MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Korg Microsampler
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Korg Microsampler
anselmi
I was looking for a chromatic sampler that was easy to use, with straightforward STEREO sampling, easy backup and good connectivity and maybe this could be the one.

I read some reviews and the (very few) threads about it here but oppinions are very different from user to user, and don't cover what I'd want to know.

So, this is:

1. is it easy to just take 1 sample and play it chromatically? I mean, this thing organize samples in banks of several ones, that you can save, but also it seems to be the possibility of taking just 1 sample and spread it across the keyboard ... this is my main interest.

2. it seems that it's possible to multi-sample 1 instrument note-by-note and then save it as a bank, so I could have a very good multisample instrument by doing this, right? of course not velocity zones, but keyboard zones in a sample-per-note basis

3. MIDI: does the parameters receive MIDI? does it sends CC?

thanks!

EDIT: administrators (and patriotic members) please note that I said that I just passed the "search" phase, but there was very little info about this topic, so please don't block this thread. I ALWAYS use the search and then, if I don't find what I'm looking for I ask.
th0mas
I had one for a short while. I don't think you would succeed with chromatic multisampling with it. It is also relatively lo fi.

It excels in glitchy resampling and layering of fx, and building performances based around mixed chromatic and one shot samples.

It was fun but a bit of a pain to operate so I returned to using my mpc1000 when I want to use a hardware sampler. You would need a midi keyboard but an mpc would solve your problems handily.
anselmi
th0mas wrote:
I don't think you would succeed with chromatic multisampling with it.

I thought that maybe this mode where you just assign a group of keys to sample different sounds on it would be great for some acoustic instruments

Quote:
It is also relatively lo fi.

I like this

Quote:
It was fun but a bit of a pain to operate so I returned to using my mpc1000 when I want to use a hardware sampler.

wow! for me the MPC way is pretty cumbersome!

and for the videos this thing seems to be quite easy to navigate...what are the tricky parts?

thanks for share your experience!
scozbor
Help me understand what chromatic multisampling means and I can test it out for you if you like. I have a microsampler and love it.
anselmi
scozbor wrote:
Help me understand what chromatic multisampling means and I can test it out for you if you like. I have a microsampler and love it.

I mean the good-old sampler method of sample, say, a piano, note-by-note and map them in a range of the keyboard, so you don´t have the transposition artifacts

I like both methods for different reasons, but have a sampler with an easy way of do this multisample mapping would be great
scozbor
Oh ok. This is totally fine. Easy to do to. You can literally get it to sample each new sound (threshold detection) onto the next key.

Not sure what the modes are called, but in one mode you have a different sample on each key. No probs.

In the other mode you take one sample and map it across the keyboard = transposition.

In this scenario one bank will be dedicated to the piano sounds.

I would be surprised if you ran out of RAM in the bank for this, even at 16/48
(I think that's as high as it gets, might be wrong). Unless you have long tails on the notes... YMMV
col
I have one, I disagree with the Lo-Fi statement. I use mine live as a bank of 48khz, stereo, one shot and vocals samples that I trigger from a BeatStep Pro. The sound quality is amazing, especially through big PAs. I just tried a sample in "keyboard" mode and the spread across the keyboard sounds fine.
d2ba
Expensive option:MPC-X and bluetooth midi keyboard (Roland A-01K) is your solution
Cheaper: Elektron may release a Digitrakt style sampler in a Analog Keys enclosure
anselmi
d2ba wrote:
Cheaper: Elektron may release a Digitrakt style sampler in a Analog Keys enclosure

hihi
anselmi
Hi guys, I´m back with 2 more questions about the microsampler

1. I know that you can put it in "keyboard" mode and then select a sample for chromatic playing over the entire keyboard range

can you easily access all the samples in a bank this way? I mean, you goy, say, 36 different synth sounds in a bank (one per key) and then hit the "keyboard" button, then use the sample select mode knob, so is this knob capable of select any of the 36 sounds?

