switching channels after 4 or 8 runs through, so it rotates across the changes.
Digital Larry
thanks everyone! that should last me a few months Miley Cyrus
Isomutable
Thanks for sharing these instant gratification suggestions. I found myself in the same place recently, unpacked and racked my uO_C and then scratched my head...I mean where do you start? It's such a deep module, such good value - So now we have this "quick start guide". Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group