MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SW RE CV output always on
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author SW RE CV output always on
epiphanius
Hi:

I have had some success (and many failures in the process) in calibrating my Minibrute for cv using the Silent Way Rack Extension, however, whenever I do this, I get a fairly hot signal on the cv channel (channel 2 in my picture).

Part of the complexity is that I am using an 'aggregate device' in OS X 10.7, which combines an Alesis firewire iO14 with a Scarlett 8i6. This does work though it is somewhat tempermental.

Anyone know why the CV note channel is always in the red? Should it be about half way at all times? Or should it be at zero, as the gate channel is.

Also, once calibrated, can I disconnect the calibration input into the Silentway RE?

Thanks for reading,

Epiphanius
os
Quote:
Anyone know why the CV note channel is always in the red? Should it be about half way at all times? Or should it be at zero, as the gate channel is.

It could be anywhere, depending on what pitch you're sending out.

Quote:
Also, once calibrated, can I disconnect the calibration input into the Silentway RE?

Yes.
epiphanius
Yeah, I get, now, that this wasn't a very good question: I really just had to get a bit more familiar with cv. Is there a reason that a note cv might be outputting a middle C or something, so that much signal is likely to be present on a note cv, but not on a gate cv?

Hope I'm making sense, mostly I just need more hands on experience.

Thanks,

e.
os
I'm really not sure what you're asking. Is it actually causing you a problem and/or not working as expected?
epiphanius
I'm asking where the source of the signal in channel 2 (2nd picture) originates. I asked this prior to getting a sense of the way cv outputs work at all.

But I still get this signal, about half way to clipping in channel 2, the CV note output from SW Voice Controller, and I don't know why there is a signal on this channel.

I can turn it off by disconnecting channel 2, but when I reconnect it, the signal comes back. If I recalibrate, the signal is some times slightly higher than halfway, even well into to red.

Why does SW VC seem to be outputting a signal on the cv note channel output, even when there is no input at all into SW VC?

Thanks,

e.
os
It's always going to be outputting a pitch CV - the CV of the last note it was sent, or if it's not been sent a note yet, of the default C4 or whatever. If that pitch isn't at 0V (no reason it should be) you'll see a signal.
epiphanius
Thanks for persevering, OS - exactly the detail I needed. I assumed it reset after sending a note, e.g.

In this case: things are going well getting cv out from Reason and into my Minibrute. Woohoo!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1