MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Guitologist
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Guitologist
mousegarden
Just thought I'd post this link, very interesting and well presented videos...

sduck
Oh yes, I watch all of that guys videos. He's very knowledgable and entertaining, which is pretty amazing for such a generally dry topic. And he has a surprising amount of subs for a guy who basically does 50 minute videos about fixing amps. I kind of get a kick out of the words he routinely mispronounces - tremelo is always trem-olo.

I've been trying to get him to work on my vox super beatles amp. Should be right up his alley. He postponed me last year because he was moving, I'll try again soon.
mousegarden
sduck wrote:
Oh yes, I watch all of that guys videos. He's very knowledgable and entertaining, which is pretty amazing for such a generally dry topic. And he has a surprising amount of subs for a guy who basically does 50 minute videos about fixing amps. I kind of get a kick out of the words he routinely mispronounces - tremelo is always trem-olo.

I've been trying to get him to work on my vox super beatles amp. Should be right up his alley. He postponed me last year because he was moving, I'll try again soon.

Pronunciations are funny sometimes, we say "soulder" for solder in the UK, it always amuses me, the American way of saying it "sodder"
sduck
mousegarden wrote:
we say "soulder" for solder in the UK, it always amuses me, the American way of saying it "sodder"

Oh yeah - I grew up pronouncing it sodder, but I'm becoming hooked on using the proper pronunciation with an L - it sounds much more knowledgable.
TheBradster
This channel is great! Thanks for the post.
mousegarden
TheBradster wrote:
This channel is great! Thanks for the post.

There are a few channels on YouTube that for me, fall into the "I know nothing about it but it's relaxing, therapeutic, and fascinating" category.
Marcus Fuller is one, and this is another.....very fascinating guy...

smetak
Hahaha - I've been watching this guy, "Brad, the Guitologist", for quite a while now - hooked on this - don't ask me why (I have zero knowledge on electronics & etc).

But his knowledge of these prehistoric amps is just mindblowing! And all the junk he buys and tries to fix. Crazy!

Incidentally, on his pronunciation, he's from the south and his southern accent is quite pronounced.
mousegarden
smetak wrote:
Hahaha - I've been watching this guy, "Brad, the Guitologist", for quite a while now - hooked on this - don't ask me why (I have zero knowledge on electronics & etc).

But his knowledge of these prehistoric amps is just mindblowing! And all the junk he buys and tries to fix. Crazy!

Incidentally, on his pronunciation, he's from the south and his southern accent is quite pronounced.

I thought he was from Texas, or somewhere like that??
It's very therapeutic seeing things being fixed so well for some reason, and being brought back to life. His knowledge is amazing, and he's a real craftsman.
smetak
mousegarden wrote:
smetak wrote:

It's very therapeutic seeing things being fixed so well for some reason, and being brought back to life. His knowledge is amazing, and he's a real craftsman.

If not mistaken, he's from Louisville, Kentucky.

Yeah, it is very therapeutic watching him fix and explain this stuff, been hooked on this for the same reason.
mousegarden
smetak wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
smetak wrote:

Yeah, it is very therapeutic watching him fix and explain this stuff, been hooked on this for the same reason.

I've totally lost touch with how it feels to really want to be extremely good at something, and to totally dedicating your whole life to it, being focused on one thing. I can rember feeling like that in my teens, but I was into too many things to become really knowledgable in one area.
smetak
mousegarden wrote:
smetak wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
smetak wrote:

I've totally lost touch with how it feels to really want to be extremely good at something, and to totally dedicating your whole life to it, being focused on one thing. I can rember feeling like that in my teens, but I was into too many things to become really knowledgable in one area.

Yeah, I think you're right; I think that's what also attracts me - the way he's able to catch some bizarre screw hidden under an amp's lid or an old speaker cone, correctly identify it and give you the thing's entire history and evolution. That really is amazing and does leave you a bit envious of the guy's impressive knowledge. You kind of wish you could go back in time and find the patience and perseverance to do the same....but at 50, I'm too much of a lazy bastard, too much of a cynic to even contemplate something like this.
mousegarden
smetak wrote:
Yeah, I think you're right; I think that's what also attracts me - the way he's able to catch some bizarre screw hidden under an amp's lid or an old speaker cone, correctly identify it and give you the thing's entire history and evolution. That really is amazing and does leave you a bit envious of the guy's impressive knowledge. You kind of wish you could go back in time and find the patience and perseverance to do the same....but at 50, I'm too much of a lazy bastard, too much of a cynic to even contemplate something like this.

I think the equation goes like this...

This is something I like doing, can I make money out of it and put a roof over my head and feed my family from it? If the answer is yes, then I have to dedicate my life to being the best I possibly can at this thing, otherwise I won't survive and my family will leave me. There is no safety net in the USA, and that's one hell of a motivation to get your shit into gear, it's a completely different attitude to the one we have in my country. That's why America is an amazing place to be, everyone I know that's been there says that you feel you can do anything, be anything, as long as you've got the drive and the motivation the world is your oyster, it can be a very exciting place to be.
My partner used to live in LA, and she loved it there, her husband was rich, and they lived the lifestyle, she also ended up on the streets after she broke up with him, so she knows what it's like to be down and out in the USA, it's not something she'd want to repeat that's for sure.
Guitologist obviously makes a living from his repairs and YouTube videos, how cool is that! And at the same time he's passing invaluable knowledge to others, and long may he continue to do so.
stingers
mousegarden wrote:

I know that feel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1