MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ardcore - trying to load my first Template
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Author Ardcore - trying to load my first Template
globalwm
Machine: OSX 10.11

Downloaded and installed Dev software and 2.4.2 driver.

Selecting Board: Arduino/Genuino UNO (from Tools menu)

Selecting Port: /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port (the only one that appears) <<< this appears to be my issue.

Loaded a sketch: AC01_Template

Upload

Archiving built core (caching) in: /var/folders/k3/vjzx3f957r5fwbjvd9j1h_980000gn/T/arduino_cache_313785/ core/core_arduino_avr_uno_51f02b7210b938436b779d1c032618e1.a
Sketch uses 3028 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 220 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1828 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdu de.conf -v -patmega328p -carduino -P/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/var/folders/k3/vjzx3f957r5fwbjvd9j1h_980000gn/T/arduino_bui ld_411833/AC01_Template.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Jan 17 2017 at 12:01:35
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdud e.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/globalem/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
Using Programmer : arduino
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

Looking at the Doc referenced above, I may have an issue with my Port? The Troubleshooting doc states:

"On the Mac, the serial port should be something like /dev/tty.usbmodem621 (for the Uno or Mega 2560) or /dev/tty.usbserial-A02f8e (for older, FTDI-based boards). "

Any ideas?
flx
globalwm wrote:

Selecting Port: /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port (the only one that appears) <<< this appears to be my issue.

"On the Mac, the serial port should be something like /dev/tty.usbmodem621 (for the Uno or Mega 2560) or /dev/tty.usbserial-A02f8e (for older, FTDI-based boards). "

Yes, that's an issue. Reinstall Arduino, reinstall the FTDI Drivers (make sure you downloaded the correct ones), restart your computer and try it again.

EDIT: I attached the FTDI driver I recently installed on my Mac to this post.
globalwm
flx wrote:

Yes, that's an issue. Reinstall Arduino, reinstall the FTDI Drivers (make sure you downloaded the correct ones), restart your computer and try it again.

EDIT: I attached the FTDI driver I recently installed on my Mac to this post.

Thank you! I did install 2.4.2 and when that didn't work, I took to looking online for a solution and then found out that in news versions of OSX, Apple starting including a FTDI driver that may be computing with this one. It is loaded in /System/Library/Extensions folder instead - which is protected.

I then tried renaming Apple's built-in FTDI (AppleUSBFTDI.kext) driver (using crsutil disable commands issued in recovery mode), rename the file with extension from: .kext to: .disabled and the turning back on with csrutil enable) in Recovery Mode using the Terminal.

See this thread for reference:
https://superuser.com/questions/1135730/how-to-release-reset-serial-po rt-ftdi-devices-mac-osx

Question 1: What version of OSX are you on? I'm on 10.11 (El Capitan) and from what I have researched online, many other people are having this issue with their Arduino boards universally (not just SnazzyFX users).

Question 2: Did you install the driver first before the Arduino Developer App? Does that even matter?

Thank you again - I think I'm close. I just want to take a break before I attempt again.

ps. There was also a hint that some boards were manufactured in China and required a different driver - I explored that route too and it was a dead end that resulted in my machine not booting and had to reinstall the OS in recovery mode.
flx
Hm, I'm running Sierra 10.12.4 and when I had the issue once, I just reinstalled everything and it worked.
globalwm
flx wrote:
Hm, I'm running Sierra 10.12.4

Curious, can you run this statement:

ls -l | grep USB

from these two directories?

/System/Library/Extensions
/Library/Extensions

for me?

Thank you....
flx
Sure

/System/Library/Extensions :

AppleMIDIUSBDriver.plugin
AppleOSXUSBNCM.kext
AppleUSBACM.kext
AppleUSBAudio.kext
AppleUSBCDC.kext
AppleUSBDMM.kext
AppleUSBDisplays.kext
AppleUSBECM.kext
AppleUSBEEM.kext
AppleUSBEthernet.kext
AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext
AppleUSBFTDI.kext
AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
AppleUSBNCM.kext
AppleUSBNetworking.kext
AppleUSBTopCase.kext
AppleUSBWCM.kext
AppleUSBiBridge.kext
IOUSBAttachedSCSI.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBHostFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
IOUSBMassStorageDriver.kext

/Library/Extensions:

BJUSBLoad.kext
CIJUSBLoad.kext
FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
globalwm
flx wrote:

/System/Library/Extensions :

AppleUSBFTDI.kext

/Library/Extensions:

FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

Interesting to see both drivers co-existing.

Ok, I think I need to find Arduino's Preferences file and purge everything and install again.

Thank you (again)
flx
globalwm wrote:

Ok, I think I need to find Arduino's Preferences file and purge everything and install again.

Thank you (again)

No problem, let me know how it goes.
globalwm
flx wrote:
No problem, let me know how it goes.

I manualy purged the prefs file (and the install folder) and started again. I also installed on another Mac (also running 10.11) but still no luck. I can see the new driver installed though in: /Library/Extensions:

MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ pwd
/Library/Extensions
MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ ls -l |grep USB
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 May 9 2017 FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$

When I do this, I have the Ardcore in my lap connected via USB cable (I have tried three different cables also). Does it need to be racked and hooked up to Eurorack power? I read that when you connect via USB, that disconnects.

The new driver, though present, appears not to be loaded:

MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ kextstat | grep FTDI
<nothing>

Manually loaded it displays:
MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext
MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ kextstat | grep FTDI
164 0 0xffffff7f82fd9000 0x7000 0x7000 com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver (2.4.2) E16D9540-AF63-36AD-94C4-B1164FBD6078 <135 41 5 4 3 1>

However, when I launch the IDE, nothing displays but the “Bluetooth-Incoming-Port” - which is the only driver loaded in /dev/:

MacBook-Pro-13:Extensions anthony$ cd /dev
MacBook-Pro-13:dev anthony$ ls -l |grep cu
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 17, 1 Apr 1 06:47 cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
flx
globalwm wrote:

When I do this, I have the Ardcore in my lap connected via USB cable (I have tried three different cables also). Does it need to be racked and hooked up to Eurorack power?

I actually do have mine racked an powered by the Eurorack PSU. eek!
globalwm
flx wrote:
I actually do have mine racked an powered by the Eurorack PSU. eek!

Well, I gave up - might have had a defective unit since it was purchased from a retailer as a "demo" unit. No lights, nothing when plugged in.

I worked with their Tech Support and after I described everything that I did and followed their instructions - they offered to issue me a return for credit. So off it went today. :(

I really liked the idea of this unit but sad that I couldn't get it to respond. I learned a few things along the way which is good though.

Thank you for the assistance and trying to step me through using this module.
flx
Oh no! That sucks. Are you going to get another one?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> SNAZZY FX  
Page 1 of 1