MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vidiot, Sync, and Clocking Eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Vidiot, Sync, and Clocking Eurorack
NathansModular
I was just gifted a Vidiot. I had recently gotten into Eurorack and its been the happiest period of time for me in many many years. I have a few questions for any generous soul who wants to guide a poor (eurorack...) lamb:

I was thinkinking about the square wave video rate output on the vidiot. Am I at risk of damaging my audio modules if I fed that (or the sync) as a clock or modulation source? If so is there any general advice such as dont do this with analog or digital or only these chips will be capable of it. I assume that almost all digital equipment audio modules will not be able to process at that frequency but I am more concerned with doing damage than a failure. Any other dangerous mixes to not experiment with? First thing I plan on doing is using my attenuverters and vcas with the video oscillators for ring modulation and amplitude modulation.

I am a little bit too excited. Thanks for any help.

*edited for more clarity*

*removed question about sync that was not clear enough to help anyone in the future**
Matos
Have you watched this video by lzx? It explains the basics which might clear up some of your questions.
https://youtu.be/kpeRcRG7xFs
NathansModular
Matos wrote:
Have you watched this video by lzx? It explains the basics which might clear up some of your questions.
https://youtu.be/kpeRcRG7xFs


I had seen it. You were right though it really cleared up the sync issue for me seeing it again after reflecting on it. I was confused because their is only one sync out on the vidiot.
Matos
A module like the video cortex syncs to the video coming in. The vidiot also syncs to the video coming in. With video you want one master sync source and anything feed into that to be synced to it. Modules like the prismatic ray and shapeshifter sync up to the video cortex via a pcb rca connection. But other modules like the doorway and pendulum don’t need sync. You should be fine trying to feed lzx outputs to audio modules. Most can’t handle the frequency range so you only see the low frequency output.
NathansModular
Matos wrote:
A module like the video cortex syncs to the video coming in. The vidiot also syncs to the video coming in. With video you want one master sync source and anything feed into that to be synced to it. Modules like the prismatic ray and shapeshifter sync up to the video cortex via a pcb rca connection. But other modules like the doorway and pendulum don’t need sync. You should be fine trying to feed lzx outputs to audio modules. Most can’t handle the frequency range so you only see the low frequency output.


Thanks! I am excited to test and see if any of my gear can do more than just modulate this stuff! If a few of my utilities work I will be a very happy boy.

I saw on Reverb pitsburgh modular had bought some lzx gear for testing. Either that means dual purpose modules or Pittsburgh lzx format video modules and thats something to be excited for.
monads
Matos wrote:
A module like the video cortex syncs to the video coming in.....With video you want one master sync source and anything feed into that to be synced to it. Modules like the prismatic ray and shapeshifter sync up to the video cortex via a pcb rca connection. But other modules like the doorway and pendulum don’t need sync.....


Should probably clarify a little. For sync, yes Prismatic Ray requires but it's not via an RCA connection. It syncs via installation on the same power bus as VC. There's also a Sync input on the front panel, but I'm not sure how to use. Is there a "Shapeshifter" module?? The "Shapechanger" module does not require sync. Other modules requiring sync: Navigator, War of the Ants.
Matos
Yes. You are correct. I responded from bed late at night.
monads
Matos wrote:
Yes. You are correct. I responded from bed late at night.


No worries! I've done that too hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group