MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

to compose vs. to release
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author to compose vs. to release
Panason
Quote:
i'm working for a small dance label, i can put ep out there, which is a huge priveledge to me.

Yep, that's a lot more than what most people have...

You don't have to work like a machine pumping out music!

Finishing tracks is technical, not fun, boring, too much like work... Having to listen to your own tune over and over can really kill it!

I'm not often motivated to get a track to the point where it can be sent off for mastering because I know that the chance of it getting anywhere are near zero, regardless of how good it is. I have connections with producers, promoters and labels but I just can't be bothered to play the networking/ ass kissing game .

When I decided to get back into music making, the plan was to create a live act, ideally using only hardware. But, to get to play out I have to be able to show people examples of my work, so the need to finish tracks and put them out there isn't going away.
Then I remembered what it was like to do live sets: underpaid for the amount of effort required, and the risk to the equipment, having to deal with jealous DJs (who get paid just as much or more) and asshole promoters on coke, etc etc. Yeah I love doing this but I don't love it SO much... especially knowing that 90% of the audience doesn't care about how live a "live set" is!

So I just decided to stop worrying about any of that shit and just make the tunes that I want to make, and think about exposure later when I have more than a handful of nearly finished tracks.

I don't care for the modern-day disposable nature of dance music, the push for quantity over quality, the supposed need to be constantly posting on social media because the audience has very short attention span. They can fuck off!

Not being driven by ego needs is important for the soul and spirit, IMO, but probably won't make you famous!
slumberjack
anybody know this feeling: when you're at the studio putting together a few tracks, building the foundation of a new composition/song and you got this overwhelming feeling like 'now after years of work, finally i wrote the hit?

i mean the energy that comes with this is good, it helps finish stuff to a point where the mixdown and minor changes are the only thing to do. then you listen to the tune for a couple of weeks until it starts to fade and you feel embarassed about yourself fallen again in the hit-trap?

you know there's this modern deep (minimal) house label called 'delusions of grandeur'. so i cannot be the only one... wink

btw. the small label i'm on is really small, there are not more than 250 plays on sc for the title track of my ep, released two years ago. but no problem i feel comfortable with the guy who's running it, he's a friend to share not only music and stuff but time.
mousegarden
slumberjack wrote:
anybody know this feeling: when you're at the studio putting together a few tracks, building the foundation of a new composition/song and you got this overwhelming feeling like 'now after years of work, finally i wrote the hit?

i mean the energy that comes with this is good, it helps finish stuff to a point where the mixdown and minor changes are the only thing to do pretty good. then you listen to the tune for a couple of weeks until it starts to fade and you feel embarassed about yourself fallen again in the hit-trap?

you know there's this modern deep (minimal) house label called 'delusions of grandeur'. i cannot be the only one... wink

btw. the small label i'm on is really small, there are not more than 250 plays on sc for the title track of my ep, released two years ago. but no problem i feel comfortable with the guy who's running it, he's a friend to share not only music and stuff but time.

This feeling you talk about? I think, I've had it twice in my entire life.
The thing is, when I'm in the studio doing this supposedly brilliant track, I'm never aware that anything extraordinary is happening. It's only after the event, weeks probably, that it stands out as being a bit special.
I'm also on a very small label, and like you, just enjoy being with a like minded friend making music and spending time.
felixer
well, i just make things. sometimes alone sometimes with others. whatever is good (to my subjective mind) gets released. not thru a label but it is made public. then it is out of my hands. some like it, some don't ... that is about all there is to it. the fun comes years later when i hear something i did. 'how the hell did i do that?' and thoughts like that come up ... most of it i still like, although my taste has moved quite a bit ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2