2. is it possible to play a bigger range of keys via MIDI?

extra one : can you control any of the parameters of the sampler and fx via MIDI? stuff like sample start/end or fx parameters

thanks!
Mind Flayer
I'm not sure if my question is different from the OP's question, but here's what I'd like to do, and I'm wondering if the MicroSampler can do this.

On the ASR-10, for example, you can assign a sample to cover be assigned to a range of keys that will be played chromatically, assign another sample to be assigned to the next range of keys, also to be played chromatically, etc.

So, suppose I want to turn a Moog Sub Phatty into a polysynth. What I would do on the ASR-10 is sample a C1 note from the Sub Phatty, assign that to the lowest C key on the ASR-10. Next, I'd sample a C2 note from the Sub Phatty, assign that to the C2 key on the ASR-10. I'd repeat for however many octaves there are on the ASR-10 keyboard. So, once I sampled, say, 7 octaves, I'd have essentially a full range of chromatic sub phatty sounds.

This avoids the problem of simply sampling one note and spreading it out across the entire keyboard -- when you do it the "one note" method, unless you employ some time-stretching function, only the notes relatively close to the original sampled note will sound similar; once you get into lower octaves, the note will be too slow and won't resemble the original; likewise, if you get into higher octaves, the note will be too fast. By taking samples and effectively spreading each one over only one octave, it sounds a lot more like a poly version of a mono synth.

The ASR-10 can definitely do this. And I know the Microsampler can take one sample and spread it out across the whole keyboard, although it just slows down or speeds up the note. But can the Microsampler do the multi-sample approach described above like the ASR-10 can? I looked through the user manual and wasn't able to determine if this is possible.
gentle_attack
anselmi wrote:
d2ba wrote:

hihi

More like seriously, i just don't get it twisted

I haven't even heard that as a rumour until this thread. OP don't hold your breath on that one. Lol.
calaveras
I have not heard anything like that either. And judging by Elektron's user base and past products. The models with keyboards integrated such as the Monomachine and A4 Keys, are not terribly common.
anselmi
Mind Flayer wrote:
I'm not sure if my question is different from the OP's question, but here's what I'd like to do, and I'm wondering if the MicroSampler can do this.

On the ASR-10, for example, you can assign a sample to cover be assigned to a range of keys that will be played chromatically, assign another sample to be assigned to the next range of keys, also to be played chromatically, etc.

So, suppose I want to turn a Moog Sub Phatty into a polysynth. What I would do on the ASR-10 is sample a C1 note from the Sub Phatty, assign that to the lowest C key on the ASR-10. Next, I'd sample a C2 note from the Sub Phatty, assign that to the C2 key on the ASR-10. I'd repeat for however many octaves there are on the ASR-10 keyboard. So, once I sampled, say, 7 octaves, I'd have essentially a full range of chromatic sub phatty sounds.

This avoids the problem of simply sampling one note and spreading it out across the entire keyboard -- when you do it the "one note" method, unless you employ some time-stretching function, only the notes relatively close to the original sampled note will sound similar; once you get into lower octaves, the note will be too slow and won't resemble the original; likewise, if you get into higher octaves, the note will be too fast. By taking samples and effectively spreading each one over only one octave, it sounds a lot more like a poly version of a mono synth.

The ASR-10 can definitely do this. And I know the Microsampler can take one sample and spread it out across the whole keyboard, although it just slows down or speeds up the note. But can the Microsampler do the multi-sample approach described above like the ASR-10 can? I looked through the user manual and wasn't able to determine if this is possible.

yes, you can...it automatically do it when you are in a bank and assign a new sample to the right of the last, leaving more than 1 key...it just spread the sample covering this range between the samples automatically

then you can save it as a bank...there´s room for 8 banks in the flash ROM, that is like a storage device, and then you can load banks by one into operative RAM
Mind Flayer
Awesome, thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1