MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ts or Trs cables for patching Eurorack with external stuff?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Ts or Trs cables for patching Eurorack with external stuff?
placebo92
Sorry I'm sure this has been answered before, I've done some reading but these kinds of threads always seem to get super technical and lose me along the way.

Hoping someone csn clear this up for me,
So say if I wanted to connect external sound sources (electric guitar/hardware synths/ipad) to my modulsr (veils) would a 3.5mm ts to 1/4 ts cable do the trick? Or would I need Trs to Trs..? From my understanding trs could be safer (?) Because if the ins and outs are unbalanced it will sort of just act as a ts cable. Maybe I'm way off here though.

Likewisr for connecting a hot signal from ny eurorack to a Mackir vlz4 mixer would TS to TS be the way to go as well? So far I've been using TRS to TRS as that's the cable I have, but I have been noticing some noise/clipping coming from my speakers and wonder if this is the cause.

Thank you very much fpr any help..
Mungo
You have more than one question/misunderstanding in your post, a single cable will not solve all these issues. It will need you to learn about audio systems and the first place to start is here:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html
and then an introduction to setting gains:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/setting_sound_system_and_mixin g_console_gain_staging/
vicpop
The voltages passed around eurorack modules are higher than what comes out of line level gear. That's why you're getting clipping more easily. It just needs to be attenuated down. Likewise, line level stuff coming in is going to be quiet.

Audio interface modules exist to help with this, but you can of course just plug stuff into the modular directly and then amplify, probably with some extra noise.
authorless
If you don't have a balanced signal, you should be using a TS cable.
placebo92
vicpop wrote:
The voltages passed around eurorack modules are higher than what comes out of line level gear. That's why you're getting clipping more easily. It just needs to be attenuated down. Likewise, line level stuff coming in is going to be quiet.

Audio interface modules exist to help with this, but you can of course just plug stuff into the modular directly and then amplify, probably with some extra noise.

Ya I'm going to try to use ny MI Veils to bring external stuff up to Euro levels. Was mainly just wondering say witg a guitar would a TS cable be the way to go.

I had also read that Mackie vlz nixers can deal with the hot output, but I guess they don't attenuate? Hmm I guess I'll run the output back thru the maths than on the way out!
placebo92
Mungo wrote:
You have more than one question/misunderstanding in your post, a single cable will not solve all these issues. It will need you to learn about audio systems and the first place to start is here:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html
and then an introduction to setting gains:
https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/setting_sound_system_and_mixin g_console_gain_staging/

Cool I'll check those out. Thanks
Abyssinianloop
placebo92 wrote:

I had also read that Mackie vlz nixers can deal with the hot output, but I guess they don't attenuate? Hmm I guess I'll run the output back thru the maths than on the way out!

Nearly any desktop mixer will bring your modular levels down to manageble without the need for any special output modules or attenuation.
amop
Abyssinianloop wrote:
placebo92 wrote:

Nearly any desktop mixer will bring your modular levels down to manageble without the need for any special output modules or attenuation.

I use a Mackie 1202VLZ4 for this and it works fine. I’ve still got an Intellijel Audio I/O because it helps with bringing in external line level signals, but can also attenuate output when needed.
R.U.Nuts
A guitar for example has an unbalanced output anyway. So a TRS cable wouldn't do anything anyway. I'd check if the signal sources you want to use have balanced outputs. It' very likely that they don't...
Anyway instead of using an 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor plug I'd go for a preamp module or an adaptor with 1/4 inputs (regardless of balanced or not) because the sources will probably have 1/4 outputs. The bigger and heavier 1/4 cables put a lot of stress on the small 1/8 jacks. Just imagine you use a guitar and accidentially step on the cable. This will very likely wreck the 1/8 input of your module.
grep
Please note that if you are using an ouput like the Intellijell I/O module, they do have balanced outputs. So if you are going into a mixer/interface with balanced inputs then a TRS cable would be appropriate.
Audiodog
grep wrote:
Please note that if you are using an ouput like the Intellijell I/O module, they do have balanced outputs. So if you are going into a mixer/interface with balanced inputs then a TRS cable would be appropriate.

I didn’t realize that. I will repatch
Thx
placebo92
R.U.Nuts wrote:
A guitar for example has an unbalanced output anyway. So a TRS cable wouldn't do anything anyway. I'd check if the signal sources you want to use have balanced outputs. It' very likely that they don't...
Anyway instead of using an 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor plug I'd go for a preamp module or an adaptor with 1/4 inputs (regardless of balanced or not) because the sources will probably have 1/4 outputs. The bigger and heavier 1/4 cables put a lot of stress on the small 1/8 jacks. Just imagine you use a guitar and accidentially step on the cable. This will very likely wreck the 1/8 input of your module.

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought of.. Ah but the precious rack space. I'm thinking down the line I'll get a 7u which will give me the extra space for utilities like this. One other thing, I guess you can basically always assume a modules input is unbalanced right? Like unless it's a audio interface module or something.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1