MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY'd utility panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author DIY'd utility panels
chrisdermo
I made a couple of passive utility modules from my blanks - one banana -> 1/4" format jumbler to allow me more individual signals to feed into a mixer / recording interface, and one switchable diode in/out to remove negative voltages and allow me to send cvs from the bugs into My tetrax and double knot and such.

I did a chirper expansion panel before too which is in the chirper thread. Anyone else made any passive utilities for their bug systems? Ive seen the pencil field controller panel I believe otoskope made thumbs up
phisynth
Well done, Chris !

I didn't do any, but I I'm using the BB passive switches modules a lot, in almost all my patches. A very useful utility module indeed
chrisdermo
phisynth wrote:
Well done, Chris !

I didn't do any, but I I'm using the BB passive switches modules a lot, in almost all my patches. A very useful utility module indeed

Just read up on the passive switches - so the capacitors remove dc, interesting! Going to have a read up on that.
Voltage_Controller
Can we see the back of the switchable diode? Where can we read more about that? Great builds!
chrisdermo
Voltage_Controller wrote:
Can we see the back of the switchable diode? Where can we read more about that? Great builds!

It's as simple as placing a diode in the path between an output and an input.

From Tom (hope he doesn't mind me copying over) :

Diodes - use simple 1N4148s (or 1N914 is the same effectively).
You'll see they have a line on one end - that's the 'output' end.
You probably don't need the extra 100k (or so) to 0V because most inputs will have similar.
You can also easily implement a logic OR by summing diodes as shown:

Here's the back of mine. Not the prettiest thing ever but it works. Blue banana to toggle centre lug, outer lug one direct to red banana, outer lug 2 through diode into red banana.

I haven't tried sending bugs to the tetrax or the double knot via this yet, but if the ground/100k resistor are necessary I'll add a common 100k + ground via MTA100 to the bug frame.

Also note to make these I disassembled my crossover filter expander panel and screwed the two blanks to it back to back and drilled through the same holes to get the symmetry. I then widened the holes for the 1/4" and roughly placed the holes for the switches on the diode module. Kinda scratched up my CoF expander panel a bit but I can live with that.
DickMarker
Cool stuff.

On a slight tangent (and hoping to get some advice here) I bought a Mystic Circuits Passive OR Gate kit from Thonk with the intention of mounting it in a Meng Qi Arcade Manifold which I use a lot with the Synthvoice.

Now this kit is designed for Euro and has 3.5mm jacks - it's got a little passive circuit board that you mount them and the components on. I want to change out the Euro jacks for banana.

Given the specific needs for 0V reference when using bananas, my thinking is that I need to wire from each banana jack to where each 3.5mm tip would go on the circuit board and then connect all the points where the 3.5mm sleeves would be soldered to the Arcade Manifold 0V banana jack? Or would connecting just one of the sleeve points to 0V suffice?

Any advice would be appreciated.
DickMarker

Pic attached for reference.
BugBrand
It'd probably be just as quick/neat to to it up with flying components.

The OR part is like the schem Chris posted above (ie. with 1K to 0V - though I'd usually use 10k-100k there) but with an extra 1K from the sum point to the output. The Trig part is the same but puts a 10n cap in series before the 1k output resistor.

The only point you'd need to connect to system 0V is the bottom of the one resistor.

If using the PCB then, yes, banana to jack tip and connect one 0V point to system 0V
DickMarker
Cheers Tom, was hoping you'd pitch in.

I was deliberating point to point like Chris' but saw the kit and fancied a bit of that trig out also. My soldering's ok but it's nice to have a template and some pads to work with!
chrisdermo
Received some polybox capacitors in the mail today - the dc offset removal is seriously fun! Works amazingly well with the boardweevil too to give it some uncharacteristically slopey modulation sounds! Need to read up on capacitors in series now.... hmmm.....
chrisdermo
chrisdermo wrote:
Received some polybox capacitors in the mail today - the dc offset removal is seriously fun! Works amazingly well with the boardweevil too to give it some uncharacteristically slopey modulation sounds! Need to read up on capacitors in series now.... hmmm.....

Ah! Capacitance is summed when capacitors are used in parallel w00t
chrisdermo
Did a couple more - one minijack format jumbler and one switchable dc offset remover, 2 different cap values per switch, centre off. Capacitors are fun! The polyboxes I ordered are enormous though it's kind of a mess behind the panel, gotta be really careful moving this one around!
8 minijack ports is perfect for sending the beatstep pro drum gates into the system, or even 2 of the melodic sequences and 4 of the drum gates w00t

Wonder if anyone knows - my dc offset remover and negative voltage remover (see earlier post) both work perfectly on their own, but if I patch from the dc remover to the negative voltage remover it cuts all signal completely? Is it because I'm not putting a ground reference in anywhere on these two modules?

(Also I'm crap at precision drilling hence the wonky alignment!)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1