MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

to compose vs. to release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author to compose vs. to release
slumberjack
hi there!

i don't find this maybe to right subforum, if not please move the thread.

how does releasing or not releasing your music affect the studio work of you?

i had sort of a breakdown yesterday. working for two days on this composition, just recorderd the final take (which the linked file isn't) and having a long shower before attending to one of jojo mayer & nerve rare concerts around. i must have been under the water for almost 45 min, my toughts were running wild on the topic of me doing music. you know basically i'm a dj spinning to dance. having a nice collection of vinyl, i don't really have to buy new stuff, i can play out quality dance music from the last 25 years with ease and pleasure. i can play regularly if i want, i know enough people who like what i do.

but what is it with all the music i do in the studio? it's no really stuff a lot of people would consider good dance music, nor it fits into noise communitiy. its actually like living as demisexual and heteroflexibel dude: always going for girls but then still flirting with all the time, and after the initial shot is placed the interrest suddenly dissapears in an oddly sounding world of not wanting to take place in that obvious business. wanting and not wanting and not knowing what to want and wanting everything. if i would have to label it i'd call that 'neurotic dance music - NDM'. at least that's a description from a friend of mine. a proper trained musician. another one just mentioned 'neurotic', so after ten years music making non-stop i finally got genre to stick. my own one. how satisfying is that! (i'm ironic and honest at the same time).

where does this all leads? i do a lots of songs. lots of varienty. honestly i could run 5 alias. i'm working for a small dance label, i can put ep out there, which is a huge priveledge to me. sometime i put stuff out on my own label. if i find time and money to do so. then i reserved a bandcamp account to my name and i'd like to put albums of collected song out there. in fact i got a album mastered since august 2017 on my drive to load up. i'll do this later today. or maybe tomorrow. in fact i could release this every minute. i just have to drag and drop. so i'll do this next week, after work. and then you know, i working on a mix down for another album. since december i finished with post production. and yeah guess i need only one recording more tao finish the album of this wavetable project i startet a year ago. it's my affair of the heart and honestly it the best work of mine. then you know i already have enough songs to compile an ep and a following up album of the one in mixing stage (but now i think of this one that's it's not worth the effort, as well as the one already mastered is to crappy to show it to people). and with the recording i linked above it's just one more to choose from this realm of sound.

so then i wished me person to take my studio computer with to another place, sorting out what is it they want and then give it back to me with clear duties to do with which songs. unless this happens i feel totaly like drowing into all of this sounds and the interliked feeling to stories to them. or is it more like a balloon slipping out the hand of a child? there's this label 'game of life', i could send a few tracks to them, it maybe could fit. uwe schmidts / atom hearts sublabel for younger musicians followed me on twitter. but now i'm starting to think to much, this is all a coincidence, i mean after two or three people in my sourroundings are willing to talk with me about me music, who would actually care? i mean there's no feedback in the internet.
look at me i barely listen to other peoples music, rather than feel the need to exchange my toughts on it. the only comments around are for well know and famous people. and usually they go like 'OMG' 'loving' dis so much' 'ur my hero since day one' 'tripping so hanrd on this' 'lovely break' last but not least 'must have'.

now pardon me for this longer writings, these are actually only i few words compared to what i felt yesterday. and yeah you can see this also as a sign of confidence to this community. i spend time daily here and i'm amazed by friendly diversity and supportive tone here.

now my actual question would be, because i'm sure that me isn't alone with these thoughts between output and to put out somethings, the quest for relevance and how this all affects the composing / creative process at all.

you know what? now i order pizza.
thevegasnerve
Well, it’s certainly hard to create your own voice with all the product now available to us. It can feel as it’s all been done. I only listen to music from aspiring artists at this point, as I learn much more from my peers and want to support them. But yes, even when I do make music the question begs does anyone care? Well in the end, nobody does “you” better than yourself. Which means I guess to just play what you feel regardless of style. Taking out the idea of career opens this possibility up, meaning that our only chance at finding our voice is to remove as many filters (e.g., style, money, ego, admiration of gear) as we can.

