MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MVIP / VIDIOT Comparison
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author MVIP / VIDIOT Comparison
EPTC
Was going to call this "MVIP vs Vidiot" but as I love both ideas I don't mean this to be a competition - Basically a question: Is there anything the Dave Jones MVIP can do that the Vidiot can not do?

I know MVIP came out some years prior to the Vidiot (and likely influenced it) but as the MVIP doesn't have its own power source, the Vidiot seems to be the more affordable of the two and much more feature packed, particularly with CV i/o.

Has anyone worked with both? I wonder if the answer is to get both, but as that would be in the $1200 valley for both devices, curious about a comparison of them. My main desire is to take in live video and process it for high color contrast and interface with CV.

Right now I'm leaning on getting a Vidiot, but for years I'd been considering the MVIP as my preferred choice. Vidiot being tabletop and not grouped into my eurorack makes it seem preferable, along with the interface itself offering more variety.

But I wonder: Can it do everything the MVIP can do, or is there on neat feature of the MVIP that's missing?

Thanks for any thoughts on either. (Respect to Dave Jones and LZX, too)
Agawell
if you check dave's website it looks like the mvip is discontinued...
EPTC
Agawell wrote:
if you check dave's website it looks like the mvip is discontinued...

Ah - Damn - Thank you. I didn't realize that. (I thought you could still pick one up at Analogue Haven)

Well I'm still interested in pros/cons. Here's to Dave coming out with his full video system, then!
Matos
The mvip is more of an external video prosessor. The vidiot is more of a video synth with keying and external processing. At this time the vidiot is the best and only standalone video synth. Errogenous tones has an module in the works that looks very promising.
shortsleeves
Matos wrote:
At this time the vidiot is the best and only standalone video synth.

I guess 3Trins owner could disagree… cool [edit] With regards to the Vidiot being the only one, that is.

Cheers,
Lukasz
EPTC
Matos wrote:
The mvip is more of an external video prosessor.

Ah, I hear you - Thank you for your post. But the Vidiot handles external video processing as well, right? Nearly every demo I've seen has used a camera as one of the inputs.
barto
MVIP only does video processing. where the Vidiot can process or generate. MVIP voltage scale is also like standard euro rack and not the 0-1v range of LZX stuff. for a standalone piece of gear, I'd probably choose the Vidiot since there is more options for experimentation and will augment a larger LZX system well if you plan on expanding in the future (you will)
shred
EPTC wrote:
Matos wrote:
The mvip is more of an external video prosessor.

Ah, I hear you - Thank you for your post. But the Vidiot handles external video processing as well, right? Nearly every demo I've seen has used a camera as one of the inputs.

yep, not my video but about 1:25 in you can see it processing external video. I've been mostly using a camera myself for the feedback fun. very versatile box!

moogboy
I had and used an MVIP extensively before my Vidiot came in the mail. Comparing the colorizers and effects that both are capable of, I prefer the Vidiot. The colorizer is a lot more fun to play around with, and the solarization and such is a lot easier to control with finer detail. I don't even care that the camera/video input is strictly black and white, it's still incredible and amazing as is.
Matos
The 3trinsrgb is great. I didn’t think they were available anymore prebuilt ( I got mine from bleeplabs. ) glad to hear they are still being made. I had two for awhile.
The vidiot does do external processing( I think I said that in my post
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 1