MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Boo hoo hoo
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Boo hoo hoo
parasitk
So it's that time of the month again - time to rearrange my modular!

While doing so I discovered this:

On my Oakley/Krisp Little Lag. Seems to have been working fine though!

But what I did next is worse - I was removing the power cable from my Bananalogue VCS (I had to) and snapped the fucking clip!

I'm so pissed. But when I put the module back in I connected the cable (which is pretty snug) and put a small piece of tape there to hold it together until I can do something a little more permanent about it.

I also got my two 281 boards from Mike Peake today, so that's something good! SlayerBadger!
Cybananna
yea, that sucks. Luckily none of it is a big repair. Certainly frustrating and puts an OH SHIT look on your face! jawdrop angry
parasitk
Yeah the VCS thing isnt the end of the world, but did it have to happen to what has become kind of a rare and sought after module? Why couldn't the clip on my Splitter break or something? very frustrating razz
Cybananna
that's true. I'd be bothered by that too. ...at least the PCB didn't break! eek!

I need to get a VCS one of these days... I missed out on them used like 3 times this year.
K9Mike
The 2 black (center) wires on the frac (Blacet style) .156 connectors are both ground connections. It's nice having redundant connections, but as you found out, having only one connected works just fine. (Would have been less fine if the frayed ground wire had contacted either the + or - 15V wires or something on the PC board. smile )

As far as the friction lock power connectors... unless you move your modular around a lot or otherwise subject it to a lot of vibration, those friction lock connectors are overkill. Sometimes even when you *want* to remove them they are hard to get off. There is normally more than enough friction without the 'clip' to keep the power connector connected.

If it really bothers you, those .156" power connector headers are $0.11 each. If you are good with a soldering iron and doing rework, would take but a few minutes to replace. But like I said, unless you 'tour' with your modular, the friction lock clip really isn't necessary. Definitely not worth stressing about. smile

- Mike
parasitk
K9Mike wrote:
The 2 black (center) wires on the frac (Blacet style) .156 connectors are both ground connections. It's nice having redundant connections, but as you found out, having only one connected works just fine. (Would have been less fine if the frayed ground wire had contacted either the + or - 15V wires or something on the PC board. smile )

Good to know, thanks!

K9Mike wrote:
But like I said, unless you 'tour' with your modular, the friction lock clip really isn't necessary.

Actually, that's exactly what I will be doing! And I've seen things shake loose in a rack after riding around in a trailer for 11 hours. grin
fluxmonkey
i have pulled the plastic part of those headers off of the pins, altho it is a pretty snug fit. it might (with some care) be possible to remove the old plastic w/out unsoldering the pins, and then slide a new plastic part on.

but as said, those locking headers are overkill... even touring, i wouldm't be overly concerned... and even if it does loosen up it's an easy fix. i mostly use them because they help enforce polarity, rather than for secure connections.

b
parasitk
Thanks everyone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1