Not sure if that helps or relates to your struggles.
dogoftears
i have about 7 unreleased albums of music for 4 project aliases.
but--
i think it's all brilliant stuff, and 100% plan on releasing it all. i just start to get really anal at the end, with the mix downs and mastering stuff. it's also very difficult to prioritize what should come out first.

my view is like this:
it's hard to release music-- you are competing against the entire history of recorded music, and it's daunting ("does any one really care?")
but
if you think you're stuff is really good, then please release it, so that it can hopefully inspire me and other people like me.

i would say there's another part that can be really stressful and intimidating, which is promoting the album properly after release. all that effort-- now you need to get people to listen to/buy it/download it. it's actually not that hard, but you have to put in the hours (unless your blessed to be on a label with a marketing and promotion budget of some kind, and an actual person in charge of such things-- bit rare these days for "us")

thoughts for the moment.
Hainbach
Many artists struggle with this problem, especially in the pseudo-feedback internet world we live in.

I get almost daily mails from people I have never met wanting feedback for their music. More than I can answer now, but I when I do I take the time to give honest and useful criticism. But on the internet its a toned down version of what I would say in person, because its a too difficile topic to discuss via email.

That is why I also do one one one sessions where I work with musicians on everything, from basic theory to optimizing their setup to overcoming writer's block to producing their music. An outsider you trust can help you get better.

Also, playing live and DJaying your own music is brutally honest feedback.

Regarding your own listening habits - work on them. It does no good to isolate yourself. Listen to the people in your situation and maybe even genre (I am sure you are not the only one doing neurotic dance music, even if the name is yours :-)). Find a language, get in touch with others, help each other out, collaborate.

Good luck!
slumberjack
thevegasnerve wrote:
Well, it’s certainly hard to create your own voice with all the product now available to us. It can feel as it’s all been done. I only listen to music from aspiring artists at this point, as I learn much more from my peers and want to support them. But yes, even when I do make music the question begs does anyone care? Well in the end, nobody does “you” better than yourself. Which means I guess to just play what you feel regardless of style. Taking out the idea of career opens this possibility up, meaning that our only chance at finding our voice is to remove as many filters (e.g., style, money, ego, admiration of gear) as we can.

Not sure if that helps or relates to your struggles.

your word reflect my state of mind very well. i'm over the career filter since i'd say 5 years. guess it's the kill your darling thing which often expands your conciousness because you see the bigger picture instead having focus triggered by some nice pattern/fortunate goal/good looks.
slumberjack
Hainbach wrote:
Many artists struggle with this problem, especially in the pseudo-feedback internet world we live in.

I get almost daily mails from people I have never met wanting feedback for their music. More than I can answer now, but I when I do I take the time to give honest and useful criticism. But on the internet its a toned down version of what I would say in person, because its a too difficile topic to discuss via email.

That is why I also do one one one sessions where I work with musicians on everything, from basic theory to optimizing their setup to overcoming writer's block to producing their music. An outsider you trust can help you get better.

Also, playing live and DJaying your own music is brutally honest feedback.

Regarding your own listening habits - work on them. It does no good to isolate yourself. Listen to the people in your situation and maybe even genre (I am sure you are not the only one doing neurotic dance music, even if the name is yours :-)). Find a language, get in touch with others, help each other out, collaborate.

Good luck!

sure i'm not the only one, as the people around me so quite wierd art too.
and we're not the only ones out the. all of us do only stand on the shoulders of giants - as we say where i come from.

i've been i bit unclear, i'm not isolated. there's a group of i'd say 10 people around and constant feedback, sharing work and ideas. some of them are interlinked too. and i always listen to everythings from everone i know in person that crossed my way (well...tbh some i skip. quite often.) i wanted to point out, how irrelevant most of the comments are to the discussion about music it self, most of them are only to the very subjective matter of the own experience of the listerns related. that's not a bad thing actually! it's what we all do, everday, with every piece, we relate our selfs to it. we can't hide. we can't run. the break on to the other side might be possible yes, for a short time. it's how our brain works.

seems like you're a nice guy and that you have lots of time to share for people reaching out. and this quote about playing your tracks out is so right.
that's why i feels like jumping down a dark rabbit hole, before you try.
slumberjack
you know what? a few hours later i moved my lazy ass and loaded the album up on bandcamp. it's linked in my signature now. feels good.
Panason
I remember when I started making ( more like trying to make) dance music back in the 90s. One day I walked into a record shop to check out the latest underground ( white label) releases. I left feeling severely defeated. My stuff was nowhere near. I had to take a long break to re-assess everything. Yep, being able to mix vinyl didn't mean being able to make tunes... a tough realisation.

Quote:
working for two days on this composition, just recorded the final take

Two days?? Try 4 months! You're doing fine!
Quote:

uwe schmidts / atom hearts sublabel

ooh, I used to listen to Atom Heart's stuff back then. What is the name of the label?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1