MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Instruments Stages
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Author Mutable Instruments Stages
pugix
mosorensen wrote:
Hi Pugix,

Just to make sure I understand, a Step segment does act like a sample & hold when it is a single segment, correct? This is what the manual says:

"A single STEP segment works as a sample and hold: at every rising edge of the GATE, it records and holds the voltage set by the slider [C] and CV input [1]. Use the potentiometer [A] to change the glide rate."

Am I correct that your description only applies to a Step segment that is a part of a group with several segments?

Btw. thanks a lot for your "Stages Investigations". You really demonstrated the depth and potential of this module, and that did a lot to convince me to get one myself.

Yes, you are probably right about the single segment Step. I'm going to look at that again, and especially if it is cycling.

Thanks,
SB-SIX
joeSeggiola wrote:
I compiled a modified firmware for Stages that let me enter and exit the "ouroboros" mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on, by long-pressing any button for 5 seconds.

You can download the firmware here and load it following the official firmware update procedure.

Please beware! I only tested it with a single non-chained module, and without chaining the module itself. I'm quite sure it will behave very strange if chained. Obviously I'm not responsible for any issue you might encounter.

For those interested in the code changes I made, here they are. Any fix or improvement is welcome.

The wav is offline. Can I download it anywhere?
hawkfuzz
just clicked the link and it worked...try again.
SB-SIX
hawkfuzz wrote:
just clicked the link and it worked...try again.

Yes its working again thanks! Weird, yesterday all I got was a 404.
SB-SIX
Wow the harmonic oscillator mode is insanely good!
Godphaser
joeSeggiola wrote:
I compiled a modified firmware for Stages that let me enter and exit the "ouroboros" mode (the harmonic oscillator easter egg) at runtime, while the module is powered on, by long-pressing any button for 5 seconds.

You can download the firmware here and load it following the official firmware update procedure.

Please beware! I only tested it with a single non-chained module, and without chaining the module itself. I'm quite sure it will behave very strange if chained. Obviously I'm not responsible for any issue you might encounter.

For those interested in the code changes I made, here they are. Any fix or improvement is welcome.

Anybody tested it? Does it work without any bugs?

Any risk to brick the module?

Thanks!
Hovercraft
Loaded it recently on my Stages--works fine--haven't noticed any bugs or problems.
a100user
Hovercraft wrote:
Loaded it recently on my Stages--works fine--haven't noticed any bugs or problems.

Do you have a single Stages or linked multiple units?

Thanks
Hovercraft
a100user wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

Thanks

I have one Stages.
Virusinstaller
I had a listen to a friends stages with the harmonic oscillator and it sounds superb!
a100user
Hovercraft wrote:
a100user wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:

Thanks

I have one Stages.

Thanks
moncks_crossing
I have 2 mutable Stages. How can I wire it with switches so it can be switched between harmonic oscillator mode ( self patched on one module ) to chaining two modules for a 12 segment stages?
MvK
Are you sure it will work while power is on? Maybe Stages would have to be rebooted to realize the wiring.
moncks_crossing
It would be ok if it needs to be switched while power is off - in fact this would be necessary for it, as it detects the connection on power up and boots in the correct mode. The switches would make it easier without having to remove the module.
MvK
possible problem maybe:

It depends how stages boots. I guess on power up it checks some kind of ID on the connection to find out how many stages there are. If a connection is established but no ID is coming there might be a problem. Just a guess.
kineticturtle
Isn't the connector like a 4 pin connector? Just get a 4p2t switch and wire it inline. I would bet (and I'm just making an educated guess here) that even if you flipped the switch while the unit is on, the leftmost mode could be changed to oscillator mode without any problems. Worst case scenario one crashes, I can't imagine this would do any permanent damage.

Anyway thanks for this thread popping back up, I didn't even know about the easter egg mode, I'm enjoying the heck out of it. :)
CaptainRockout
EDIT: Did not read far enough back. I should have known someone would have already tried a firmware solution lol
moncks_crossing
I would be fine if you needed to throw the switches and then power the module for it to boot into orginal or easter egg. It would mean that therewas no need to remove the module from the rack to change the cable.
Videographics
Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?

(BTW, it’s a 3-pin cable that links the modules and enables the Easter egg on startup with the original firmware.)
moncks_crossing
Videographics wrote:
Did the last few posters miss the posts about the alternate firmware that switches with a long button press?

But how does this work with 2 modules chained - can you still put one in harmonic mode with the long button press?

Videographics wrote:
(BTW, it’s a 3-pin cable that links the modules and enables the Easter egg on startup with the original firmware.)

But this can’t be done with 2 modules chained.
joeSeggiola
moncks_crossing wrote:
Videographics wrote:

But how does this work with 2 modules chained - can you still put one in harmonic mode with the long button press?

I'm the author of that firmware edit. Unfortunately I don't know, and I only have a single Stages, so I can't make tests. My hypothesis however is that it will behave strange or erroneously. Probably the one you put in ouroboros at runtime will function correctly, but the other one will still think to be chained, and act accordingly. I really can't tell :(
forestcaver
joeSeggiola wrote:
moncks_crossing wrote:
Videographics wrote:

I'm the author of that firmware edit. Unfortunately I don't know, and I only have a single Stages, so I can't make tests. My hypothesis however is that it will behave strange or erroneously. Probably the one you put in ouroboros at runtime will function correctly, but the other one will still think to be chained, and act accordingly. I really can't tell :(

It wont function correctly :-)

I’ve done some similar changes that also passes the ouroboros state left and right to chained modules to switch them as well. I’ve only tried it on two modules but my concerns are the overhead (memory) on the right and left comms - especially with more than two modules.... I’d love to test it with six but....
CaptainRockout
Videographics wrote:

I absolutely did miss them. Saw everyone talking about a switch expander and my first thought was "why not edit the firmware?" A shame it won't work for two Stages that are chained together as that is my situation too. Emilie recently posted this great diagram on the Mutable forum for a configuration using a DPDT switch: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/multiple-stages-easter-egg/148 53/13
forestcaver
CaptainRockout wrote:
Videographics wrote:

I absolutely did miss them. Saw everyone talking about a switch expander and my first thought was "why not edit the firmware?" A shame it won't work for two Stages that are chained together as that is my situation too. Emilie recently posted this great diagram on the Mutable forum for a configuration using a DPDT switch: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/multiple-stages-easter-egg/148 53/13

I’ve got a firmware hack working (tested) with two Stages. My concern is if it’ll scale to six....
CaptainRockout
forestcaver wrote:
I’ve got a firmware hack working (tested) with two Stages. My concern is if it’ll scale to six....

Awesome! I think two will be good enough for a lot of people, but more would certainly be awesome. I'm thinking of trying my hand at an expander as it would be a fun little project that a DIY newbie like me could handle.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next [all]
Page 31 of 33