MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Nearest equivalent to Cirklon breakout box
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author Nearest equivalent to Cirklon breakout box
Luddite
I am looking to get similar functionality as the breakout box for the Cirklon as I am really having a hard time with the Cirklon's interface and general architecture. I just prefer sequencing from the computer I guess.

The breakout box can send 8 gates and 16 CV outs. I would be happy with 4 gates and 12 CV outs.

Here is the question.

I am starting with an ES-8.

ES-8 can be expanded with ES-3. Good, we are nearly there.

Can the ES-3 then be expanded with another ES-3 or do I need to go into the ES-5? The ES-5 has a voltage range of only 0-5V, right?

Any suggestions as to how I can get something equivalent to the Cirklon breakout box? Or at least 4 Gates and 16 CV Outs? All these theoretical combinations are driving me mad!

I do not want to use Silent Way by the way. I would just prefer to work from Ableton.

Thanks ever so much in advance!
os
ES-8 plus ES-3 gives you 16 outputs, so that's your 4 gates & 12 CVs already, right?

You can't add another ES-3 to the ES-8, but you could add an ES-5 to either (or both). The ES-5 only does gates, not general purpose CVs.
Luddite
Many thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I wanted to use two of the outs instead of my sound card! My mistake. Brilliant advice though. Thanks!
Luddite
I am going to try to get this straight as the manual is not leaving me any the wiser.

With the ES-8, it does not respond to midi at all. It is essentially a sound card that converts audio to CV but, because it is DC coupled, it can also send negative voltages, correct?

So, if I take a synthesiser in Ableton like the Operator and pitch down a square wave into the really low sub frequency range, I can then generate envelopes without artefacts from it which I can modulate my modular synth gear with, right?

The difference between this and just doing it with the MOTU sound card with, say, a pitchbend to CV max device or whatever, is that we get a +/- 10v range from the ES-8 as opposed to the approximate 0-5V that I am getting now using the MOTU method and a pitchbend to CV max patch.

So, assuming that I have got all this correct, here is the question. Without using Silent Way, would I be able to use this method with the ES-8 to generate envelopes and reach a 10v range instead of the current 5V-ish range? If so, would it also be theoretically possible to record the square wave (pre-envelope) from the Operator as audio and then simply draw modulation on the recording before sending it to the ES-8? Could we then in theory also draw our own LFOs etc?

Sorry for the interminable questions but I have spent a rake of money on midi cvs modules in the past and now think that the ES-8 may be my only workaround.

I do not want to learn Silent Way though. I just know that I do not have the head for it.

Thanks for your patience!
os
Quote:
With the ES-8, it does not respond to midi at all. It is essentially a sound card that converts audio to CV but, because it is DC coupled, it can also send negative voltages, correct?

All audio interfaces can send positive and negative voltages. The difference with being DC coupled is that it can hold a non-zero voltage indefinitely.

It does send a wider range of voltages compared to most audio interfaces though (MOTU is generally about ±4V).

Quote:
Without using Silent Way, would I be able to use this method with the ES-8 to generate envelopes and reach a 10v range instead of the current 5V-ish range? If so, would it also be theoretically possible to record the square wave (pre-envelope) from the Operator as audio and then simply draw modulation on the recording before sending it to the ES-8? Could we then in theory also draw our own LFOs etc?

Yes.

Quote:
I do not want to learn Silent Way though. I just know that I do not have the head for it.

I'm not sure what you think is involved in "learning Silent Way". It's just a bunch of plug-ins that generates LFOs etc. for you.
Luddite
os wrote:
Quote:

All audio interfaces can send positive and negative voltages. The difference with being DC coupled is that it can hold a non-zero voltage indefinitely.

It does send a wider range of voltages compared to most audio interfaces though (MOTU is generally about ±4V).

Quote:
Without using Silent Way, would I be able to use this method with the ES-8 to generate envelopes and reach a 10v range instead of the current 5V-ish range? If so, would it also be theoretically possible to record the square wave (pre-envelope) from the Operator as audio and then simply draw modulation on the recording before sending it to the ES-8? Could we then in theory also draw our own LFOs etc?

Yes.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you think is involved in "learning Silent Way". It's just a bunch of plug-ins that generates LFOs etc. for you.

Thanks again for the answers. I have just ordered one online as a result. As for learning Silent Way, I will see what it is like when I get the package but I think I will stick with what I know if it is not self evident as I seem to spend my life reading manuals!
Luddite
os wrote:
ES-8 plus ES-3 gives you 16 outputs, so that's your 4 gates & 12 CVs already, right?

You can't add another ES-3 to the ES-8, but you could add an ES-5 to either (or both). The ES-5 only does gates, not general purpose CVs.

Well, I have got both ES-8 and ES-3 now. I am delighted with them. Rather typically though I could do with just another couple of inputs and outputs! Famous last words, I know. If I do not want gates but want more of the same, is this out of the question? Can I get inputs at least?

Not moaning if it is not possible though. It is all good stuff!
os
ES-6 will give you 6 more inputs.

For more outputs - you could add another ES-8! Or expand via the ES-5 and ESX-8CV, though that's not "more of the same".
Luddite
os wrote:
ES-6 will give you 6 more inputs.

For more outputs - you could add another ES-8! Or expand via the ES-5 and ESX-8CV, though that's not "more of the same".

Thanks for the advice. I am a thickhead so perhaps a table or diagram on your site would help with the configuration options! Anyway, I will check this straight away.
cryptogreen
@os is there any chance you could make a MEGA version of the ES-8 with like 16 in 16 out with on-board dsp, midi i/o, and a bag of crisps?
os
Never say never.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1