MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Taking the 5U plunge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Taking the 5U plunge
krisamadhi
Im a heavy Eurorack user but Here is what I am planning for a 5U
Any words of advice ?

https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/631025

Dave Peck
A few things:

1. Consider getting a Happy Nerding Super Sawtor instead of the Cynthia version. You get two separate supersaw functions in one module (but only in the MU version, not in the Euro version) and the Happy Nerding module is currently in production while the Cynthia stuff is long out of production.

2. Regarding the Twin Peak filter, Hordijk modules are not available as individual modules, you have to buy a triple-module-panel with some combination of three modules. Yeah : /

3. You have a Moon Quantizer controller module, but no quantizer. The controller doesn't do anything without the quantizer.
Dave Peck
.....also, if this is intended to serve as a stand alone modular, you'll need several more utility modules (mixers, attenuverters etc.). If you're going to be using it as an extention to an existing Euro modular and have lots of Euro utilities, then you're good.
ualslosar
Looks like you've selected alot of good equipment.

I'm not sure if the Yusynth CV Recorder is available anymore (perhaps on ebay)?
krisamadhi
Thanks for the input !

Notes taken SlayerBadger!

Maybe I can get my friend to build me a
PH01II Super Synthesis for 5U.

updated https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/631025
MrNezumi
You might want to consider the Moon Dual Oscillator Expander. It gives you sync, linear fm, and a bunch more wave outputs.

And if you need more room for something else, you should lose a filter (or two).
krisamadhi
MrNezumi
Thank you
JohnLRice
Welcome to 5U krisamadhi! w00t

A couple thoughts to consider:

* the clock division switch on the STG sequencers doesn't do anything without the STG Time Buffer module which requires a sync24 input. If you don't have anything that generates sync24 there are MIDI to sync24 converter boxes I think. I think I also read that STG was going to add a MIDI input to the Time Buffer module but don't quote me on that.

* replace the Synthesizers.com Q962 sequential switch with the Moon Modular 564 sequential divider switch or STG Switch or COTK C 962C? Sure, they all cost about twice as much but all have some very interesting and more advanced features.

* Having both the Gate Math and Euclidean Bi-Clock Sequencer in this system might be a little much but . . .maybe not? spinning
Voltage_Controller
eek! MU has really come a long way. I am going to save this rack to show my friends who constantly bemoan the MU lacks function density! Amazing system - the only challenge you have is the need for multiple power supplies... but I take it that is not an issue for you....
JohnLRice
Voltage_Controller wrote:
the only challenge you have is the need for multiple power supplies..
hmmm..... You may be right but at a glance I'm not seeing why? seriously, i just don't get it
krisamadhi
Thanks everyone I might have to step back and think this one over more.

I would like 2 cases like the.
QCP22 - 22-Space Portable Cabinet
Hoping to have power connections on the back to free up space on the front.

I like euclidian sequences like the Club of the Knobs C 969

I would like 2 to 3 Quantized sequencers
Looking at the Grp R24 Analog.

I think the other things I got covered.
https://www.modulargrid.net/d/racks/view/631025

Any suggestions are welcome
Thanks so much
JohnLRice
krisamadhi wrote:
I would like 2 cases like the QCP22 - 22-Space Portable Cabinet. Hoping to have power connections on the back to free up space on the front.
With the QCP22 you can DIY power connections to be on the back or side. I did mine on the side:

There is also a new comer case challenger to the QCP22 by FreeState FX and should be available from Noisebug fairly soon. Also 22 MU and comes with a lid. The master case will have a large linear power supply, buss boards and an AC input module with DC output connectors for additional slave cases. The slave cases just have the buss boards and a DC input module with some active multiples.

Regarding sequencers: I see you've switched to the GRP R24, awesome choice as it has more features and bang-for-the-buck then any other 5U knoby step sequencer I know of! cool Consider one thing though that the R24 only has one clock input. This isn't a problem for a majority of uses since the GRP also has excellent internal clock dividers and ratcheting etc so all three rows can run at very different rates if you want but, it's all based off the internal master clock or the one external clock in (analog or MIDI). If you want to get the most out of the cool external clocks and dividers you are considering then maybe staying with the STG sequencers might work better for you or a Moon Modular 569 sequencer?
suitandtieguy
i think you shouldn't buy _anything_ until after Knobcon and we can have a deep dive while you're here Guinness ftw!

welcome to mu-mu land.
johny_gtr
If I start MU system from a scratch and have a nice euro system I will buy:

1. Good filters - filters in MU are not so complex like in euro but sounds very solid and warm.
- one Moog filter (Synth-Werk or Mos-Lab)
- one Korg MS-20 filter (Definitely Megaohm MA-20, my most using filter all times)
- one OTA filter (Corsynth which I like or maybe Oakley COTA which is also good)
- Moog CP mixer clone (Synth-Werk or Mos-Lab)
- VCO: Synth-Werk or Mos-Lab for me (ML 921 are stable, SW 901 are 'organic')
- some good effects like Oakley Deep phaser.
- ENV - I have Mos-Lab 911 which are good and very simple. I hope I will get my STG super-envelope one day (hope in April, waiting so far).

