MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Q106A - help a noob understand linear and exponential
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Q106A - help a noob understand linear and exponential
Voltage_Controller
Hi,

On the market for an oscillator, and checking out the 106A. Can you help me grok the value / meaning of this:

"the Q106A provides AC/DC switching of linear and exponential frequency inputs."

How does this add value so the system? I have a basic single voice set-up in MU - (VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, etc) that I frankenstein with a bugbrand synthvoice +phenol.

Thanks!
ranix
the switch switches a capacitor into the path to decouple any dc offset from the signal, for using if you want AC modulation
cornutt
The 1V/octave input is the one that makes it scale notes properly; that's the place where you will usually want to connect the CV from your keyboard or MIDI converter. The Q106 also has an exponential input that is scalable with a knob; you can use that one to experiment with microtone scales. The linear inputs are for doing "proper" FM that conforms to the mathematics.

The 106A has the switches that you can use to block DC offsets in the control voltages input to the linear inputs and the scalable exponential input. That could be a convenience if you're using a signal as an FM input and it contains a DC offset for some reason.
Voltage_Controller
Thanks u/cornutt and u/ranix!
Rex Coil 7
ranix wrote:
the switch switches a capacitor into the path to decouple any dc offset from the signal, for using if you want AC modulation

cornutt wrote:
The 1V/octave input is the one that makes it scale notes properly; that's the place where you will usually want to connect the CV from your keyboard or MIDI converter. The Q106 also has an exponential input that is scalable with a knob; you can use that one to experiment with microtone scales. The linear inputs are for doing "proper" FM that conforms to the mathematics.

The 106A has the switches that you can use to block DC offsets in the control voltages input to the linear inputs and the scalable exponential input. That could be a convenience if you're using a signal as an FM input and it contains a DC offset for some reason.
Awe hells bells! So I should have addressed that (added switches/caps) to my VCO panels when I designed them?

The jacks marked ".X." and "..X.." (Exponential input 1, and Exp in 2, respectively) and the corresponding toggle switches that provide "A/Off/B" choices for FM sources (marked "X1" and "X2" top/center of the panel) should have had those options built in with the addition of AC/DC toggles?

("X3" and "X..." are the scalable expo inputs/switches/pots).

Dang me! Seems like I missed a great opportunity.

It's always somethin'
(Roseanna Roseannadanna ... Saturday Night Live, Gilda Radner, 1970s).

cool
hsosdrum
cornutt wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 1V/octave control input the exponential one? If you used linear voltage for keyboard control you'd need something like 500V to span all 12 octaves.

Edit: Now that I re-read your post I think you got it right.
ranix
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Awe hells bells! So I should have addressed that (added switches/caps) to my VCO panels when I designed them?

I don't find that to be a missing feature in my own system. There are lots of ways to remove a DC offset without designing it into the panel. When I saw it I assumed Roger or one of the customers he's close to had a specific need for that and it was included as a feature.
JohnLRice
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
The jacks marked ".X." and "..X.." (Exponential input 1, and Exp in 2, respectively) and the corresponding toggle switches that provide "A/Off/B" choices for FM sources (marked "X1" and "X2" top/center of the panel) should have had those options built in with the addition of AC/DC toggles?

Hey Mr. Coil, I'm not sure but it might be possible to "sneak" the feature in by replacing the level pots with pots that have built in push/pull switches? hmmm.....
Rex Coil 7
JohnLRice wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

Hey Mr. Coil, I'm not sure but it might be possible to "sneak" the feature in by replacing the level pots with pots that have built in push/pull switches? hmmm.....
Yer wun fart smeller! Uh ... smart feller! Good idea, I'll think it over for sure.
Rex Coil 7
ranix wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:

I don't find that to be a missing feature in my own system. There are lots of ways to remove a DC offset without designing it into the panel. When I saw it I assumed Roger or one of the customers he's close to had a specific need for that and it was included as a feature.
This is very true. I suppose I could either go with the switch/pots, as well as work out putting the cap/switch between the source and the destination.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1