MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel keyboard mistake.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel keyboard mistake.
mousegarden
I bought an Easel with the 218 and now really regret it. I know that I would be using the 223 more if I had gone for that option. I haven't used the touch plate keyboard at all, only very occasionally for it's sample and hold/ARP functions.
Is it possible to take the 218 out and just replace it with a 223 and it's controller? I'm contacting KMR about a possible swap.
weinglas
mousegarden wrote:
I bought an Easel with the 218 and now really regret it. I know that I would be using the 223 more if I had gone for that option. I haven't used the touch plate keyboard at all, only very occasionally for it's sample and hold/ARP functions.
Is it possible to take the 218 out and just replace it with a 223 and it's controller? I'm contacting KMR about a possible swap.

Should work. There are two power connections in the Easel. One for the 208 and one for the 218. If you don't use the 218 you could use it for the 223e. The tactile surface gets it's power from the 223e. But I never tried it.

At about 0:18 in this video you can see the Easel busboard.

One word of caution: I don't think the 223e makes a lot of sense without preset manager. At least it is no fun to program it. After that the one preset slot might be enough for you.
mousegarden
weinglas wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

Should work. There are two power connections in the Easel. One for the 208 and one for the 218. If you don't use the 218 you could use it for the 223e. The tactile surface gets it's power from the 223e. But I never tried it.

One word of caution: I don't think the 223e makes a lot of sense without preset manager. At least it is no fun to program it. After that the one preset slot might be enough for you.

Thanks, I have the preset manager, I was thinking of getting a 4U boat and putting the 223 in that. I can see a slippery slope appearing here.... hihi
Minimoog56
Maybe you are not an easel guy.
mutierend
mousegarden wrote:

Thanks, I have the preset manager, I was thinking of getting a 4U boat and putting the 223 in that. I can see a slippery slope appearing here.... hihi

Which preset manager do you have? Only the 206e and 225e can store presets for the 223e. The iProgram card can't.

If you take the 218 out and put a 223e in your Easel, you'll lose MIDI capability. Other than that, it fits perfectly. I have an Easel K and I took the 223e out and put a 218 in.

Like others have said here, the 223e is overkill for the Easel and without presets, it's a pain. The 223e stores one preset internally, so you can program the four radios and just swap cables (Todd Barton's idea), but it's not as convenient.

Maybe you should consider selling your Easel and getting a LEM4 case with the 261e, 266e, 281e, and 292e, and a passive 4U for the 223e and controller.
mutierend
Wait a sec, I'm confused. In another thread, you're saying you want to add a 218 to your Easel and put the 223e in another case. Which is it?
hmmm.....
mousegarden
mutierend wrote:
Wait a sec, I'm confused. In another thread, you're saying you want to add a 218 to your Easel and put the 223e in another case. Which is it?
hmmm.....

I don't know!

Right now I think I can loose the 218 that came with my Easel, and replace it with a 223e (god, these f*****g numbers drive me crazy)
But, I suppose I could keep the 218 and put the 223e in an external boat, that's all I'm saying, and I can't make up my mind right now.
If I was to get a bigger boat, I could then ad additional modules as well as the 223e, I don't want to sell my Easel, I like it, it's a great form factor, and I couldn't imagine being without it.
Minimoog56
Sounds like you are not gelling with your easel - go with the flow - 223e is an expensive setup and what you are proposing is not going to improve the ergonomics or ease of use because of the programming requirements and lack of presets. You may be better off trying a small 200r clone setup with 259/258r and a 281r/291r to start.
mousegarden
Minimoog56 wrote:
Sounds like you are not gelling with your easel - go with the flow - 223e is an expensive setup and what you are proposing is not going to improve the ergonomics or ease of use because of the programming requirements and lack of presets. You may be better off trying a small 200r clone setup with 259/258r and a 281r/291r to start.

No, I am "gelling with it" I'm just interested in what the 223 can do, that's all.
But, I feel like I did when I had an O-Coast, it's a bit of a one trick pony, albeit a very interesting one.
I find it forces you in a particular direction, even though I like the sounds I'm getting, they are all a bit in the same vein. I do find the flexibility and the traditional architecture of my Euro system more appealing.
search64
Listen to this:
https://podtail.com/podcast/ask-audio-synth-stories-podcast/synth-stor ies-006-kris-dirksen-on-quarry-buchla-mu/
mousegarden
search64 wrote:
Listen to this:
https://podtail.com/podcast/ask-audio-synth-stories-podcast/synth-stor ies-006-kris-dirksen-on-quarry-buchla-mu/

Thanks, I'll listen later, too many pop-ups there right now.
God my attention span is going down the pan as a result of YouTube, audio only is a bit of a challenge...

Dead Banana
sb
I’ve got a Skylab with 222e and an Easel. I tend to find that while full of amazing possibilities, the 222e requires so much effort to setup to potential that I never quite get there, and may as well have just used the 218.

Great thing about the Easel is it’s so immediate, you’re more likely to play it than spend time solving problems.
mousegarden
sb wrote:
I’ve got a Skylab with 222e and an Easel. I tend to find that while full of amazing possibilities, the 222e requires so much effort to setup to potential that I never quite get there, and may as well have just used the 218.

Great thing about the Easel is it’s so immediate, you’re more likely to play it than spend time solving problems.

Shame, as the 222e is a great idea, but maybe made too complicated.
I'm sticking with my 228 anyway, and I'm not in anyway dissapointed with my Easel, I'm having amazing fun with it, I just need more time to explore.
search64
mousegarden wrote:
search64 wrote:
Listen to this:

God my attention span is going down the pan as a result of YouTube, audio only is a bit of a challenge...

Dead Banana

I've not encountered a popup in ages. I've a deadly allergy to anything related to marketing and advertising (as Bill Hicks said, if you work in those areas: kill yourself), so I've come to use adblockers everywhere. I've even come to use adblockerblockerblockers since some pesky website are intent on bombarding me with nonsense that I'll literally never ever click or buy. You should get some.
mousegarden
search64 wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
search64 wrote:
Listen to this:

Dead Banana

I've not encountered a popup in ages. I've a deadly allergy to anything related to marketing and advertising (as Bill Hicks said, if you work in those areas: kill yourself), so I've come to use adblockers everywhere. I've even come to use adblockerblockerblockers since some pesky website are intent on bombarding me with nonsense that I'll literally never ever click or buy. You should get some.

I'm on an I pad, it's excellent at blocking everything, but that those talks have an annoying window tempting you to click on it as you're supposedly the lucky winner of some type of shit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1