For midi-to-cv I highly recommended Kenton or Expert Sleepers. Kenton for right translating of legato arps, Expert Sleepers for stable and 0 lag notes (for multitracking).

Sequencers are much more interesting in euro. I have Mos-Lab 960 and like it as a thing with gorgeous lamps and controls. Digital effects are mush more interesting in euro.

Just my IHMO, 0.02, personal vision.

About cabs - I did all (8/16 units) case by myself. It's pretty easy and fun.
hamildad
I am waiting till after Superbooth to get a chance to talk with some 5U manufacturers and see if they can convince me...

(spoiler: they will convince me)
EATyourGUITAR
Dave Peck wrote:

2. Regarding the Twin Peak filter, Hordijk modules are not available as individual modules, you have to buy a triple-module-panel with some combination of three modules. Yeah : /

Not %100 true. There are used modules sold as singles before he made the 3 module rule. It is extremely rare that you see one for sale though. It is true that you can not order singles new.
EATyourGUITAR
As for panel density or functional density, after you sell your .com and RA moog for something with more panel density, you then have an incoherent mess. MOTM has a grid system like Serge. .com is just not so dense most of the time. Roger listened to customer requests to develop the second wave of .com. in my opinion I think it ruins the aesthetic of the old .com. If I cared about panel density, I would just use eurorack exclusively. .com and all 5U needs to retain the identity it has as a large format or it will no longer be attractive to people who want low panel density.
ranix
I like having the dense panels available. Sometimes you have a specific need for a subset of a module's capabilities in a certain slot.

In another thread we were talking about ways to sync and phase shift oscillators with respect to each other. I keep an extra q106 oscillator behind a 1u panel in the perfect spot in my case for it, so I can use it to synchronize other oscillators. It's perfect. But I wouldn't expect other people to necessarily want a 1u q106.

I mostly agree with you though.
Dave Peck
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:

Not %100 true. There are used modules sold as singles before he made the 3 module rule. It is extremely rare that you see one for sale though. It is true that you can not order singles new.

...I actually have four individual Hordijk modules in my modular, from when he first started building modules. I can't speak for everyone who may own these rare things, but mine certainly aren't available wink
ranix
the sidecar for the STG envelope adds some voltage control for each of the ADSR parameters. I think voltage controlling an envelope is a basic thing you'll probably want to do. YMMV and you might not need two of them
cornutt
Welcome to the 5U world! As you've discovered, there's a lot more to it these days than just VCO-VCF-VCA. Hope you have fun with it.

The only comment I can make is that the layout you currently have on modulargrid looks kind of random... is this something specific to the way you work? Or are you just trying to figure out which modules you want right now?
EPTC
krisamadhi wrote:
Im a heavy Eurorack user but Here is what I am planning for a 5U
Any words of advice ?

Ye gods - I love the proposed rack - but that's a LOT of food to jump into on your first run into 5U. I'm wondering, do you mean to acquire all of that at once? If so, I'll suggest to do it one at a time. Just get power and that Mankato filter to start, maybe add the Euclidean sequencer, too. Maybe the FX Capacitor as well (as it might sell out). I say this since you mention you already have eurorack and I'm guessing a bunch of noises, voices, and envelopes/VCAs to throw into the filter and sequence with the euclidean and try out effects and CV with the FX.

If you have an existing eurorack set-up the joy of 5U can be seeing how much sturdier each module is compared to eurorack, but they also interface perfectly with eurorack, too, most of the time.

So, I'd just grab one module at a time and then get another. Otherwise you might not see the value and personality of each piece. Welcome to 5U, too. I agree, it's a much nicer format.
Stereotactixxx
What strikes me most about this system is the one of each approach. Have you considered the advantages of having at least two of some modules e.g., for stereo or duophony.
krisamadhi
Thanks again everyone.
KNOBCON!!!!

But what I am looking to have.

3 Osc
4 Filters
4 Env
4 VCA
3 Step Seq (or the GRP R24)
Quantizer
Attenuators
Noise
S/H
LFO
Wooglebug or something to that effect.
Mixer
Phaser and Effects
Midi to CV clock

I love funk rhythms , Euclidian seq.
I must be able to FM ! Hence the FM aid and the through zero.

and try to get it all into 2 - 22 portable cases MY ASS IS BLEEDING

This is my eurorack case
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/575502
pugix
Stereotactixxx wrote:
What strikes me most about this system is the one of each approach. Have you considered the advantages of having at least two of some modules e.g., for stereo or duophony.

One of each on modular grid can be a good memory tool. You need not buy everything at once. Once you find a few filters you like the best, you may want to duplicate them. You may even want four of the same type of VCA channel. My approach has always been to have modules in pairs, both for stereo use and also for troubleshooting. If one starts malfunctioning you can compare it with the good one.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2