MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

East Coast Modulation tips and tricks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author East Coast Modulation tips and tricks
josaka
OK.. lets start by saying I love all synthesis. East.. west.. pluto wherever..

but.. I make records.. so I having to fit sounds in with other sounds is more tricky than creating krell or other hordijk/euro bleeps/chaos..

So I am looking for tips to create extreme(or non extreme) but musical modulations..

like this one I use..
(you need a VC ADSR) ..take a velocity CV into a VCA Control> take a 'duplicate' send of your gate/trigger and route it to the input of the VCA > take the output of the VCA and route it into the D on the VC ADSR..

this gives you programmable note decay via the VCA knob or via your sequencer(or both!).. (in my case I use the filter ADSR).. sure you could plug the velocity straight into The D on the ADSR .. but hell thats waaay to straight forward.. (and going via the vca seems to give more curve/lenth options..and we all know that matters. smile )
Dono-Kun Dance
Dilibob
One of the coolest things for getting sounds to fit is using a old school sequencer as an audio oscilator ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_hWfw60TE ) to have each step as a wave amplitude then crank the sequencer speed up with glide set high to create any wave form needed. I'd really like to see more examples of people doing this to solve various problems in matching waveforms. On that video btw, does anyone know how they hooked up the oscilloscope (i.e. I need something easy to align a waveform i see in something like protools, with the sequencer ... and doing it all by ear is kind of hard sometimes).
josaka
nice trick ! smile
jkjelec
FMing a Lowpass Filter cutoff frequency using the same audio Oscillator that is going through the filter is sweet! Especially with a decent amount of resonance and an envelope also sweeping the filter cutoff. Modulate the depth of the FM. It's nice for fitting in because it always sounds "in tune" even when the timbre changes drastically.
ranix
the coolest thing I have learned how to do lately is pass my modulation sources through resonant filters SlayerBadger!
josaka
jkjelec wrote:
FMing a Lowpass Filter cutoff frequency using the same audio Oscillator that is going through the filter is sweet! Especially with a decent amount of resonance and an envelope also sweeping the filter cutoff. Modulate the depth of the FM. It's nice for fitting in because it always sounds "in tune" even when the timbre changes drastically.


using the resonance FM/CV input can be equally edifying..
if you can sync an LFO to the res FM/CV input you can get some very musically useable interesting results.. also.. once again if you run the LFO signal via a the velocity controlled VCA input ..run the LFO out to the CV/FM in.. add in a daw or sequencer for the VCA velocity and all sorts is possible.. from subtle to mental..
Thalassa
One thing that I like to do is PWM at audio frequency.

For example this patch using cross modulation :

VCO2 Square Wave to VCO1 PWM input
VCO1 Triangle Wave to VCO2 PWM input

VCO1 Square wave to VCF and VCF to VCA

To keep modulation rate equal use the same 1V/OCT signal in both VCOs

Experiment with the amount of PWM and also the best results are setting the VCO2 a few octaves higher than the VCO1
sbuge
josaka wrote:
jkjelec wrote:
FMing a Lowpass Filter cutoff frequency using the same audio Oscillator that is going through the filter is sweet! Especially with a decent amount of resonance and an envelope also sweeping the filter cutoff. Modulate the depth of the FM. It's nice for fitting in because it always sounds "in tune" even when the timbre changes drastically.


using the resonance FM/CV input can be equally edifying..
if you can sync an LFO to the res FM/CV input you can get some very musically useable interesting results.. also.. once again if you run the LFO signal via a the velocity controlled VCA input ..run the LFO out to the CV/FM in.. add in a daw or sequencer for the VCA velocity and all sorts is possible.. from subtle to mental..


Also I recommend to feed the (FM)modulating signal trough rectifier (or clipper or distortion units or ... ...).
sbuge
And neat ring modulator trick is this:

First multiply your audio oscillator signal.
and then feed
multiply#1 output straight to ring modulator
and multiply#2 output trough reverb (or delay) to ring modulator.

Tweak amount of reverb (etc.) to get satisfying sounds.
josaka
Thalassa wrote:
One thing that I like to do is PWM at audio frequency.

For example this patch using cross modulation :

VCO2 Square Wave to VCO1 PWM input
VCO1 Triangle Wave to VCO2 PWM input

VCO1 Square wave to VCF and VCF to VCA

To keep modulation rate equal use the same 1V/OCT signal in both VCOs

Experiment with the amount of PWM and also the best results are setting the VCO2 a few octaves higher than the VCO1


I pretty much right now have this patched up.. on 2 of your osc ! the difference is.. Im using ring mod outs to a mixer.. and sync to osc 2..
Thalassa
josaka wrote:

I pretty much right now have this patched up.. on 2 of your osc ! the difference is.. Im using ring mod outs to a mixer.. and sync to osc 2..


I have to test that nanners

And since you have my vcos , did you try to audio modulate de DSC ? You can get also great sounds. Use the modulator vco at a really high frequency and use only the output of the DSC out
josaka
Thalassa wrote:
josaka wrote:

I pretty much right now have this patched up.. on 2 of your osc ! the difference is.. Im using ring mod outs to a mixer.. and sync to osc 2..


I have to test that nanners

And since you have my vcos , did you try to audio modulate de DSC ? You can get also great sounds. Use the modulator vco at a really high frequency and use only the output of the DSC out


actually no.. I did not.. ! strangely i thought of doing something like this the other day.. but I am in the middle of making a boogie track so I am stuck into the CS80 at the moment.. smile
josaka
have to say though your modules are great sounding and super versatile.. I have kept yours and had to lose the 3 Q106 .. also when can I pre order your filter ?.. I can beta if you want..!
Bowman
Oh No!

This is giving me too much stuff to try out and do! hyper
trentpmcd
Bowman wrote:
Oh No!

This is giving me too much stuff to try out and do! hyper

Me too! I have a bad habit of making patches that could be done with a "hard wired" analog synth. It's great to experiment.

Thanks all for the ideas. Been driving everyone in the house crazy tonight with the loud, weird noises coming from my modular lol Rockin' Banana!
gregae
Thalassa wrote:

And since you have my vcos , did you try to audio modulate de DSC ? You can get also great sounds. Use the modulator vco at a really high frequency and use only the output of the DSC out


I tried that on my C104, but all I got was just a slight buzz. Was it suppose to be something more?
Thalassa
gregae wrote:
Thalassa wrote:

And since you have my vcos , did you try to audio modulate de DSC ? You can get also great sounds. Use the modulator vco at a really high frequency and use only the output of the DSC out


I tried that on my C104, but all I got was just a slight buzz. Was it suppose to be something more?


It should sound like this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-q-_cYcl17k
steffengrondahl
Thalassa wrote:
It should sound like this
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-q-_cYcl17k


C104 on my next order thumbs up

BTW: Strange coincidence: The video is exactly 4 years old today jawdrop
Thalassa
steffengrondahl wrote:
BTW: Strange coincidence: The video is exactly 4 years old today jawdrop


eek! eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!
flx
Frequency dividers (or clock dividers at audio rate) are nice too, to create suboctave squarewave signals from a waveform. You could run them through a LPF to smooth the squares, then through a VCA and lastly through a waveshaper. Modulate the VCA to change the volume and effect of the waveshaper and of course modulate that too.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group