MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-3 half-dead?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-3 half-dead?
midiguru
I have the ES-3/ES-6 combo, connected via ADAT cables to my PreSonus 1818VSL. The audio out from the ES-6 into my computer works fine -- no problems. And obviously the ES-3's clock input from the lightpipe cable is working, because if it weren't the ES-6 wouldn't be able to transmit audio.

However, the ES-3 seems to be completely unable to receive audio from my computer via the PreSonus. Here's the scenario:

I'm using Reason 10. I activate all of the ADAT audio outputs from the PreSonus using the Reason Preferences. At this point the Reason Audio I/O "rack" device shows that those outputs are active. (There's a little yellow "LED" by the jacks.)

I then hook the output of a simple Subtractor synth directly to one of those ADAT audio output jacks and start playback of a simple line of notes that I've recorded for the Subtractor.

Whenever the Subtractor is sending audio, the signal coming in from the ES-6 (a test tone coming from one of my eurorack modules) chokes. When the Subtractor is silent, the test tone comes through the ES-6 into Reason and sounds perfect -- but a Subtractor audio signal attempting to reach the ES-3 both turns off the nice red light in the ES-3 and chokes the output from the ES-6.

I don't think this is user error, but I could be wrong. My first question is, are there things I can do to test further? My second question is, is my ES-3 toast? My third question is, assuming it's malfunctioning, can it be repaired, and if so, where would I send it to be repaired?
os
I've never heard of a fault like that before.

Let's test the cables and the PreSonus first. Take an ADAT cable from the PreSonus ADAT out and plug it into the PreSonus ADAT in. Repeating your test with the virtual instrument, see if you can play its audio out of the ADAT input and listen to it come back in the ADAT input.

Repeat for both ADAT cables.
midiguru
os wrote:
I've never heard of a fault like that before.

Let's test the cables and the PreSonus first. Take an ADAT cable from the PreSonus ADAT out and plug it into the PreSonus ADAT in. Repeating your test with the virtual instrument, see if you can play its audio out of the ADAT input and listen to it come back in the ADAT input.

Repeat for both ADAT cables.

Good suggestion -- thanks. (The forum didn't send me an email notifying me that you had answered. Sorry for the delayed response.)

I get the same malfunction with the patch you suggested, using either cable. This strongly suggests that the problem is not in the ES-3, it's in the PreSonus. Yet weirdly, the clock signal from the PreSonus still gets through to the ES-3 -- or at least, I'm assuming that that has to happen in order for the ES-3 to clock the ES-6 properly.

The red light glows pleasantly in the output. I tried cleaning dust out of the jack with a handy brush, but that didn't help.

I have now reinstalled the PreSonus driver (and updated the firmware). The problem persists. I now suspect a hardware malfunction in the PreSonus 1818.
midiguru
For whatever reason, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I reinstalled the old "legacy" driver for the PreSonus, and I'm now able to get audio from the computer into the modular via the ES-3 and then out again via the ES-6.

The weird thing (not a big problem) is the level matching. To avoid clipping the ADAT signal, I have to throttle down Reason's audio signals to about 10% of their usual healthy level.

Insert happy face here.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1