MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Required hip-hop listening?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Required hip-hop listening?
kf6gpe
OK, another question for the masses. I pretty much missed the whole movement -- I think I was unfortunately too narrow-minded to appreciate it, and now that I've realized what an ass I was when I was younger, I'm curious what i've missed. And, too, a lot of my reading points to hip-hop as an essential foundation in modern music.

Can folks name three or four artists that I should listen to to better put the music in modern context? And that may have interesting repercussions for my own work (noise, sampling, general noodling around)?

Thanks!
rishin
Two must listens, on the more experimental side, are Madvillainy by Madvillain and Liquid Swords by GZA. Of course there's much much more good stuff, but I think these two are essential for experimental production.
memes_33
those two albums definitely. i'd also suggest viktor vaughn's "vaudiville villian" as the beats are pretty abstract/noisy (like "never dead"). run the jewels is newer, very well regarded and lives up to the hype. kendrick lamar's "to pimp a butterfly" is pretty epic, with lots of free jazz and experimental elements.

beastie boy's "paul's boutique" is one one of the best classic hip-hop albums ever. more classic stuff like tribe called quest and de la souls first albums are great earmarks.

i'm really into this new video from quell chris & jean grae- hope the forthcoming albums is as good as this song:

most of the radio stuff has been garbage for the past 10 years IMO, but i'm approaching 40, so maybe i'm just you kids get off my lawn
porphyrion
Too many to name...
You must have heard *some* --

Just a few random entries I still like:

- Cannibal Ox - 'The cold vein' (2001) -- ice cold, distant sound
- Adrian Younge & Ghostface Killah - '12 reasons to die' (2013) -- don't focus on the lyrics, just listen to the IMO jaw-dropping production. A kazillion soundtrack references with a classic sound. Makes me wish I could record everything straight to reel.
- Public Enemy - 'It take a nation of millions to hold us back' (1988) -- they were good back then!
- Dr Octagon - 'Dr. Octagonocologyst' (1996) - *not* just funny.
- Beastie Boys - 'Paul's Boutique' - idem. Sampling masterclass.

There's plenty good early electro-rap out there as well, entirely different story-

Pretty commercial, but as good a place to start as any:
https://www.allmusic.com/genre/rap-ma0000002816/albums
dogoftears
dear lord what a huge can of worms!!

ok for starters do not sleep on Kendrick Lamar. he's a fucking genius. this is modern, popular rap. watch this video:

for the roots, you must fully explore Wu Tang Klan, KRS1, NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, 2pac, et al. 2pac is amazing, Me Against the World is friggin prophetic. Wu Tang is prolly my favorite all around hooping music... jump shots get made if 36 chambers is playing.

every one should own Dr Octagon- Dr Octagonacologist. this shit is so tight. check it:

and for the more underground sound, there is everything from Definitive Jux label (cannibal ox, el-p, aesop rock, et al)... but my personal favorite is the group CLIPPING. all their albums are insane and blow my mind. these guys use modulars, max/msp, and classic analog gear to make rap music. the rapper is davee diggs, who plays thomas jefferson in "Hamilton"... check out this ridiculous skinny puppy style music vid:

k themz my 2 cents...
NU
If you want four records to summarize four decades worth of history and evolution, you could do worse than:

But there are many, many, many gaps.
listentoaheartbeat
Another 1990s essential:

And one from the 2000s:

JAO

1/ Marley Marl
    2/ Marley Marl
    3/ Marlon Williams
medium Rob
Ghostface Killah's Ironman and Method Man's Tical - two choice albums showcasing RZA's unique 'early days' production.. seconding Mobb Deep's The Infamous, along with Let the Rhythm Hit 'em by Eric B and Rakim, and Heavy Mental by Killah Priest. For excellent lyrical flow and cold humor, check out Big L's first album "Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous"

Also, look for tracks made by Pete Rock and DJ Premier.
chaosick
kf6gpe wrote:
OK, another question for the masses. I pretty much missed the whole movement -- I think I was unfortunately too narrow-minded to appreciate it, and now that I've realized what an ass I was when I was younger, I'm curious what i've missed. And, too, a lot of my reading points to hip-hop as an essential foundation in modern music.

Can folks name three or four artists that I should listen to to better put the music in modern context? And that may have interesting repercussions for my own work (noise, sampling, general noodling around)?

Thanks!

Short lived duo, but epic: Black Star.
HighLordFixer

@realwiggler
Bang dis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oiusDE0KND8
ngarjuna
Sugarhill! There’s a lot more than Rapper’s Delight...

Warren G ‘Regulate’

Dre’s ‘The Chronic’ or Snoop’s ‘Doggy Style’ or Tupac’s ‘All Eyes On Me’ for some gangsta

And anything Raekwon or Gza (Cuban Links 2 and Liquid Swords respectively are good places to start)
GrantB
medium Rob wrote:
Let the Rhythm Hit 'em by Eric B and Rakim

!!!

but since kf6gpe is in norcal

and anything with Nate Dogg on it
LameAim
There's honestly too many to list, but I'll cosign a great majority of the stuff already recommended in this thread.

Here's a few more albums of the past and present. Old classics, new favorites and a ton of videos:

J Dilla - Donuts (honestly, you should just listen to everything the man touched)

De La Soul - Stakes is High

El-P - Fantastic Damage / I'll Sleep When You're Dead

Vince Staples - Summertime '06 / Big Fish Theory

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy / Hella Personal Film Festival / Brick Body Kids Still Daydream

Aesop Rock - Skelethon
flabby
Seems like most of the classics are being named. What about something modern?

Death Grips

medium Rob
That Guillotine video is rad as fuck. As for modern rap, I'm out of touch.. I was floored by The Underachievers' Indigoism album (find it for free online), and Roc Marciano's early albums (Marcberg, Reloaded) are a nice pastiche of early 90s-flavored, Mobb Deep-esque raps.

https://youtu.be/p5qE57tO3Iw

Ka - Grief Pedigree - Long Form Video. This guy's alright.

Also, the production on Devin the Dude's Waiting to Inhale is frikkin' excellent.
poorpot
Ty - Closer

Roots Manuva - Witness The Fitness

OnCue - Staring at the Sun
poorpot
A Tribe Called Quest - We The People
phase ghost
Raekown - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx.
rishin
Damn..exhaustive thread Guinness ftw!
suboptimal
Not sure if they've been mentioned, but Gang Starr is very high on my hip hop list.

Kool Keith (a.k.a. Dr. Octagon, and many other aliases) has a number of masterpiece albums. Sex Style, Dr. Doom, and especially Masters of Illusion.
Tago Mago
tron23
kf6gpe wrote:

Thanks!

J.Dilla Ruff Draft
jules
The cold vein is an absolute beast of an album.

Classic for classics: Run DMC's raising hell [/b]

Deltron 3030 also has its place here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6YJjkO7F5A
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3