MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trout Mask Replica
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Trout Mask Replica
Nelson Baboon
there is lots of great music in the world....

but this is just so, so good.
thetwlo
indeed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUxD2LkYb0
Howie_Doodat
Absolute rambunctious hot garbage. 5/5 bloody stars
crawling wind
cretaceousear
yep - it's the dog's bollocks mascara

I remember many years ago my mate's older brother liked it a lot and would play it, but my mate couldn't manage more than a track or two - about ten years ago I decided to work at it.
Was going to post that Andreyev guy's video analysis too - he does interesting pieces on other 20th c. composers.
knows
I think it is a great album, but my favorite is Lick My Decals Off Baby. The instrumental version of trout mask from the grow fins box set is a fantastic listen, made from band rehearsals, without beefheart.
woVERTICES
Yep, great stuff...I also think LICK MY DECAL OFF BABY is his best...Also, give a listen to Dock at the Radar Station...I saw the Captain live around the time of that album and it was INCREDIBLE..I spoke to him; he also kissed my wife...watta player!
Best
John
memes_33
knows wrote:
I think it is a great album, but my favorite is Lick My Decals Off Baby.

woVERTICES wrote:
Yep, great stuff...I also think LICK MY DECAL OFF BABY is his best...

i agree with these two as well.

i read drumbo's biography of don a few years ago, where he details the insanity that went down at their cult-like house during the making of trout mask- pretty crazy shit even if only half of it is true.
teamhobson
crawling wind wrote:

This guys videos are great, man. He's done a bunch of cult classic and classical analysis that should be checked out!

Love Beefheart, Love TMR.

Only recently heard the first Beefheart recorded release from 1966 - Diddy Wah Diddy. A Bo Diddley cover that is far straighter than anything in his later years. Despite this you can tell he was destined for more than straight blues music. That baseline is outrageous...

[video]https://youtu.be/yXXFj5wzLFA[/video]
crawling wind
I agree - Decals is my favorite also. Somewhere in my CDR box, I have a version of Decals without vocals. It's rad, but lots of tape hiss...

knows wrote:
I think it is a great album, but my favorite is Lick My Decals Off Baby. The instrumental version of trout mask from the grow fins box set is a fantastic listen, made from band rehearsals, without beefheart.
Howie_Doodat
gotta throw this in the mix..

scuto
TMR reformats one's neurons. To what? Well, ya gotta try it to find out.

But also LMDOB: as a small child "Peon" was played often in the household. Still my favorite.
Umcorps
I'm an old git. TMR is fundamental to me. I saw Beefheart twice live in the early 70's. Up to that point I'd imagined that with TMR I was listening to some kind of gozo free improv. What blew me away with both those concerts was how they performed tracks from it that were note perfect. Both times. I still don't know how you can be so tight and yet so loose all at the same time.
ignatius
it's just so weird and good and strange and bad and good all combined. like just off enough and just on enough. it's bold.
Moskowitz
It used to be good to sing that way - how could have lost our way so badly?
jensenluxvid
Nobody can touch TMR. Nothing else like it.
medium Rob
US Maple TALKER isn't entirely unlike it..
scuto
medium Rob wrote:
US Maple TALKER isn't entirely unlike it..

Ooo, yes. A good thing to try out for fans of TMR, indeed. Talker grew on me, and I find it quite rewarding.
crawling wind
Rustic Hinge 1970

cptnal
Fast and bulbous! One of my favourite albums ever, after taking some 15 years (on and off) to "get it".
Krankenwagen
Love this album.

First heard it when I was about 12 years old. It was always featured in "Top 100 albums ever made" lists so eventually I checked it out. I have to admit that I didn't get it. Why are they all playing out of tune and out of time? Can they even play guitar? What's this nonsense poetry all about?

Going back several years later after diversifying my music tastes and getting into progressively more experimental and weird music (Going from IDM and Post-Rock to early electronic music, krautrock and no-wave.) it made perfect sense and I wondered how I ever dismissed it.

You'll be glad to know that the spirit of Beefheart is alive and well here in Japan. There's a small niche of musicians who worship and the alter of Van Vliet.

Oshiri Pen Penz

Bossston Cruizing Mania

Kukan Gendai
thebends9
Very excited for that TMR reissue. Thought it was initially an April fools day joke.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
I just watched a 50-minute long documentary about Captain Beefheart, and I gotta say, I'm sold. Not sure I'd make a steady diet of it, but it's pretty damned interesting music. And there's absolutely no doubting his conviction to his art.

In fact, upon hearing the amazing track called "Bat Chain Puller" I now feel compelled to download everything I can find.
Umcorps
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

In fact, upon hearing the amazing track called "Bat Chain Puller" I now feel compelled to download everything I can find.

May I recommend..

Predates TMR. 1968. Side one track one. Imagine how it must have sounded at the time.

A lot of the rest of the album is spoiled by crappy production with a (then novelty) phaser effect slathered all over several tracks without Beefheart's knowledge or agreement. But there is still some excellent stuff that escapes. And he finds time to take a dig at the Beatles.

You can hear that TMR is just over the next horizon.
de_raaf
yeah trout mask replica, a few years ago i listened to like 6 times in a row, it came more alive, not something you do everyday,
Lick my decals off, baby is also great
doc at the radar station is a great one that came a bit later
that the ones i listen the most too
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2